Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is250 Engine Rattle On Cold Start

ashpilot

My IS250 is coming up to 20K and 1 Year old. Recently it has started sounding like a diesel tractor when stated from cold. It seems to pull alright but under load the rattle can be clearly heard inside the car until the engine has warmed up. On closer inspection with a lond screw driver the noise seems to be coming from the left hand side rear end of the engine (around the fuel Pump). The sound is like a very noisy injector.

Anybody had the same? Its due in for service next week and would be nice to point the techs in the right direction to save me numerous visits to the dealership.

Thanks.

My IS250 is coming up to 20K and 1 Year old. Recently it has started sounding like a diesel tractor when stated from cold. It seems to pull alright but under load the rattle can be clearly heard inside the car until the engine has warmed up. On closer inspection with a lond screw driver the noise seems to be coming from the left hand side rear end of the engine (around the fuel Pump). The sound is like a very noisy injector.

Anybody had the same? Its due in for service next week and would be nice to point the techs in the right direction to save me numerous visits to the dealership.

Thanks.

hi,

Just had the intermittent rattle on start up fix done at 3 year service ,the IS250 auto sel is now 3 years old with some 25k on the clock and would agree with you that the lump can sound noisy during the warm up period .over the Christmas break I have put the BMW 320d auto M sport in the garage and left the Lexus out over night and it’s the most I have driven it for a long time .When starting up and driving from cold the engine in my opinion is hmmmm not as quiet as I think it should be ,the cold also shows up all the old interior rattle issues . taking the IS back in for the last of the warranty work and will mention it to the service manager and post his comments .

cheers

swager

Thanks.

It's a well known fault and there's a technical service information bulletin (TSIB) issued by Lexus on it, and how to fix it with a top end rebuild. It's TSIB EG017-07 for the States but I understand there's now a UK specific TSIB (don't know why it should be different) and covers '06-'07 IS250 models. Previous thread here http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...ttle+cold+start

• 3 weeks later...

tango..on that lexustsb.com website, theres 2WD and 4WD on them...they just available in the states? didnt know they had diff options for the is250..

also do you know what the engine in the 250 is called? is it the 2GR-FSE?

tango..on that lexustsb.com website, theres 2WD and 4WD on them...they just available in the states? didnt know they had diff options for the is250..

also do you know what the engine in the 250 is called? is it the 2GR-FSE?

The V6 250 engine is the 4GR-FSE, it's the V6 350 that has the 2GR-FSE.

In Europe we only get the 2WD/RWD 250 and only in Europe do we suffer the 220D (which has the 2AD-FHV engine). Japan, USA and Canada get the 350 and 250 4WD & 2WD. The 4WD 250 is the only one to ride slightly higher than the rest as it's height is 1440 mm (56.7"), rather than 1425 mm (56.1").

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

starkey 444 -

please revisit your lexus dealership and ask them to speak to andy in lexus technical if your fault has re-appeared. the fault lies with-in the vvti units. its not a major issue and can be easily fixed.