Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Good Old Sat Nav

Ok, i really want the built in sat nav but it just aint gonna happen yet. The one i was gonna get off eBay is the OEM case with a sony sat fit inside. at first i thought this was great but to be honest i've read the sony sat is total pants. and i have a brand new top banana tomtom which apparently is the daddy.

so until i can get my hands on a OEM sat nav casing (without the guts so i can try n fit my tom tom in) i want a nice way of fitting my sat nav without stickin it to the window n trailing the charger over the radio.

so i did this and wired to the cigarette lighter.....

06012009084.jpg

06012009085.jpg

06012009086.jpg

06012009087.jpg

What you reckon? its tidy at least and when i finish i can just take the satnav out.

Yep exactly what i did with my tomtom. Except i have a USB connection on my headunit so didnt modify the dock. However my one keeps wanting to shut down while driving as it thinks its connected to a computer. I did try and fit the car charger to the dock and it isnt the same size. Was it a lot of work making it fit?

for now just sticky pads but as its on felt it can wobble so im going to change to 2 small black self tapping screws

I didn't change the cable, jus cut the usb connector off, peeled back the skin and seperated the red and black from the green and white.

And i guess there is always that risk, but only the same as rings on the window and stuff like that. I lock my glove box so with the car being deadlocked they cant get to it anyway

looks good but i would get the JDM dash tray with lid so you can hid the dock away..

I was trying to think last night what that bugger was called :lol:

I had one of those and had my Origin B2 docking station fitted in there thanks to Rob and Steve Wong :D

i apprieciate thats how much there worth, i just think its silly money just for a lid! id prefer to pay £200 more and have a good satnav and a motor function to lift it out

I am lucky enough to have a 2005 is 200 sport navigator so it has the built in sat nav and i have to say it is far better than any after market sat nav that i have used before as it keeps up with you. It may lack some features that sonys and tom toms have and you do have to buy a disc from lexus to update it but when it comes down to it it makes finding places a pleasure. To start with she has a lovely voice wjich comes through the stereo not a little plastic box on the dash. It keeps up with your movments far better than an after market one because it not only uses gps but also other information from the car like the position of the steering wheel and speed. As a result she knows where you are. I just thought i would let you know anyway welldone for fitting the tomtom in it is a neat job far better than sticking something on the windscreen i hate that!

Yep exactly what i did with my tomtom. Except i have a USB connection on my headunit so didnt modify the dock. However my one keeps wanting to shut down while driving as it thinks its connected to a computer. I did try and fit the car charger to the dock and it isnt the same size. Was it a lot of work making it fit?

ok i now know why is wasnt turning on. if its the same as mine it requires a 5v feed. so by cutting the end of a charger or docking station and connecting it to the cig lighter your giving it 12v. If you look at the writing on the charger its says input 12v - output 5v. without a resistor it wont work. and i think i may have just fried my tom tom learning that info :(

It keeps up with your movments far better than an after market one because it not only uses gps but also other information from the car like the position of the steering wheel and speed. As a result she knows where you are.

I'm fascinated to know how it does that. Can you explain further, or do you have a reference that I can consult?

It keeps up with your movments far better than an after market one because it not only uses gps but also other information from the car like the position of the steering wheel and speed. As a result she knows where you are.

I'm fascinated to know how it does that. Can you explain further, or do you have a reference that I can consult?

I have no reference, but it has an internal giro and is linked to the speed pulse.

It is obviously only software prediction based on the turning, speed and road shape but does it remarkably well.

When I go through the Mersey tunnel (just over 2miles), it keeps it perfect with the bends and distance. Even as I go past the Wirral/Liverpool marker it is spot on. Its strange because You can see the exit on the map before you see the light as it is quite a tight curve in the queensway tunnel.

Amazingly accurate.

ok i now know why is wasnt turning on. if its the same as mine it requires a 5v feed. so by cutting the end of a charger or docking station and connecting it to the cig lighter your giving it 12v. If you look at the writing on the charger its says input 12v - output 5v. without a resistor it wont work. and i think i may have just fried my tom tom learning that info :(

Oh dear. You might be lucky though and its blown an internal fuse.

They have surface mounted wickman fuses that don't look anything like a normal fuse. They look just like most of the rest of the components. Take it apart and look for anything labelled F1, F2, etc. Unfortunately they can be any colour and no set size so you will need to look at markings on the board.

I have no reference, but it has an internal giro and is linked to the speed pulse.

It is obviously only software prediction based on the turning, speed and road shape but does it remarkably well.

When I go through the Mersey tunnel (just over 2miles), it keeps it perfect with the bends and distance. Even as I go past the Wirral/Liverpool marker it is spot on. Its strange because You can see the exit on the map before you see the light as it is quite a tight curve in the queensway tunnel.

Amazingly accurate.

Forgive me if I remain sceptical. The software in all modern GPS road following devices overides the actual indicated position to place the car on the "nearest" mapped road and includes predictive algorithms to cope with temporary loss of signal.

The road that gives access to the M1 near my home has been altered recently and it is great fun to watch the Lexus GPS leaping about between the position of the old road and the position of the M1 when it is not on either of them, but is actually travelling on a road between them that is not yet included in its mapping data.

I think you are asking a lot for the Sat-Nav to read minds as it were. With roads not on the map my TomTom

will get just as confused in the same situation. I believe it was quite accurate on the IS200 Navigator, plus it

would show the correct direction the car was pointed in before you started moving.

If the map was out of date, any Sat Nav will struggle.

I think you are asking a lot for the Sat-Nav to read minds as it were. With roads not on the map my TomTom

will get just as confused in the same situation. I believe it was quite accurate on the IS200 Navigator, plus it

would show the correct direction the car was pointed in before you started moving.

If the map was out of date, any Sat Nav will struggle.

I don't disagree with any of that, but it isn't what the discussion was about.

I was seeking clarification in regard to what appeared to be a claim that the IS has some kind of "dead reckoning" navigation system that takes over when the GPS signal is not available. I was making the point that GPS software places the car on a convenient mapped road rather than at the actual position indicated by the GPS and uses predictive algorithms to make judgements about distance travelled when the signal is lost. I was quoting the behaviour of the GPS in my own car - leaping about between two roads when it is not on either of them, as an indication that it does indeed use it's software to place the car on the nearest mapped road.

I have not, in any of the Lexus literature that I have read, found any reference to the kind of additional technology that is being claimed in this thread and I was hoping that someone could have pointed me at such a reference. During my working life I actually played a part in designing ships inertial navigation systems and I would be really very interested to know how Lexus do it, if they do?

On the other hand, if someone is assuming that because the screen indicator goes on following a sharply curving road in the absence of a GPS signal there must be some alternative navigation device present, that could be a totally false assumption.

On the other hand, if someone is assuming that because the screen indicator goes on following a sharply curving road in the absence of a GPS signal there must be some alternative navigation device present, that could be a totally false assumption.

I totally understand what you mean but Geoff did say

.... it has an internal giro and is linked to the speed pulse.

I will leave it to Geoff to answer further, but from the sounds of it, the internal giro is working with the cars own input

like an inertial nav system. I'm guessing but obviously for short distances this will be fairly accurate, much less so on

longer distances.

MY Lexus oem nav places me where i am even if there is no road on its map.. it also knows which way the car is pointing as soon as it boots up even if i have manualy turned it off before coming to a stop..

much better than the tom tom..

as far as im aware its assisted GPS (AGPS)