Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Bought An Rx300 Lpg.

Hi,

It is with great pleasure that I announce I have joined the Lexus Owners Club! For the last 4-5 years I have been driving Audi's and VW's and after getting absolutely fed up with finding the same kind of problems recurring in those cars I decided to go with something more reliable. And I have to say so far so good.

I bought a 2001 MK1 RX300 SE with 60,000 miles backed with Full Lexus Service history. Cant fault the car at all. It was converted to LPG a year ago. Will try to upload some images.

I have two questions though. The first one should be fairly basic. When I bought the car I was told that the rear brake pads were a bit low and will need changing soon. An adjustment for that was made in the sale price. My question is that what brand brake pads can I use? Any online place where I can get them for a reasonable price? I read somewhere on here that they are failry easy to change yourself.

Secondly, I have been driving the car on LPG and it seems to be running perfectly however I have noticed that the petrol fuel gauge also goes down. Is this normal? I am not sure whether the petrol gauge is getting confused because I am driving the car using LPG or whether the petrol is actually dissappearing? How does it calculate how much petrol is in the car? Is there a sensor in the tank that checks the actual level or is it based on calculation on how many miles have been covered e.t.c?

If you already had the Altezza you are already a member ;)

There are loads of brake disks and pads for sale for these on eBay if you have a look, you should be fine using any - a quick search just turned up that EBC do them as well as Mintex, you should also find that your local motor factors will be able to get ADL/Blueprint ones which should also be as good as OEM :) I just looked for "lexus rx300 brake" on eBay and there are over 30 results currently.

As for the second one - I always assumed LPG systems must have two gauges - one for petrol and another for gas - unless they've got them both running off the one gauge some how? There are a few folks on here with gas conversion so they should be able to help you on that side :)

Thanks for your reply. I use to have an Altezza ages ago (5-6 years back) until it got written off after I crashed on an M4 slip road while accelerating as there was some diesel spillage there!!

Anyway, I did see quite a lot of them on eBay but I wasnt sure on the quality. As for the gauge. There is a seperate one for LPG. As I have been running the car on LPG that guage has been going down with the usage normally. However since I am not using Petrol I dont understand why the petrol guage is going down as well. As far as I know the car either runs on petrol or LPG and not both. So I would have expected the petrol guage to remain stationary.

How low are the rear pads? They don't wear quickly on the rear so you may get 10k+ more miles out of them.

I personally am not happy with non OEM pads although on the rear you probably won't tell the different.

If you want genuine try here to obtain a price

http://www.lexuspartsdirect.co.uk/

I've heard of the petrol gauge issue on the GS, didn't know the RX did the same. It basically adjusts the fuel gauge based on calculated fuel used and not just on the sender unit in the tank so it will go down even if you are not using it. Not sure if there is a solution, have a search/look on these forums as it has been discussed before.

Guys thanks for your replies.

This is not small amount we are talking about. The other day I was driving on LPG for quite some miles and the petrol gauge went from 1/4th full to almost 0. I then filled it up with around 17 litres of petrol and the needle went upto half. Surely that means that the gauge was incorrect. With a tank capacity of 72 litres putting in 17 litres shouldnt make it go half way up?

I read somewhere that the fuel gauge reading is based on calculations and that an increase in fuel level causes it to refresh and take a new reading. So today as I was filling the car up with LPG (I can confirm that it was definately running on LPG) I put in around about 2 litres of petrol thinking it might cause a refresh but it didnt. Maybe it was too little for it to take a fresh reading.

Yeah I read that thread on here. Basically, he said that it kept on going down until it was totally empty. Then the computer takes a fresh reading and it went back up to what the actual level was. I think I will put some more fuel in and see if that causes the ecu to take a fresh reading. If so then it should show a bigger rise in level than expected.

Thanks Colin,

On my way back home from work I put in another 10 litres of petrol. Before the needle was at 1/4th or even slightly less. But then it shot up to almost 3/4th full.

I think this is a common problem. Its just as we thought, the gauge reading is based on calculations and since I am running it on LPG it still goes down but the petrol is actually still there!

• 3 months later...
Thanks Colin,

On my way back home from work I put in another 10 litres of petrol. Before the needle was at 1/4th or even slightly less. But then it shot up to almost 3/4th full.

I think this is a common problem. Its just as we thought, the gauge reading is based on calculations and since I am running it on LPG it still goes down but the petrol is actually still there!

Hi mine does exactly the same the petrol gauge run right down (the fuel light even comes on sometimes !) and then needle bounces back up again ! Not to bad when you get used to it. I was told that it does this because when the LPG kicks in the petrol pump still operates pumping the petrol around in a loop.

Roy

• 8 months later...

Hi mate,

I have a RX300 on LPG for a few years. it's normal. don't worry about it, the petrol gauge position is calculated. just carry a 5L of petrol in your boot.

you can reset it's position by taking the Battery lead ( - ) off for 5 seconds if you really really want to know how much petrol you got in the tank. or just top 10 pounds every 1st day of the month, which I told my missrs to do.

he he he

• Like 1