Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Selling Up?

jason_l

Hi All,

I think the time has come to move on. Im sure the second i do im going to regreat it but im almost certain i will sell my car this year. This is only the second car i have owned and i want to try something new.

Now don't get me wrong i absolutely love my IS200 and love driving it, But something is making me want to sell up and get something more powerfull. Thats the only thing that i feel lets the IS down. I have owned this car for almost 5 years and Sarah really doesn't want to see it go, in fact she really aint happy about it!

Think i will probably get the kitcar built first so i have something to drive while i look for another car, but what car???? Any thoughts people?? I have a few idea's but thought i would see what people suggest, thinking maybe something Turbo :shifty:

Jason :P

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Listen to Sarah mate, you'll only regreat it.

Just buy a supercharger then with the added power you could also get a sunroof .

You have spent to much time and money on the car to get rid of it.

DONT DO IT !!!!!!

I would add a supercharger but there are two things against me on that one, 1: Mission Impossible to actually get hold of one. and 2: my car has done nearly 132k and don't want to risk destroying the engine.

I don't see the point in adding the supercharger when i can sell my car and for the extra money i would spend on supercharging it i could buy a nicer car!

@ Chris, thought about the Soarer, but Sarah doesn't like the interior. what with most of them not having leather although that is one of the car's at the top of my list. in fact its third on the list at the moment.

Top of my list at the moment is an Aristo :whistling: although im not sure about running costs???

And second on my list is a GS300 although im not keen on automatic cars, and i don't know if i should get a GS when i can have an Aristo.

I really love my car but just want something different??? Who knows i may get the buggy done and just keep the IS but im almost certain its going to go.

Sorry you have made up your mind mate, but when you come to sell it and you dont get offered what you want, ie not enough then you might have to think again.

Anyway what ever you deside it will be for the best, good luck and keep us posted on what you do.

What dose Sarah want to get because that will be what you get :lol: :lol:

The thing with getting a quicker car is it's exciting for a while but then you get used to it.

I'd look into keeping the IS and getting a project car like an old Pug 205GTi or something like that. Only trouble is tax and insurance makes running two cars expensive.

The thing with getting a quicker car is it's exciting for a while but then you get used to it.

I'd look into keeping the IS and getting a project car like an old Pug 205GTi or something like that. Only trouble is tax and insurance makes running two cars expensive.

Already have two cars! so a third is a big no no! (see the link in my Signature).

I may change my mind yet but i just don't know, i know im not going to get much for my car but the price of an Aristo/GS has also come down so swings and round abouts really.

I might get the Kit Car on the road and just love it and keep the lexus. Problem is i want to dump a honda Vtec engine in the buggy but because its a joint project with a mate we both have to agree spending money on it. Im willing to spend the cash but he is not, even though he won £440,000 on the lottery!!!!!!

I might sell i might not! Going to do a few more track days in this car first, not sure what an Aristo would be like on track compared to the IS?????

Anyone else gone to an Aristo/GS from a IS???

I would add a supercharger but there are two things against me on that one, 1: Mission Impossible to actually get hold of one. and 2: my car has done nearly 132k and don't want to risk destroying the engine.

I don't see the point in adding the supercharger when i can sell my car and for the extra money i would spend on supercharging it i could buy a nicer car!

@ Chris, thought about the Soarer, but Sarah doesn't like the interior. what with most of them not having leather although that is one of the car's at the top of my list. in fact its third on the list at the moment.

Top of my list at the moment is an Aristo :whistling: although im not sure about running costs???

And second on my list is a GS300 although im not keen on automatic cars, and i don't know if i should get a GS when i can have an Aristo.

I really love my car but just want something different??? Who knows i may get the buggy done and just keep the IS but im almost certain its going to go.

don't worry about the milage mate, mines has 150+ thousand miles on it and i supercharged it and i was fine., the only thing i would recommend is keep an eye on the coil packs but to be fair with engines with this higher mileage they are probably due to go anytime soon anyway.

Don't sell it mate bneen down that road, Trust there is nothing else out there that is as good.

Everything i look at from Civic Type R's to Skyliners, to Evo 9's to Supras have some missing which the IS200 has be it praticallity, style of just comfort.

