• 45 to 50
    • 50+
  3. 3. Motorway/Unrestricted A road running

• 40 to 45
    • 45 to 50
    • 50 to 55
    • 55 to 60
    • Above 60

A chance to be honest with what you got out of your IS220d mpg wise for all those who are considering buying one and can't be bothered to wade through the countless threads on the subject. It isn't a dig, just a chance to simplify the issue.

it's been done to death,must be very boring over at volvo forums phlthy.

Not on there much. Popped over here to see if the diesel was still getting the bad press. SHould have bet the house on it. :tomato:

New Years Resolution philthy.... Get over it!

You, like many, are unhappy with their 220d's. Just accept the fact that you bought a pup, dgman on the other hand owns one in a million, it's 100% reliable, never uses a drop of oil and is more economical than any other ever manufactured.

I know it must be gauling for you but at least be pleased for him.

You, like many, are unhappy with their 220d's. Just accept the fact that you bought a pup, dgman on the other hand owns one in a million, it's 100% reliable, never uses a drop of oil and is more economical than any other ever manufactured.

Now I'm curious. Struggling to see where I've doubted dgman has a decent one or is at least happy with it? This, if read correctly, simply asks owners and previous owners to state what they get/got mpg wise. No tricks, no disparaging remarks. Mine actually appears to have been one of the better performing one's judging by results so far. It isn't a crusade against the IS220d, it's an aid to help anyone thinking of buying one. You never know, it might, just might come out very well as a cross section mpg.

Right I'm back off to Volvo to discuss towing caravans and pipe tobacco as I forgot the golden rule, you can't post on here if you don't own a Lexus and think they're the best thing going. Enjoy. :winky:

Many drivers of 220d found out that the car was very different re gear ratios etc. Others thrashed the hell out of it and others had many rants because it had to be the car not them. I remember reading many threads from Philthy...to be fair and unbiased he stands out as one of the most critical who was in continuous denial and disbelief that others were able to get the expected performance from the car.

I believe this thread of his to be stirring the pot once more but I can see from responses that others feel the same way.

Philthy you had issues with your dealer as I remember and proceeded to take it out on the car??????????

To try to mock dgman as a culprit because he's happy with his car is disingenuous and completely unwarranted...additionaly to make a comment about having to be a Lexus owner before being allowed to comment on this site is to say the least a snide low-grade remark which many on here will resent.

You had choices, others had choices and we made them. We as a motoring community will comment on what we find to be of interest on a site which is designed for owners but open to individuals with constructive comments and contributions.

Make a New Years resolution not to begrudge people who are happy with their choices, any thing else take it up with Lexus...through the courts if you have to!

Time to let it drop, I hold you no ill will but to be fair to all you've had more than your fair share of Lexus bashing when an owner or as I understand it now not an owner.

The decision you made was right for you...our decisions were right for us....end of story.

Errr Make that 2 in a Million Mine dont touch oil Either (car registered 30/12/05 one of the first) and i usually get 40MPG (Which i am Happy With)

and touch me head (wood) mine too has never let me down. just the usual recalls,

and people wanting to get a closer look, and kissing my Bumper on the rear, Two rear bumpers in the space of 2

months, 1 Hoda Civic driver & 1 Ford Focus Driver.

SO I AM HAPPY TOO

And MR VOLVO GET A LIFE try counting the holes between a sheet of First class Stamps

then think how boring that is, after you have done it think why do i keep going on & on about MPG

Matt

This is actually a really interesting poll and confirms my own experience with a 220d - the "band" of fuel efficiency in this model is really pretty narrow, in that I get very similar MPG in very different conditions. Whereas you might expect town and M-way to give very different results, my 220d gives low to mid-30s in town, and mid-30s to low (v. low) 40s on the M-way. And it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it either - so my motto is just go for it - the impact on MPG is minimal.

This is actually a really interesting poll and confirms my own experience with a 220d - the "band" of fuel efficiency in this model is really pretty narrow, in that I get very similar MPG in very different conditions. Whereas you might expect town and M-way to give very different results, my 220d gives low to mid-30s in town, and mid-30s to low (v. low) 40s on the M-way. And it doesn't seem to matter how I drive it either - so my motto is just go for it - the impact on MPG is minimal.

LIkewise JFB2 - the problem is that there are some cars which owners are happy with. Many Lexus owners who have had the IS Gen1 will be, because it was hardly known for economy, so anything over 30 mpg is a bonus. But byou have to ask why people buy a diesel. It's for largely 2 reasons - economy/environment and company car tax...you have to ask whether the IS220d is economical enough, clean enough, tax efficient enough or whether it's enough of a "Lexus" to justify it...

