Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Gs300 Mk2 - Auto Steering Wheel Adjustment

My baby is 10 years old this month - I've had her from new and have no plans to change anytime soon - great car! All I've ever had to do myself is replace the radio display when the lcd images went haywire - that was fairly straightforward. I now have a problem with the steering wheel automatic adjustment mechanism - as you know, the wheel should move out and drop down to the desired position when the ignition key is first put in and return when the key is removed to allow easy entry/exit to the seat. The wheel is moving backwards and forwards but is locked in the down position. I've tried the manual adjustment button on the side - backwards/forwards works fine but just a single clicking noise on up/down and the wheel doesn't move. Has anyone encountered this - is it easily fixable or does it need to go to my expensive dealer!?

Thanks

Ian

Had this on my series 1. Try moving back/forward a few times with ignition off, key out and try the odd up/down too. Then try again with ignition on. I think it was a connector sticking/drying out in the motor.

Had this on my series 1. Try moving back/forward a few times with ignition off, key out and try the odd up/down too. Then try again with ignition on. I think it was a connector sticking/drying out in the motor.

Thanks for the advice Dave - I just tried that but it didn't work. I took the plastic casing off to delve a bit deeper - the toggle switch seems to be working ok as it's making a clicking sound on each up/downstroke but there's no movement. There are a couple of allen key nuts on either side of the steering column above the ball joint for the wheel - I assume I could at least make a manual adjustment by loosening those & moving the wheel up??? I don't want to start loosening nuts on the steering without knowing what I'm doing for obvious reasons.... :unsure:

One would assume there is one motor for up/down, and another for forwards/backwards. Seems most likely that the up/down motor is stuck in some way, which would mean it needs removing for attention - unless you can dismantle the plastics, see the motor, and get some WD40 on it to try and free it up.

But that last bit was speculation, I don't actually know if you can do that!!

One would assume there is one motor for up/down, and another for forwards/backwards. Seems most likely that the up/down motor is stuck in some way, which would mean it needs removing for attention - unless you can dismantle the plastics, see the motor, and get some WD40 on it to try and free it up.

But that last bit was speculation, I don't actually know if you can do that!!

Thanks for that - I'm not sure where the motor actually is - there's nothing obvious under the plastic casing.... anyone have any ideas or a diagram perhaps?

Sorry can't help further. Mine self rectified after a couple of weeks.

Hope you get it sorted. If you have a good relationship with your local Lexus dealer then they can often be extremely helpfull. They may be able to point you in the right direction and maybe do a cheap or FOC rectification if it is a problem that they have encountered previously.