Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Listen To Any Song You Like....

Tyger

Nice website - a bit like last.fm but has loads more on it! It looks like it's all user uploaded though as I've been doing some searches and the metadata is all over the place on some tracks - I don't get how this is legal though as the first thing it wanted me to do was upload songs so that they can be sold and I can make money on it?! Sounds shady!

Nevertheless I'm listening to some stuff on there now to ease my hangover!

There's a nice chillout mix of Circa-Forever by Rapid Eye on there I've not heard before :)

..:: Edit ::..

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qi...08142827AAHjoIW

You naughty people :lol:

Cool site, but I must be jinxed. The first song I asked for it couldn't find :crybaby:

(First Light - A.M)

Had to settle for a second choice (which it found straight away :D)

As a slight sidetrack....(pardon the pun)

surely there must be copyright issues with the site as may programs can rip audio from a web stream or sound card ?

I mention this as the songs seem in excellent quality.

**EDIT

was posted at the same time as Aido, so apologies for the same legal question.

Nah that site is dodgy as heck - it doesn't have any license agreements with any of the big labels yet so in theory they're taking money for their songs and it's just sat in an escrow account making them interest - it's a nice site but expect at one point it will go the same way that AllofMP3 did years ago which was awesome - I never used the alternate version of that since it came back though!

I personally wouldn't upload anything as like with p2p you could end up with a nasty letter at some point in the future!

Technically it probably is illegal to listen to them but the RIAA et al always go after the people who share the music initially, they've not sued downloaders yet from what I'm aware?

This is the list of labels they have deals with:

http://www.grooveshark.com/labels-list

Any songs from any of those publishers are legal to download - anything else is not.

Say you've got a few 500GB hard disks full of music you downloaded say off p2p / torrents, Limewire, Napster and NNTP - you could just upload it all to that site and you'd make say 10p everytime someone bought something you uploaded - their argument is just that the money is sat waiting to be paid when an agreement is reached, but I don't see any of the major record labels on that list - I've even tried smaller ones that own the copyright to everything I've listened to so far but there's nothing there.

Really nice idea, but if someone at Warner or Universal has a bad day they could probably get that site taken down pretty easily.

Would be nice if this sort of stuff was legal, but a lot of the record industry is still living in the past.

is there anyway to download the songs ??

torrents bazza..

Can you get in trouble for downloading torrents?

I used to use mininova until I heard of all these people getting letters etc.. I have not down loaded a thing since.

out of millions of user on torrent sites, you would have to be one of the unlucky few to get the letter. just do what tyger would do, hide behind proxy servers..

oh and i do believe that tyger is breaking the T&C's with this post

"* don't break the law. Don't post about things that break the law, or that might encourage others to break the law."

as clearly this site breaks copyright rules..

:lol:

I think suggesting to download music illegally via torrents as opposed to innocently passing on a link I thought people may find useful is more concerning.

I download all my music legally via iTunes. Obviously. :hehe:

Aido: Interesting stuff you dug up there.

I do not wish to speak for him but I am pretty sure Bazza is well aware of other ways of obtaining music.

He wanted to know how to download the songs from THAT site.

You failed by precisely 100% to answer his question.

If I have done the opposite of you then that makes me very happy.

I used to use mininova until I heard of all these people getting letters etc.. I have not down loaded a thing since.

For the content of the Torrent, yes. Actually using a torrent client and downloading with it isn't illegal as it is a communications protocol. Quite a few companies use this for distributed filesharing across their wans.

The problem is, the average home user isn't going to be doing that with their normal data and will more than likely be using it for music, videos, etc. The assumption is made that these are illegal downloads and not your own or paid for media. Some ISP's are making it part of their terms and conditions and sending out letters based on traffic moving across certain ports on the assumption people were doing this, but it was nothing more. The letters were very cleverly worded. Some people along with this were having their contracts cancelled or bandwidth throttled due to high downloads and commonly used torrent ports open.

ISPs generally have no [legal] proof you are downloading copyrighted/protected media. It takes an awful lot of get a court order to monitor someone traffic directly as it covers quite a few separate laws. Sharing a few films every week isn't going to do it.

If you are going to use a torrent client, (for legal reasons obviously) use something like utorrent which can pick a random port for you or use one that is used by another protocol. This will prevent the port triggers at the ISPs. You can do a search and see which ISPs allege to monitor their ports.

For the content of the Torrent, yes. Actually using a torrent client and downloading with it isn't illegal as it is a communications protocol. Quite a few companies use this for distributed filesharing across their wans.

The problem is, the average home user isn't going to be doing that with their normal data and will more than likely be using it for music, videos, etc. The assumption is made that these are illegal downloads and not your own or paid for media. Some ISP's are making it part of their terms and conditions and sending out letters based on traffic moving across certain ports on the assumption people were doing this, but it was nothing more. The letters were very cleverly worded. Some people along with this were having their contracts cancelled or bandwidth throttled due to high downloads and commonly used torrent ports open.

ISPs generally have no [legal] proof you are downloading copyrighted/protected media. It takes an awful lot of get a court order to monitor someone traffic directly as it covers quite a few separate laws. Sharing a few films every week isn't going to do it.

If you are going to use a torrent client, (for legal reasons obviously) use something like utorrent which can pick a random port for you or use one that is used by another protocol. This will prevent the port triggers at the ISPs. You can do a search and see which ISPs allege to monitor their ports.

Thanks Geoff