People also have to ask the question whether the VFM that the IS220d gives is in those area's or kit. Just take a look at the spec of a new Honda Accord top of the range diesel, and see how it compares. Most IS220d would be surprised at how good a car the new shape Accord actually is (if they would be unbiased enough to credit it), and what you get for the money! Most will say it's not a luxury marque...but forget all of that and seriously take a look...just look at how good the engine is...not power or performance, but refinement and economy and turn of speed...

I've never been terribly loyal to a brand of car, and that's why I give the alternative view. Of late I've stopped doing that here...largely 'cos I've been too busy on the other forums...and I got banned on here for apparently gloating...I came back today and am not surprised that the same old types of threads are doing the rounds...

People also have to ask the question whether the VFM that the IS220d gives is in those area's or kit. Just take a look at the spec of a new Honda Accord top of the range diesel, and see how it compares. Most IS220d would be surprised at how good a car the new shape Accord actually is (if they would be unbiased enough to credit it), and what you get for the money! Most will say it's not a luxury marque...but forget all of that and seriously take a look...just look at how good the engine is...not power or performance, but refinement and economy and turn of speed...

you still have to think that you have a premium car - I am not saying that accord is a bad car (I have not driven it yet, but I was sitting inside), but at least here you will not get in honda such a customer care as with lexus. Also, I am not saying that it is the most important in my world, but even within business partners lexus sounds still MUCH better than honda.

I don't know about the pricing in the UK, but here the executive version of accord is very closely priced to the IS220d luxury (SE-L you call it?) - and that is with the 150hp diesel.

When I mach it up with the interior, which is same as lexus - small inside, I see no reason for buying the accord.

I don't know how you, but I don't want anymore strong diesel car with front wheel drive, as I don't want to "fight" with the steering wheel...

but we are again far from the topic.

You are saying, that some of the owners are happy - when I look at the results, I see absolutely correct consumption for luxury 177hp sedan.

EDIT: I am reading a test of C5 2.2hdi/accord 2.2ictdi/mondeo tdci and accord is the loudest!

I think the lines are blurring a lot nowadays between the manufacturers - just because a Honda isn't wearing an Acura badge doesn't mean it's not luxury :)

Heck a lot of people seem to forget that until the current models nearly everything was badged as Toyota in Japan :) I've even just ordered all the Toyota badges from Japan to badge mine back from Lexus to Toyota!

I like the Hondas though, really like the Accords too - the shape is to me more like what the new IS should have looked like!

As for customer care - there are people who get fantastic service from Honda, and there are also people that get terrible service from Lexus! Yes there are always expectations with luxury marques but sometimes a lot of it is badge snobbery!

It's all swings and roundabouts, but at the end of the day, if it's from Japan - most of it is pretty darned good :winky:

I think the lines are blurring a lot nowadays between the manufacturers - just because a Honda isn't wearing an Acura badge doesn't mean it's not luxury :)

Heck a lot of people seem to forget that until the current models nearly everything was badged as Toyota in Japan :) I've even just ordered all the Toyota badges from Japan to badge mine back from Lexus to Toyota!

I like the Hondas though, really like the Accords too - the shape is to me more like what the new IS should have looked like!

As for customer care - there are people who get fantastic service from Honda, and there are also people that get terrible service from Lexus! Yes there are always expectations with luxury marques but sometimes a lot of it is badge snobbery!

It's all swings and roundabouts, but at the end of the day, if it's from Japan - most of it is pretty darned good :winky:

Mine does 33 MPG on ALL roads (!) and that is when I'm driving sensibly. I've asked on another post (sorry about the duplication) but has anyone tried to pursue Lexus (even with legal action under Sale of Goods Act or Trading Standards legislation) becuase the actuasl mpg is nowhere near the figures they advertise in their bumff - and saying the literature's figures is only "a guideline" would not wash!

I'm really angry as my Lexus dealer is just washing his hands of the problem and I need to take it further.

Any experiences or success stories would be greatly appreciated.

Aido - you're spot on. I went to the US a few months ago and drove an Acura TL 3.2, I was amazed at how japanese it looked and felt, but how well it drove. It was 4 years old, 65000 miles on the clock, but really felt crisp and new...and I would seriously hope that Honda do follow Nissan's Infinity and bring the Acura here (unless they go bust first!!)...

The new Accord is a very good car, and I would not dismiss it if I wanted a Jap car..

Back on topic - Mick77, many of us worked really hard with our dealers, and got no where - inspite of several remaps and new bits and pices, the economy only got worse with miles (at least on mine it did). I went from high 40's when the car had 5000-7500 miles to mid 30's when it had 20k on the clock...the only thing mine never had changed (AFAIK) was the EGR.

I had it from new and followed a strict running in regime etc, always garaged, polished/detailed in fanatic style and non-Supermarket fuels...made no difference...and the oil consumption wasn't too clever either...some months it wouldn't take a drop, others it would gulp a litre or 2 every thousand miles...