Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Car Died On Me 6 Times Now

oedipus

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I always thought the black box was quite basic - so what does it actually do then?! Doesn't it just let the engine keep fueling when it sees boost and nothing else?

So how do the cars with an FCD but no black box get the extra air and fuel in the middle of the range then mate?

Or is it just not actually needed?

Is it a voltage clamp it does to stop it hitting fuel cut?

Sweet cheers fella, did wonder on that bit :)

So in other words - a supercharged IS without the black box and with an FCD is not only going to be more reliable - but also return more mpg as it's not running so rich!

Sweet!

Works fine on mine matey, as you know :winky:

Oedipus Gord wasn't trying to "sell" you anything. He gave you (as did I and others too) sound advice that

would have saved you a lot of money, not only but not going to your dealer but also buy buying a more

expensive solution....

Many members in the U.K run the HKS FCD perfectly well without issue, which was why when you asked....

you were given the correct advice. No-one who has posted on this thread stands to make anything in anyway

from anything you buy. You asked for advice and was given it correctly.

wasnt kempower something to do with TDI at one stage - they were selling some TDI kits a while back i remember. To be honest I personally would stay far away from ANY tuning company that is associated with TDI based on thier poor reputation and substandard examples of work.

was it kempower who suggested you need to get the FCON???

.......I personally would stay far away from ANY tuning company that is associated with TDI based on thier poor reputation and substandard examples of work.

sometimes certain things don't go well together :unsure:

:lol:

I have read some stories about TDI, but never dealt with them. I don't think Kempower has a direct link with them. Kempower definitely knows what they're doing. They have been around for a long while and I haven't heard bad stories about them, on the contrary. It's the serious work, not some would-be ...

.......I personally would stay far away from ANY tuning company that is associated with TDI based on thier poor reputation and substandard examples of work.

sometimes certain things don't go well together :unsure:

:lol:

I have read some stories about TDI, but never dealt with them. I don't think Kempower has a direct link with them. Kempower definitely knows what they're doing. They have been around for a long while and I haven't heard bad stories about them, on the contrary. It's the serious work, not some would-be ...

so was it Kempower who said you should get the FCON??

Regarding the link with Totally Disasterous Installations maybe it was kempower who developed the modified SC kit and then TDI took the credit for it in the UK?? Or as I said earlier it could be TDI who sold some kits or options to advertise the kits to Kempower.

Whatever the situation there is or was a link between the 2 companies and that would be more than enough for me to stay well away.

Ill be changing my blackbox ECU sometime in the next months so maybe i can sell mine for about €200 - happy days!!

Ill be changing my blackbox ECU sometime in the next months so maybe i can sell mine for about €200 - happy days!!

I've got a sneaky feeling I may have a brand new one somewhere so that's gotta be worth €210 then if yours is worth €200 :P Just got to try and find it - will take me six months and they'll be €20 by then :crying:

so was it Kempower who said you should get the FCON??

No. I found him via the German LOC. He also seems to be the only HKS dealer and FCON powerwriter on the continent.

Regarding the link with Totally Disasterous Installations maybe it was kempower who developed the modified SC kit and then TDI took the credit for it in the UK?? Or as I said earlier it could be TDI who sold some kits or options to advertise the kits to Kempower.

Don't know about that. Kempower has a modified TTE kit (see website) and reprogrammes the HKS FCON IS so it completely replaces original master ECU engine part.

Whatever the situation there is or was a link between the 2 companies and that would be more than enough for me to stay well away.

No link between them to my knowledge. There is a link between Bemani and Kempower (Kempower fitted the 2nd gen. Bemani kits). Innocent until proven guilty.

Looking at their site they sell the same carbon intake as TDi as well.

Also the FCON IS is a piggy back ecu so it doesnt replace the original ECU only adjusts the settings. An because of its ability to only be mapped by "powerwriters" i'd still suggest the Emanage ultimate over it.

Stav

Looking at their site they sell the same carbon intake as TDi as well.

Also the FCON IS is a piggy back ecu so it doesnt replace the original ECU only adjusts the settings. An because of its ability to only be mapped by "powerwriters" i'd still suggest the Emanage ultimate over it.

Stav

Give up Stav, he's going to do it anyway :o

• 4 weeks later...

Sorted at last. Receiving my new black box last week of January and soldered it in properly myself last Saturday and ... bingo. Problem sorted.

The one thing my Lexus dealers actually helped me out on was the detection of a bad joint in tube between the intercooler & the compressor all the way down below the front spoiler. I can't believe what a difference this makes now with the bb installed again. I think I've never experienced this much hp before. :whistling:

I really appreciate all opinions & good advices posted. Thank you for that.

PS: About the FCON: got the message. I had a chat about an HKS FCON on an IS with someone from the DE forum, who told me what a bad idea that is. It doesn't seem work at all, HKS even being very weary of FCON on IS!? He also told me briefly what happened to some customers after tuning done at TDI's. Glops. :crybaby:

Glad it is sorted mate, as Aido said, how much was the new Black Box ?

299€ plus 22€ for sending over to Belgium. Got it in 2 days.

I was actually surprised they had them again. Thought I'd had to pay double for a silver box.

Hope this one lasts a while... :blink: :duh: