Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Scare Of My Life

Mr Mole

Was driving to work this morning at 6.30. Not in the Lexus but in the Puma and hit black ice.

Was going about 45mph and the car just lost control.

I ended up going from one side to the other side of the road about 4 times.

And then went up the grass verg still doing about 30 by this time before the grass slowing me down enough to regain control.

All I can say is thankfully no other car was coming the other way.Or that would have been the end of me,because I was sliding sideways at the time. When I was going up the verg I also thought that was it.

Went a little bit furthr along the road and there was a van on its roof,and three other cars off the road.

So just turned round and went home and had a cup of tea.

Glad your ok matey, makes you think when something like that happens to you? :o

Think you'd better give me the supercharger off your Lex mate, just to be on the safe side :P

Only glad I was driving the Puma and not the Lex mate.

So sorry cant give you the charger :P

Was not good when you have NO control of the car, might aswell have closed my eyes and let go of the wheel.

But luck was on my side :D

Glad your ok matey, makes you think when something like that happens to you? :o

Think you'd better give me the supercharger off your Lex mate, just to be on the safe side :P

Only glad I was driving the Puma and not the Lex mate.

So sorry cant give you the charger :P

Was not good when you have NO control of the car, might aswell have closed my eyes and let go of the wheel.

But luck was on my side :D

Yeh and the puma is a pretty good handling car too, (we were looking at another one at the weekend for my other half as she had the 1.7 version a couple of years back?)

Main thing is your ok mate :D Bet the roads are pretty bad up your way, being as you live in one of the coldest places on the planet :P Just glad your still here mate :D

Blimey, that sounds scary!!

When I went to Estonia in November last year, I was struck by the odd noise all the cars made. When I looked more closely, it turned out that they all had studded winter tyres on. I know Estonia is colder than it is here, but I do wonder if perhaps we shouldn't do the same. Your close call would never have happened...

According to the Beeb, Aberdeen is rather warmer right now than it is down here in Surrey!! :)

Many years ago, I was on the M25 when it turned into sheet ice without any warning. The police had closed the road ahead but there were still a few cars on the bit I was on. This was while the M25 was still being completed, not nearly as busy as it is now !

I will never forget the terrifying feeling of pressing the brakes, all four wheels locking (no ABS on that car) and the car feeling like it was going *faster* with the wheels locked, and totally out of control. Luckily I ended up scraping against the central crash barrier and using that as my "brake", not hitting any other cars and escaping without injury.

I know what you mean about that feeling of having no control of the car whatsoever. My experience was about 20 years ago or so but I can remember it like it was yesterday !

glad ur ok mate - scary moment i'm sure.

take it easy everyone in this horrible weather.

I wish everone thought that way. Today I was following a van and an Astra estate. The Astra was right up the back of the van, it was a narrow national speed limit road with no overtaking opportunities, and the van was doing 40mph because the road was icy. I thought the Astra was stupid driving so close, but then he went for an overtake!!! The nutter had to abort his move too because someone came the other way.

All this and it said -5 on my car's outside temp gauge.

I just refuse to drive if it's like that now! Years ago I made a 30 mile trip through the back roads of Derbyshire in thick snow and black ice - made it all the way to work and they'd not gritted the car park so the entire thing was a sheet of ice and I planted my car into the wall there! About 15 people did the exact same thing that morning after me too! Glad you're all ok anyway fella :)

I had a similar experience but it was with diesel spillage on a slip road. I accelerated to join the motorway lost total control and the car just went round and round until its ***** ended up on top of a barrier and I was facing the opposite direction. It was an Altezza RS200. It was written offwith almost 8k worth of damage. Although all I could see was a broken exhaust back box. I have no idea how they came up with that figure.

But its scary when u lose control. When you lose control even 40 mph seems like 120 mph. You really dont realise how fast you are going until you lose control.

I had an unpleasant drive back from the gym tonight - the roads were well salted but the temp gauge was saying -4C. I don't think it was actually ice on the roads, but the steering was horribly light and the car felt like it was slipping all over the place.

Really don't like the Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres in the cold!! Wonderful in the warm, wonderful in the wet, downright dangerous in the cold. :(

I had an unpleasant drive back from the gym tonight - the roads were well salted but the temp gauge was saying -4C. I don't think it was actually ice on the roads, but the steering was horribly light and the car felt like it was slipping all over the place.

Really don't like the Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres in the cold!! Wonderful in the warm, wonderful in the wet, downright dangerous in the cold. :(

Have to admit mine is just parked up at the minute - I'm borrowing my mams BMW any excuse I get :lol: