Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Howling In Differential And Gear Fluid

What seems to be the problem?

When the temperature is below minus 5 Celsius dergees at a speed of 30 miles per hour I can hear a constant howling comming from differential. When accelerating the howling stops. Can it be caused by too thick gear fluid???

It is not tyres. The same happens when aproaching 50 miles per hour. And again when accelerating the howling stops.

Thank you for any suggestions.

If it was mine I would change to new diff. oil......

To the best of my knowledge the crown wheel and pinion are meshed with adjusting shims

when assembled, to run quietly.

If the oil is lost, wrong or worn out, this adjustment is lost and the diff. will whine either on

drive or overrun.

Try some new EP90 in it....

What seems to be the problem?

When the temperature is below minus 5 Celsius dergees at a speed of 30 miles per hour I can hear a constant howling comming from differential. When accelerating the howling stops. Can it be caused by too thick gear fluid???

It is not tyres. The same happens when aproaching 50 miles per hour. And again when accelerating the howling stops.

Thank you for any suggestions.

I had very simular symptoms and mine was that the rear tracking was considerably out. Above 30 the sound disappeared however mine wasn't temp related. Thought it was worth mentioning though.

Thank you for help.

In a moment I will inspect if the Propeller Shaft is not loose and how is the oil.

I don't know if the wining is temperature related, it just started when it was minus 3 Celsius degrees. But But earlier in Autumn it was ok. Maybe it is only a coincidence.