Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Locking And Alarm

after reading a thread on here im confused now,

when i press lock on my remote, i hear it lock and it flashes once

if i press lock again i hear another lock and it flashes 5 times!

is the 2nd press deadlocking it, thats the most secure isn't it, to press it twice?

What year is yours mate?

I guess if you're getting the second lock sound it is deadlocking it - should say either way in the manual you got with the car which way around it is on yours as on other IS models it just disabled the interior sensor.

mines a back end 2001 so there seems to be conflicting info, im gonna have to get the manuel out :(

im assuming im i turn off internal sensors if somone smashes the window the alarm wont go off?

i can remember once i had my son in the car and i locked it whilst stood outside, but pressed the button once and the alarm went off due to his movement, but when i got the car i sat inside and pressed it twice to deadlock and moved around it did not go off, not sure at all

Yeah sitting inside and arming the alarm and pressing again is the easiest way of finding out - basically if you move and the alarm doesn't go off you know it's disabled the interior alarm - if however the alarm does go off and you can't get out from the inside you know it's deadlocked :)

well read the manual and your right, 1 press is the daddy, 2 press's is no good. Good job i checked cus i always press it twice!

So does it deadlock with just 1 press :question:

yeh, 1 press deadlocks and activates anti theft system (internal sensors)

2nd press, only locks from outside and de-activates anti theft.

Just locks with one press mate - easiest way to find what yours does is to also check the manual that came with it or just go and sit in the car - press the button to lock the doors once - and then again - and then see what happens - if the alarm goes off you can't get out the car you know it's deadlocked - whereas if the alarm is silent and you can open the door from inside - but then set it off - you know it's deactivated the interior alarm :)

Just locks with one press mate - easiest way to find what yours does is to also check the manual that came with it or just go and sit in the car - press the button to lock the doors once - and then again - and then see what happens - if the alarm goes off you can't get out the car you know it's deadlocked - whereas if the alarm is silent and you can open the door from inside - but then set it off - you know it's deactivated the interior alarm :)

When I 1st got it I locked it with the kids still inside and the alarm went off but can't remember whether it was one press or 2, will have check, don't like the idea of it being deadlocked but the interior alarm not working they should both work together, will defo have to check. Cheers.

when you press it 2nd time its not deadlocked. and the interior alarm doesnt work

The 2nd press is literally if your going to the shop and leaving your wife in the car, so she feels safe and she can still get out if she needs to and doesnt set the alarm when she moves. Or if you have a dog your leaving in there whilst you go for a cheeky shandy

first press is for locking and leaving the car

yeh deadlock is first press.

first press deadlocks car and sets interior alarm, so if anyone in there the alarm goes off and they cant get out.

i dont think deadlocking makes your car any more secure from the outside anyway

Don't assume that what one person's car does for this is the same as yours though, Lexus changed it part-way through the IS200's life, so it depends on the model year etc. As Aido said, check the manual that came with your car, and/or do a test yourself by sitting in it, as he suggested.

Right conflicting info, mines a 99, on 1st press it sounds like just the normal locks clicking in then when I press again there's a 2nd clunk which sounds like deadlocks clicking into place and lights flash 3 times (I think) I'm just going to have to stop being a lazy B :tsktsk: ard and check for myself :blink:

Right conflicting info, mines a 99, on 1st press it sounds like just the normal locks clicking in then when I press again there's a 2nd clunk which sounds like deadlocks clicking into place and lights flash 3 times (I think) I'm just going to have to stop being a lazy B :tsktsk: ard and check for myself :blink:

Check this thread

Mine is a 99 too. On the first press the deadlocks are engaged. A second press disables the internal movement sensors. This changed on later cars so that a second press was needed to engage the deadlocks.

i hear the second clunck too. thats the motor disabling the dead lock.

first press - 1 clunk and 1 flash - deadlocks on and interior sensor on

second press - 1 clunk and 5 flashes - deadlocks off and interior sensor off

Glad I read this, I've gotten into the habit of always pressing twice too. I had a car a few years ago where the second press did your deadlocks so assumed it was the same!

I checked my manual. Mine's a 2004 car. It definitely says that one click turns on the anti-theft system, a second click deadlocks the doors in addition to turning on the anti-theft system.

So for my car the double-click is right. I guess they changed it to seem more logical, double press = double locked.

Interesting to see the point made about deadlocking meaning if someone smashes your window they have to climb in the car. I've heard of this happening, and what you probably end up with is scratched paintwork on the top of the door as they clamber in. They'd probably mark the interior too. So is deadlocking worth it?

Glad I read this, I've gotten into the habit of always pressing twice too. I had a car a few years ago where the second press did your deadlocks so assumed it was the same!

I checked my manual. Mine's a 2004 car. It definitely says that one click turns on the anti-theft system, a second click deadlocks the doors in addition to turning on the anti-theft system.

So for my car the double-click is right. I guess they changed it to seem more logical, double press = double locked.

Interesting to see the point made about deadlocking meaning if someone smashes your window they have to climb in the car. I've heard of this happening, and what you probably end up with is scratched paintwork on the top of the door as they clamber in. They'd probably mark the interior too. So is deadlocking worth it?

I think deadlocking is well worth it, if they have to climb in then they have to climb out, if the police have chased them and they want to dump the car then climbing out of the window is alot slower than opening the door and could well be the difference between them being caught or not. Chances are if there nicking your car there not going to really care about your paintwork or interior.