Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Big Freeze.

Andy-R

Last night was supposed to be the coldest night of winter so far -9 here(supposed to be anyway), but was it? Yesterday morning I went to take the kids to school at 8:40am and the outside temp gauge said it was -1 and the car was thick with frost and took about 10mins to clear, so last night was supposed to colder so I covered the windscreen to save time this morning, went out again at 8:40 the temp gauge said -4 but the car was clear as crystal the roof was white but all the windows where fine, the roads yesterday where also awful round here but today they where fine, I don't get it how can it be colder but not as bad as yesterday :huh:

Did anyone suffer because of last nights Big Freeze, already read Mr Moles thread about the trouble he had (glad your ok buddy) but what about anyone else.

Driving to work today, my car said -6 at one point.

But I found the windscreen much easier to clear today than yesterday, because it was just frost. Yesterday it was frost, then rain/hail on top which had frozen over again! Getting that stuff off was a nightmare.

Was ok in central London last night @ 1.30am, but as I was nearing home at 2.15am (travelling away from London)

the temperature was dropping quite rapidly to -5C when I parked up.

-5 isn't too scary so long as you are careful....see pic :o

-5ConwaytoTheNurburgring.jpg

I was on the way to the Nurburgring in -5C conditions for a lap or two of the most dangerous race track in the world. Cold ? Cold is for wimps !!

Eventually they opened the track though it was still -1C to 0C (patches of black ice everywhere :o :o)

-1CFirstNurburgringLap.jpg

Was ok in central London last night @ 1.30am, but as I was nearing home at 2.15am (travelling away from London)

the temperature was dropping quite rapidly to -5C when I parked up.

-5 isn't too scary so long as you are careful....see pic :o

-5ConwaytoTheNurburgring.jpg

I was on the way to the Nurburgring in -5C conditions for a lap or two of the most dangerous race track in the world. Cold ? Cold is for wimps !!

Eventually they opened the track though it was still -1C to 0C (patches of black ice evrywhere :o :o)

-1CFirstNurburgringLap.jpg

Those were the days mate, i remember them well :D

I don't know what's worse their Wozza - the fact there was black ice on the Nurburgring or the fact that you were taking photos of it as you were driving round :lol:

I don't know what's worse their Wozza - the fact there was black ice on the Nurburgring or the fact that you were taking photos of it as you were driving round :lol:

I was taking them as everyone else was still at the Hotel in Cologne :lol: but after about a third of a lap having

proper scary moments I chucked down the camera & just said to myself "lets keep the car on the track"

I must admit I found out that day I had a bigger pair than sense :yahoo:

I didn't drive my car today or yesterday coz it's still pretty icy and I don't have winter tyres. -19 last night and I was pretty miserable standing at the train station and wishing for some warmer weather!

As for the frost, if it stays cold for a while then the air becomes dryer and so the frost gets less, eventually no frosts as there is so little moisture in the air.