Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Oem Satnav Compatibility With Is200

Hi Guys,

I had a chat with Lexus yesterday about getting an OEM Satnav installed in my car and was advised that cars with a Chasis number starting 18 cannot have the satnav installed!!

And even if the Chasis number starts 19, they'll have to check the manufactured specs to see if it can accommodate one!

Does anyone know about this?

I am terribly disappointed coz i had a great offer from a breakers for a full satnav unit but appears its no good to me:(

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

BM

Hi 2 be honest having a oem satnav is gr8 but if ur car hasnt had it factory fitted then 2 install it nw wud be a headache, the loom behind the dash wud need changin. Not really worth the hassle or time i had same problem, although the housing cud com in2 use. Another member if u search has installed his own satnav usin the original housing. alot better in my opinion.

...............not a load of extra wiring etc.

Stav

well maybe just a little bit :winky:

Patrik has made a great job with his Sony Sat-Nav into OE Sat-Nav housing, though he has a fully equipped

workshop and some skills too :whistling:

I have a word document with dissassembly details/pictures/part numbers to help if you go down that route mate.

How much does the breaker want for just the Sat-nav housing unit ?

thanks for the replies guys, and for the link. I'll have a look rightaway!

Woz, the breakers quoted me just over 200 for the entire SatNav unit including the housing, wiring, black box and screen and assured me that anything that is part of the satnav will be included in the package too!

as the guys have said above if its not standard then its prob not worth it. For what its worth i have the oem sat nav installed and its not that great.

I have installed a double din nav unit and used the pop up screen as a second monitor.

I think the other problem that you hav is that the NAV unit itself looks for the oem amp as a polling device and the oem head unit so you may also need to install an oem amp and on top of that the correct OEM Head unit or a bypass box made by member on here (Fargo)

TBH its more hassle than its worth but as mentioned, you could use the pop up housing and add a second monitor as the others hav.. A lot of work and some good fabrication skills needed but looks pretty neat!

I think wozzas walk through is pretty comprehensive so if you can get him to come down a but on the screen housing then you should be in business.. would say about £200 is a good price..

That's good for someone who has a faulty system, but not a gamble I would fancy undertaking.

It could well be possible to fit it if all the loom etc was included, but I would suggest going down

the route Partik has, would be a far easier solution IMO, and can be made to look (nearly) OE.

If you need the word doc, send me a pm with a full email address.

the nav mod does look good but once you add up the costs..

£150 (nav unit)

£100+ screen/satnav

£30/£40 on materials

and a lot of time!!

decent double din nav unit £530 +facia (£15)

kenwood nav

but this also gives you dvd, ipod and usb playback

for a bit more if you want extra security and features then there is also

jvc nav

with a detachable face for £615

£150 (nav unit)

£100+ screen/satnav

£30/£40 on materials

and a lot of time!!

kenwood nav

jvc nav

thats the thing you see. i am new to the modding scene, so was looking for an OEM which i assumed in my naivity, would go in without much of a trouble.

So i am in two minds as to whether i spend the 300 odd quid and a lot of my time and effort or just cough up the extra and buy one off the shelf.

Am i ok to assume that i wont need any exta wiring (not a lot!) to setup the Kenwood/jvc that you suggest above? apart from bypassing the amp.

£150 (nav unit)

£100+ screen/satnav

£30/£40 on materials

and a lot of time!!

kenwood nav

jvc nav

thats the thing you see. i am new to the modding scene, so was looking for an OEM which i assumed in my naivity, would go in without much of a trouble.

So i am in two minds as to whether i spend the 300 odd quid and a lot of my time and effort or just cough up the extra and buy one off the shelf.

Am i ok to assume that i wont need any exta wiring (not a lot!) to setup the Kenwood/jvc that you suggest above? apart from bypassing the amp.

i think it will be a lot of trouble to get it to work.. You have listed an s model and as far as i know this doesnt come with an amp so it will prob wont be possible without lots of blood, sweat and tears!!

My opinion would be to get a double din unit. if you dont have the amp then no bypass cable is needed and 'should' plug straight in although an iso cable might be needed and a facia panel which will require a little trimming.

oh, and i case you werent aware, if you did go for the oem sat nav, you would also need the centre console remote control dock and remote + the entire nav loom from front to rear of the vehicle..

and it doesnt do postcode search, speed cameras or work whilst moving!!

i think it will be a lot of trouble to get it to work.. You have listed an s model and as far as i know this doesnt come with an amp so it will prob wont be possible without lots of blood, sweat and tears!!

My opinion would be to get a double din unit. if you dont have the amp then no bypass cable is needed and 'should' plug straight in although an iso cable might be needed and a facia panel which will require a little trimming.

You need the autoleads MR2 iso lead if you have the S model.

Bluff just sent the doc to you.

As Redz says above there are simpler options with a Nav DVD Double DIN head unit,

(plus of course you get to play DVD's as well - just no when driving !!)

but it wouldn't be anywhere near the top of the dash level like Patrik's solution.

Best of luck whatever you decide, & don't forget to keep us updated with pics etc whatever route you go down.

BTW Bluff your hotmail doesn't work........

soz mate my address - hopefully correct this time is binoyjeet at h0tmail dot com

Looks like i am just gonna have to cough up the extra cash and buy the double din unit. I cant seem to think i could do all the work that Patrik did without screwing up the electrics of my car even if I had the tools!

oh well, no quick fix then.

but thanks for your replies guys, very much appreciated and i will indeed post the pics when i get the unit fixed. i'll prob bother you all for help again, soon!

Thanks

oh, and i case you werent aware, if you did go for the oem sat nav, you would also need the centre console remote control dock and remote + the entire nav loom from front to rear of the vehicle..

Thats a lil strange unless i'm being taken for a ride by the mechanic (which is very well possible!) coz they told me I had an amp.

The reason i took it to a mechanic was to get the xcarlink adapter plugged in and paid 70 quid!

I read in another post where the amp should be, so i'll check that out this weekend.

Thats a lil strange unless i'm being taken for a ride by the mechanic (which is very well possible!) coz they told me I had an amp.

The reason i took it to a mechanic was to get the xcarlink adapter plugged in and paid 70 quid!

I read in another post where the amp should be, so i'll check that out this weekend.

what model lexus do you have??

might be worth checking the log book as that will show the correct mode if your not sure..

the se and sport have the amp..

let us know how you get on!

OK,

I cant believe what i am going to say, but looks like I will attempt to build the mod like Patrik has done!

I'll talk to the breakers tomorrow and see how much it'll cost me for just the housing. Could you tell me what parts i'll need?

I am guessing i will not need the wiring loom and should be able to power the thing from the existing one?

Finally, considering i am a complete novice at this I might need some help off you guys if thats ok.

Cheers

BM