Trust me mate don't do it.

don't worry about the milage mate, mines has 150+ thousand miles on it and i supercharged it and i was fine., the only thing i would recommend is keep an eye on the coil packs but to be fair with engines with this higher mileage they are probably due to go anytime soon anyway.

Don't sell it mate bneen down that road, Trust there is nothing else out there that is as good.

Everything i look at from Civic Type R's to Skyliners, to Evo 9's to Supras have some missing which the IS200 has be it praticallity, style of just comfort.

Trust me mate don't do it.

I want something new but i really love this car, every day im smilling on my way to and from work! Something is making my want to just try something else??

If only there was a way i could have a GS for a week or so to just try it out???

E46 M3's are getting cheap, thats what I'd be going for. Or possibly an RS4, their cracking cars aswell.

Another favourite of mine that would be a nice upgrade from the IS that is still just as stylish and comfortbale but with a lot more horsies would be a Merc C43 AMG.

GS300s are no fun compared to an IS200. Not really any more powerful due to the extra weight and auto transmission and don't handle well so you are slow on the straights and slow through the corners, at least with an IS200 use a reasonably quick through corners.

You need a 430 or a TT Aristo.

But you could swap the interior mate for the V8 Leather set up :whistling:

Again i'm the same as you on the Supercharger idea, for the price of just the s/c you can get a 2.5tt soarer with more power as standard and then a few options to up the power if you want, FMIC, big single turbo etc :whistling:

E46 M3's are getting cheap, thats what I'd be going for. Or possibly an RS4, their cracking cars aswell.

Another favourite of mine that would be a nice upgrade from the IS that is still just as stylish and comfortbale but with a lot more horsies would be a Merc C43 AMG.

I really want to like BMW/Merc's but i just hate them! i don't know what it is about them, i admit they are good cars but i really really don't like them and would never own one, maybe im just a bit strange?!?!?! :shutit:

If i do get something new i can gaurantee it will be Japanese!

Thanks everyone for all your inputs, its swaying me back to keeping it but im still uncertain! Think the turning point will be when the kit car is up and running!!!!

If im driving the IS and then i take the little buggy out for a blitz it will make me appreciate the power more, where as if i have a hi powered car i will be going to a lower performance car?!?!?!?

Keep your opinions coming people :)

Jason

Amen to that!

Had a little spin in a single turbo Supra the other night and that's set my mind racing as we speak :crying:

As for running costs of the Aristo, it's all down to your milage mate.

I'm just about to place an order with Mr T for some parts for the 100k service - I've spent about £1400 in total now for all the bits I want, admittedly a few are cosmetic though but the majority are engine / turbo related.

Petrol wise it's not that bad mate, I was getting about 180 - 200 miles around town and you can get 350 or more on the motorway if you drive her like Dave Ellen (ie old man) :lol: Can't remember the tank size - 70 or 75 litres I guess - I know I kept a bottle of lube in my pocket everytime I went to get VPower about 5 months ago!

Yeah it's auto but you get the manual mode, it's only 4 gears which is why it's not the most economical but they're much longer gears than the IS - mine just wants to change into 4th as it hits the speed limiter so I'll let you work that out!

They're actually surprisingly nimble for such a big car - the Aristo has the added advantage of ARS for low speeds - a lot don't like that and get it disabled though with the TOM'S addon. Dave and Anees have uprated the suspension with coilovers, ARBs and so on and are really happy with it!

I have to admit it did feel a bit like getting back into a go kart when I had both the IS200 and Aristo and going from the Aristo straight into the IS - this is a lot bigger inside and the sound system and stuff are all much better than the IS imho. The worst bit about the Aristo and Supra is when something goes wrong it can be a bitch trying to figure out the root cause as there are so many pipes running everywhere for the turbos and stuff. I'm slowly learning though and there are some people who really know these things inside out that you can go to, as an example Chris Wilson in Shropshire is the boy!

Thanks Aido :)

Was going to send you a message as i know you had a IS before your Aristo. Really helpfull stuff :) I know parts can be expensive and i know a little about the engine, my Bro (mkiv.net username Lockys96) used to have a Supra and worked a little on that. I didn't think the petrol would be much of a problem and its more the cost of parts that might be an issue, but you will always have this problem if you have a rare/import car. Obviously the IS is more common and parts are easier to come by.

Jaosn :P

I think you'd love it pal!

