Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

K&n Panel Filter Or Custom Cold Air Intake

Hi everyone,

I know, I know that it has been discussed over and over but I am still undecided which one to use.

I would go for the K&N but the OEM box gets quite hot as well so I am not 100% sure that's the best idea. On the other hand, the Prolex kit looks quite good and I might be able to make one my self and add a heat shield over the really hot spots(exhaust, engine cover).In this way I will keep the hot air away from the whole intake pipe. As I think( I might be wrong) that there is no point in getting cold air at the front end and than warm or hot air in the intake plenum caused by the heted intake pipe(that will go over the engine or the exhaust). An aluminium engine cover (with a heat shield attached) will go over the engine. It will look great and I am spending quite alot of time on it.

So what do you guys think?

If you want the noise then induction kit all the way, otherwise I'd stick with the airbox and a K&N panel filter in there as you won't get much better than the stock ram air setup :)

In fact that reminds me I must buy a new air filter for mine :)

The OEM air setup as Aido says is probs your best bet. Induction kits are a little loud. A K&N will give the car a little crispier, throatier noise anyway. It sounds subtle, but nice.

iv got the K&N filter in OEM box

When you put this on your car did you acctually feel a difference or does it just offer a slight throatiness to the engine? Just wondering as i was thinking if would be a good idea or not to fit one to mine.

i bit of both m8 sounded sport'r and reved easy'r and i thought it made a bit of difference at top of rev range and i get more miles from a tank of fuel which cant be bad just remember to re-set the ecu

and you dont get the heat soke like cone filters

iv got the K&N filter in OEM box

When you put this on your car did you acctually feel a difference or does it just offer a slight throatiness to the engine? Just wondering as i was thinking if would be a good idea or not to fit one to mine.

ive got the pipercross induction kit to be honest i cant hear it in the car as i have a performance exhaust fitted but some people say it sounds really nice outside the car

to be honest it feels like it picks up better but thats about oh very slightly better on fuel.plus it looks good too ,the only down side to the induction kits is they are really expensive pipercross £214.00 and the rest are even more expensive.

Thanks for all that sounds good i mean my fuel economy could do with a slight improvement but i am sure that is all to do with me heavy right foot lol

If you hold on before buying a filter you can have my K&N, only 4000miles old. Just wait until Toyota GT start working on my car first. Oh + postage.

Thanks for all that sounds good i mean my fuel economy could do with a slight improvement but i am sure that is all to do with me heavy right foot lol

If you hold on before buying a filter you can have my K&N, only 4000miles old. Just wait until Toyota GT start working on my car first. Oh + postage.

Thanks thats a very kind offer but i couldnt possibley except thank you anyway thats very kind

Thanks thats a very kind offer but i couldnt possibley except thank you anyway thats very kind

OK you can buy it!! It will be in the forsale section when I don't need it anymore!!!1

• 2 weeks later...

Dragging this one up from last week, but I've just bought the K&N panel filter and plan to fit it this Saturday. The only thing I'm wary of is resetting the ECU. I've seen the guide, is it really that simple? Are there any risks to be concerned about?

I'm guessing that resetting the ECU will help with regards to switching from regular unleaded to V-Power too?

Thanks,

Adam

Dragging this one up from last week, but I've just bought the K&N panel filter and plan to fit it this Saturday. The only thing I'm wary of is resetting the ECU. I've seen the guide, is it really that simple? Are there any risks to be concerned about?

I'm guessing that resetting the ECU will help with regards to switching from regular unleaded to V-Power too?

Yes, no and yes. It really is that simple, yes, just remove the fuses, wait a bit, then re-insert them and the ECU will have been reset. Don't think there are any risks if you just do that, the only thing I can think of is that if your engine check light is on and there are some codes to be read associated with that, then you'll lose them if the ECU is reset. If your light is not on then there will be nothing to be read.

Yes it should help the ECU re-learn if you change the type of fuel.

Adam it's a doddle mate, swing buy this way and I'll do it for you & put the filter in. 5 mins tops.

As Wozza says go see him if your worried, or my way (Balham) as I think im a bit closer. Would be no trouble - though i'm certain you can do it yourself