Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Throttle Position Sensor.

Hi gang, happy new year to you all.

Right then, I need a throttle position sensor as mine is playing up and the car is kangarooing (is that even a word?) if I stomp on the loud pedal and the revs go above 2000 rpm. Tried adjusting it but still no joy.

Where's the best place (read, cheapest) to get one from?

The car is an 1990 LS400.

Taralot. :blush:

Are you sure its the sensor at fault?

Have you ruled out the fuel pump and fuel filter first because that sounds strangely like fuel stavation to me.

Mate of mine had the same symptoms on a Rover Vitesse, I spotted what it was straight away because the pumps on those are quite noisy.

I have to agree it's worth checking other possibilities 1st as suggested, a faulty TPS will normally log a fault code so it may also be worth doing a code read 1st.

If you weren't so far away I would check the TPS using my 'scope to read live data for you.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll be ordering from the States then if I want new. Any recommendations of suppliers?

The T/B is clean, starts and idles fine, plugs, leads, rotor arms, ignitors etc are all fine, it's just misfiring if I accelerate hard. Doesn't seem to misfire if I rev it when stationary though, so I'm thinking it's got to be the TPS. I'll check it over with a multi meter first though.

cheers all.

Thanks for the replies, it looks like I'll be ordering from the States then if I want new. Any recommendations of suppliers?

The T/B is clean, starts and idles fine, plugs, leads, rotor arms, ignitors etc are all fine, it's just misfiring if I accelerate hard. Doesn't seem to misfire if I rev it when stationary though, so I'm thinking it's got to be the TPS. I'll check it over with a multi meter first though.

cheers all.

Are you sure its missing? Rather than a miss does it feel like the car has suddenly become "choked"

Are you sure its missing? Rather than a miss does it feel like the car has suddenly become "choked"

Yeah thats it, a bit like the fuel delivery is momentarily shut off causing me to be thrown forwards in the seat even though I'm still pressing the accelerator.. It happens around 2000 rpm every time.