Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extra Dials Info

OK I don't think modding the OEM screen just for the sake of a rear view camera is worth the £'s, not when head units with all the extra things like DVD, can be installed with less trouble.

Is there a way that extra gauges (things like the Turbo boost, oil pressure, water temp etc) could be mounted in to the screen holder, i.e. remove the screen and build in a set of gauges. Leaving the interior of the car looking fairly standard and pop open the screen when I want to see the gauges?

Would this just be a nightmare to do, as I know the UK very well having Sat Nav isn't that important.

Hope this makes sense. Oh and does anyone recomend any gauges to use.

OK I don't think modding the OEM screen just for the sake of a rear view camera is worth the £'s, not when head units with all the extra things like DVD, can be installed with less trouble.

Is there a way that extra gauges (things like the Turbo boost, oil pressure, water temp etc) could be mounted in to the screen holder, i.e. remove the screen and build in a set of gauges. Leaving the interior of the car looking fairly standard and pop open the screen when I want to see the gauges?

Would this just be a nightmare to do, as I know the UK very well having Sat Nav isn't that important.

Hope this makes sense. Oh and does anyone recomend any gauges to use.

should be quite easy if you are good with fiberglass!

I know there is another member doing something very similar, but I wait for him to reveal himself :)

The screen area can be relaced with figerglass or even black perspex sheet.

You would probably be best doing this with a Dremel etc, but can't see it being too much of a problem,

compared to those I had when I replaced the OE screen with an LCD of a different size :o

I'm a fan of HKS or Defi guages. You will need to decide on Electrical or Mechanically driven as well.

Stav might be someone to ask as which type would be best.

Good luck, keep us posted (& don't forget the build pics !!)

Speak to Rabster, like Woz said you may have stolen his idea.

Other wise you can buy a pillar pod (ether Nengun, or Prolex)

Or get rid of the screen, make yourself some money selling it and buy a TRD mount?

s_1146469641999.jpg

or a custom job after that,.

Sounds very Pimp My Ride :P I like, as Wozza & others say could be done if you have the skills but I certainly can't help I'm awful at mods. I do very much like the sound of this though & it should just work like the satnav when it pops up so should be able to be done with the right parts.

Good luck lots of pics & vids ;)

GT4 dash

I wonder if they work from the ecu, on A=B=C where C is supposed boost rather than an actual boost measurement, all SAABS boost gauges have nothing to do with what the turbo is actually doing, just clever maths from the ECU.

I think you are right Mr DJ Wozza . I will get something together and follow parts of your ICE thread to get the finish.

I will ask ToyotoGT to leave the wires available in the centre dash so I can play about once it is back from there, gives me a long tome to plan..........

Would the pillar mounted ones would interfear with the airbags?

if you have the Curtain Airbags then yes it interferes so you cant fit them.

If you dont, as i dont, theres not a problem.

Its a good idea about the MPG gauge but an aweful lot of work and prob not very accurate, as i suspect the Celica one isnt accurate either. Esp as theres no numbers etc,

Its a good idea about the MPG gauge but an aweful lot of work and prob not very accurate, as i suspect the Celica one isnt accurate either. Esp as theres no numbers etc,

yea got lots of airbags. Curtain also.

yea got lots of airbags. Curtain also.

You will have to put them somewhere else then, say on top of the dash like i had to, or you may have satnav ?

Another idea (yes I have loads) is change the STD head unit and put 2/3 dials below a single DIN unit.......

Ohh. whilst on this idea is it normal for the standard head unit to have no bass until it is turned up to at least 1/2 volume, or is it the speakers??

Ohh. whilst on this idea is it normal for the standard head unit to have no bass until it is turned up to at least 1/2 volume, or is it the speakers??

What year is the car? Think it's a normal trait to be honest - the really old ones were much better in the bass department - the newer ones were much less bass heavy - I still liked it though!

I'm dangerous with subs though, just ordered a new one as I blew mine up!

What year is the car? Think it's a normal trait to be honest - the really old ones were much better in the bass department - the newer ones were much less bass heavy - I still liked it though!

I'm dangerous with subs though, just ordered a new one as I blew mine up!

Very late 2005. A new head may well lead me to dangerous aftermarket speakers, amps, subs though and really blow the budget...........

Yeah you can put them below the stereo in a single DIN gauge holder, you'll have to get the smaller 52mm gauges though.

Personally i'd suggest the TRD pod on top of the dash with 60mm Defi gauges in.

Stav