I remember some of the pics you've had in the past - I reckon maybe you should tap up Mr Ellen for a go as he's nearer you than I am - it is a totally different car - when you want it you've got loads of torque on tap, and have to admit when you realise how nice it is as a cruiser you'll probably relax a lot more :)

Have to admit the price of parts doesn't seem that much different to the IS really, once the big stuff is done your belts and oil and stuff aren't going to be much different :)

Just don't do what I did and nearly write it off on the first day by planting it ona roundabout to see what happens :lol:

Tell you what though mate, to give you an idea of parts - nearly everything I've ordered has got a 2 day lead time from Mr T so from Bazza mentioned recently guess all the parts are in stock in the Belgium warehouse - makes sense as they've got the UK Supras to keep bits for!

Just a couple of bits coming from Japan but they're secret squirrel - even then should be here by backend of next week!

Think the majority of stuff it's basically a lot of the engine bits you can use Supra parts (with exceptions such as water pump, sump, fan etc) and for chassis parts you can use GSxxx parts!

I think you'd love it pal!

I remember some of the pics you've had in the past - I reckon maybe you should tap up Mr Ellen for a go as he's nearer you than I am - it is a totally different car - when you want it you've got loads of torque on tap, and have to admit when you realise how nice it is as a cruiser you'll probably relax a lot more :)

Have to admit the price of parts doesn't seem that much different to the IS really, once the big stuff is done your belts and oil and stuff aren't going to be much different :)

Just don't do what I did and nearly write it off on the first day by planting it ona roundabout to see what happens :lol:

Tell you what though mate, to give you an idea of parts - nearly everything I've ordered has got a 2 day lead time from Mr T so from Bazza mentioned recently guess all the parts are in stock in the Belgium warehouse - makes sense as they've got the UK Supras to keep bits for!

Just a couple of bits coming from Japan but they're secret squirrel - even then should be here by backend of next week!

Think the majority of stuff it's basically a lot of the engine bits you can use Supra parts (with exceptions such as water pump, sump, fan etc) and for chassis parts you can use GSxxx parts!

Thanks Aido, helps me think i will really like having an Aristo. Ever since i was about 15 and my dad had a GS300 i have aLways liked them and the Aristo just seems like a good choice. Refinement of a GS but power of a Supra! I like sleeper cars as well and this is one of them, most people will think its just a tarted up GS but then you surprise the hell out of them as you race off.

Would love a black one like you have and then nice deep dish wheels, exhaust, tints and a few other little mods to the engine. I don't want stupid power as it gets unreliable when you do go crazy and if i wanted nothing but power i wouldn't be looking at an Aristo. :shifty:

Thanks Aido, helps me think i will really like having an Aristo. Ever since i was about 15 and my dad had a GS300 i have aLways liked them and the Aristo just seems like a good choice. Refinement of a GS but power of a Supra! I like sleeper cars as well and this is one of them, most people will think its just a tarted up GS but then you surprise the hell out of them as you race off.

Would love a black one like you have and then nice deep dish wheels, exhaust, tints and a few other little mods to the engine. I don't want stupid power as it gets unreliable when you do go crazy and if i wanted nothing but power i wouldn't be looking at an Aristo. :shifty:

That is the beauty of it mate - I still haven't got around to getting my back bumper resprayed but will be getting it done soon!!

This time I mean it though - hopefully by summer I'll have a standardish looking GS (except with massive binlid exhausts, an FMIC and Toyota badges :lol:

They do look nice done up - I made the mistake of browsing through ClubLexus US again the other day and it's cost me dearly!

As for wheels - I nearly bought a set of polished lips with black centres - if you ever saw Gaz Walkers car I would love to have it looking like that!

Like you say on power, those few little mods that don't cost you a great deal have taken you up 70bhp from the book figure - totally different world from the IS!

There are some mega threads on LOC but I get scared to look as I keep seeing bits I want to buy!

Know what you mean, i keep looking on supra.net and think that would be nice :shifty:

There was a well nice Aristo my bro found a few years ago that i would have killed for!!! black, deep dish wheels, black tints and a nice subtle kit but it had 1200bhp under the bonnet! bet that would have been well high mainternance though!

Think Intercooler, induction, boost controller and exhaust would be more than enough for me!!!! :crying: