Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Traction Control Light Flashing

jeffrosie

Hi all, wonder if this has happened to anybody else.

Was on the motorway today and the Traction Control light started to flash continously and the ECU light came on and stayed on. Switching off the engine and restarting did not make a difference, both lights still stayed on. Did not make a difference to the way the car ran, which is faultless.

Any ideas as I just don't know where to begin.

Car is a 2001 IS200 Sport.

You just need to pop to a local garage with an OBD-II reader to get the error code(s) read so that you can see exactly what caused it to light up in the first place.

The other option is reset the ECU which will get rid of the light - but it also clears the codes and if it's something bad you don't want to be doing that!

Just pop in a local garage and see if they can help, most will have the readers they can just plug straight in :)

Was on the motorway today and the Traction Control light started to flash continously and the ECU light came on and stayed on. Switching off the engine and restarting did not make a difference, both lights still stayed on. Did not make a difference to the way the car ran, which is faultless.

Sounds like a coilpack gone :o

Sounds like a coilpack gone :o

Surely not a coil pack it the car runs fine?

Sounds like a coilpack gone

What coilpack are you talkin about Gord??

You have six coil packs, one for each cylinder :D that sit on top of the spark plug. Had the same problem with mine, sometime ago now.

@ Stav, its hard to tell if your car running right, if only one coil pack is down, being 6 cylinder and very smooth.

Help!!! Just read this thread and its got me worried now. I went to see my car yesterday and the rad needs changing as its got a leak but we tried some radweld in the engine and it didnt work but I noticed the TRC light flashing and also the ABS light was on as well. I told the garage they werent on to start with but havent brought it up properly with them as had to sort out the rad issue first. Will someone tell me why this has happened as the car aint been getting driven as its in the bodyshop at the moment.

Help!!! Just read this thread and its got me worried now. I went to see my car yesterday and the rad needs changing as its got a leak but we tried some radweld in the engine and it didnt work but I noticed the TRC light flashing and also the ABS light was on as well. I told the garage they werent on to start with but havent brought it up properly with them as had to sort out the rad issue first. Will someone tell me why this has happened as the car aint been getting driven as its in the bodyshop at the moment.

I could be wrong about this, but I *think* that the TRC system uses the ABS sensors, i.e. to detect the speed at which the wheels are turning. It's possible that an ABS sensor might have been damaged during the repair work.

oh ffs....I see what you mean mate. From what I remember when I was sifting thru the car before it went to the garage I found a card in it from lexus with a quote for an ABS sensor on the back. I'll be having a stern word with the garage regarding this issue. Where abouts are the ABS sensors? The car was jacked up at the time when I saw the lights on but it was lowered in front of me and the lights were still on but the car was not turned off then on again so I didnt see if any lights were to reset.

The procedures you've linked to there mention a hand held tester, does this mean an OBD II scanner? By looking at the diagrams I think its the ABS sensor that they've probably moved or disconnected as the front end of the car was stripped and one of the arch liners removed so somewhere along the line they've messed up I think.

The procedures you've linked to there mention a hand held tester, does this mean an ODB II scanner?

Yes, I think so.

By looking at the diagrams I think its the ABS sensor that they've probably moved or disconnected as the front end of the car was stripped and one of the arch liners removed so somewhere along the line they've messed up I think.

Yes, it sounds like it !

The procedures you've linked to there mention a hand held tester, does this mean an ODB II scanner? By looking at the diagrams I think its the ABS sensor that they've probably moved or disconnected as the front end of the car was stripped and one of the arch liners removed so somewhere along the line they've messed up I think.

it is an obdII scanner but very advanced, it can read the pulse signals off the sensors etc. all depends what software u have loaded on the laptop.

the ABS cables are easily damaged but firstly I would check if the sensors have been correctly installed as its easy to fit them incorrectly aligned/properly inserted.