Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Query On Brake Fitting Kits And Shim Kits

aido

OK I'm going to swap over the brake disks and pads soon and have just been looking into brake fitting kits and shim kits in the EPC and now I'm totally confused!

Previously in the past I've not ordered anything other than disks and pads - and I seem to have been fine.

Reading past posts people seem to mention shim kits and fitting kits - so I've looked into the EPC and from having a nosey in the box the pads already have the fit kit in there - ie the metal clips and the metal backing - and according to what you read they have acrylic shims so does this mean that fitting kits and shim kits are required only when using Lexus OEM pads?

Or are these something else above and beyond what comes with the third party stuff and where possible you should dump whatever comes with the new pads (if possible) and replace with either the old fit kit / shim kit if in good condition or bin all of these and purchase new shim kits and fitting kits from the dealers?

OK I'm going to swap over the brake disks and pads soon and have just been looking into brake fitting kits and shim kits in the EPC and now I'm totally confused!

Previously in the past I've not ordered anything other than disks and pads - and I seem to have been fine.

Reading past posts people seem to mention shim kits and fitting kits - so I've looked into the EPC and from having a nosey in the box the pads already have the fit kit in there - ie the metal clips and the metal backing - and according to what you read they have acrylic shims so does this mean that fitting kits and shim kits are required only when using Lexus OEM pads?

Or are these something else above and beyond what comes with the third party stuff and where possible you should dump whatever comes with the new pads (if possible) and replace with either the old fit kit / shim kit if in good condition or bin all of these and purchase new shim kits and fitting kits from the dealers?

You still have the jspec fronts on don't you. I bought the anti squeals from toyota they are jsut a set of thin gauge plates that clip onto the back of the pads. There are actually 2 sets that toyota do one is the plates and there is another one which i can't remember but its jsut over £100 for both sets

That's right fella, just on the jspecs :)

In that case it is what I'm looking at:

04945 SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT

04945‑30120 JZS16* 1 $36.99

04945‑30140 JZS16* 1 $58.87

04947 FITTING KIT, DISC BRAKE, FRONT

04947‑30120 JZS16* 1 $96.59

47743A SPRING, ANTI-SQUEAL (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE)

47743‑30020 JZS161; JZS160..5FC 4 $4.68

47743‑30020 JZS16* 4 $4.68

The fitting kit appears to be the little brackets which already come with the Mintex pads - example pic here:

GS400_Fit_Kit.jpg

So it is just the shim kit I want then, will get one before I get the brakes swapped over cheers fella :)

Was just confused what with the Mintex pads saying they'd already got acrylic shims - didn't know if that was to replace the OEM stuff or whether it's in addition too, I'm getting there slowly!

That's right fella, just on the jspecs :)

In that case it is what I'm looking at:

04945 SHIM KIT, ANTI SQUEAL, FRONT

04945‑30120 JZS16* 1 $36.99

04945‑30140 JZS16* 1 $58.87

04947 FITTING KIT, DISC BRAKE, FRONT

04947‑30120 JZS16* 1 $96.59

47743A SPRING, ANTI-SQUEAL (FOR FRONT DISC BRAKE)

47743‑30020 JZS161; JZS160..5FC 4 $4.68

47743‑30020 JZS16* 4 $4.68

The fitting kit appears to be the little brackets which already come with the Mintex pads - example pic here:

GS400_Fit_Kit.jpg

So it is just the shim kit I want then, will get one before I get the brakes swapped over cheers fella :)

Was just confused what with the Mintex pads saying they'd already got acrylic shims - didn't know if that was to replace the OEM stuff or whether it's in addition too, I'm getting there slowly!

Yes its jsut the anti squeals you want now and some molybdenum or copper grease ;)

Yes its jsut the anti squeals you want now and some molybdenum or copper grease ;)

Molylolylobby what :lol:

Thanks for that, going to give Mr T a call in the morning :)