Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Remote Folding Mirrors

Ok guys, here's some photos of mine:

I never had a red & white striped wire here so i found this thick white wire with +12v constant feed.

dsc04342se5.jpg

Where I made the alarm trigger connection (soldered then covered with insulating tape)

dsc04346ek9.jpg

The mirror & footwell connections

dsc04344vb2.jpg

The finished article awkwardely positioned due to the size of the box (double sided tape!)

dsc04350jp4.jpg

The way it seems to work is that when the car is locked the mirrors come in & they retract when the ignition is switched on. The mirrors function manually through the button as well - I mention this because i thought the mirrors would come in when the car is unlocked & come back out again when the button was pressed again rather than with the ignition - but dont get me wrong i'm not dissapointed in the slightest :)

• Replies 125
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep - that's how they work. I wanted a minimum of standby current so never built the extra circuitry to "wait" for the alarm off signal.

It does say it in the very first paragraph:

"The mirrors will open again once you switch the ignition on." :P

Glad you're still pleased though.

If you want them open for washing the car or something but still have the car locked, simply close them by their normal close button. When you set the alarm they will open for you.

It's annoying that they still don't retract on the IS250. I'm going to have to look into doing it.

Ok, for the total closure you will need to add this circuit:

full.JPG

The part that says "Connect to relay coil of closure unit" will connect to here:

relaycon.JPG

If someone could meter the joint and find the +/- I can't quite make it out.

It wouldn't be important except there are a couple of diodes across the relay coils to prevent reverse emf into the circuit. The diodes are 1n4148

Have a read of this, there is some more info HERE

I have no photo's of the install I'm afraid but a few people have on here so maybe they have some and will post accordingly.

Usual disclaimer - it is totally at your own risk. I am showing you only how to do it. If anything untoward happens to the car or you grow another head whilst doing this I deny all responsibility.

The problem with step by step guide is some people will come back and point a finger of blame if any issues occur

(however minor or major they may be). This kind of mod must be clearly done at your own risk.

I just want people to be aware of any dangers associated with modifying your electrics in this or other ways,

the risk or blame if something goes wrong is entirely your own, and certainly not Geoffers nor LOC's.

The problem with step by step guide is some people will come back and point a finger of blame if any issues occur

(however minor or major they may be). This kind of mod must be clearly done at your own risk.

I just want people to be aware of any dangers associated with modifying your electrics in this or other ways,

the risk or blame if something goes wrong is entirely your own, and certainly not Geoffers nor LOC's.

ye i agree 100% with that

on the end of the guide as everyone else does just put the usual At Your Risk

Well did mine yesterday and it worked 100% correctly first time. So THANK YOU TO ALL INVOLVED, I will get the drinks if we meet in the flesh!!

My only addition would be I found the large White wire situated top left, on the bottom blue connector, to be a perfect switched live. Sorry no photo as camera was at work!! Also wait for the timer to stop before testing the ignition aspect as the mirrors stay where they are when the timer is still on.

All in it took 30 mins to fit.

• 2 weeks later...
Well did mine yesterday and it worked 100% correctly first time. So THANK YOU TO ALL INVOLVED, I will get the drinks if we meet in the flesh!!

My only addition would be I found the large White wire situated top left, on the bottom blue connector, to be a perfect switched live. Sorry no photo as camera was at work!! Also wait for the timer to stop before testing the ignition aspect as the mirrors stay where they are when the timer is still on.

All in it took 30 mins to fit.

Lucky for some, i got the device from eBay but have been trying to install it for last hour no luck, dont think the dark is helping but i was soo eager to get it in

my mirrors open and close fine when pressing the button but nothing happens when i press the alarm with all doors close(well the doors do lock but nothing to the mirrors) so its got to be the power or alarm wires im guessing

fuse isnt blown

im going to try in the morning before i go to work if i wake up early enough fingers crossed i get it done first time

***** EDIT *****

I feel like a fool, i had not put the blade fuse in correctly so i had it all wired fine after all - All working peerfect thanks guys :shifty:

• 4 months later...

Just done the mod for the mirrors,thanks for the details and info.

It is working fine but there isn't a time delay as they close as soon as I lock the car.

I put the minute timer on 0 and the seconds to around 5.

Anyone know why the time delay isn't working?

Thanks.

it dont delay the time. it makes the unit turn on for 5secs to close the mirrors then turns off. thats it :)

For some reason I thought there would be a delay. :iraqi-info-minister:

No problem,it is working fine. :D

Thanks for clearing that up.

Please wait a few seconds for Video to Load!

hmmmm, i'm liking the idea of this - never really been too fussed about it as its a force of habit now to do it just before switching the engine off, but it does look pretty cool so might be something i'll look into.

will have to read over this thread and see whats needed.lol!!

This is quite easy to put together and fit,although once it was installed, for some reason they didn't close and then I realised

that the bonnet was still up, as it was open to disconnect the Battery during fitting. :duh:

• 4 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 6 months later...

Final question i hope,

On the diagram it has C1,2,4 as 100nf.

Is that a ra49-cap 0.1uf or a vh38-cap100uf.

I think its gonna be the ra49 can someone just clarify this for me

100nf = 0.1uf they are both the same value capacitance just 2 ways of expressing it so yes ra49 it is

• 7 months later...