Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Choices

Aweb

ok so just had my MOT and the rears are borderline so i need to get some new ones ASAP.

I've got some quotes and shortlisted Avon ZZ3 and Pirelli P6000 for my budget (on offer at BlackCircles), Do you guys think these would be any good?

Also would you say it would be a good idea when doing the tyres to put the fronts on the rears and the new ones on the front? I'm thinking no as the rears are the drive wheels.

How much are you willing to spend per tyre?

I'd go for Goodyear Eagle F1 Asymetrics- Blackcircles do them for £105 each fitted (215/45/17). Had 4 of these fitted to my IS200 in Novemeber- best tyres I have used on the IS200.

I have had Avon Z223's on my IS200 before, found them ok, but the F1A's are much better.

I had Toyo Proxes T1R's on my FTO and they seemed pretty good. Are they not a slightly softer compound?

I'm after something with good life as I commute an hour a day so I dont want to have to replace the tyres too often :S

I had Toyo Proxes T1R's on my FTO and they seemed pretty good. Are they not a slightly softer compound?

I'm after something with good life as I commute an hour a day so I dont want to have to replace the tyres too often :S

Yes they wear quite quickly

well the fact i've got new rubber on the back has made a massive difference regardless of the brand! the car feels more stable and less like the rear is chasing me round corners (not that i've ever been drifting)

Although I need my tracking checked as i'm getting outside wear on the passenger front wheel, which conveniently is the corner of the car that got damaged when a driver cut in front of me at a junction! anyways that's another thread! but I had to have both fronts replaced as part of the repair so i would have thought the tracking would have been done!

well the fact i've got new rubber on the back has made a massive difference regardless of the brand! the car feels more stable and less like the rear is chasing me round corners (not that i've ever been drifting)

Glad you put the new rubber on the rear. Whenever you just replace two tyres, the new tyres should always be put on the rear, assuming both front and rear are the same size. This applies to both front and rear wheel drive.

what's WIM?

Wheels In Motion, check out their website here

I also highly recommend a trip there, even if it's a little out of your way. I'm sure that a full geometry check and setup there will help your tyre wear issues and probably improve the overall handling too. The OEM geometry settings for the IS200 (and I presume Altezza too) are actually faulty, and Tony at WIM carried out some work to investigate and come up with improved settings.

Are these settings available? I'm sure these guys are great but I dont really want drive 3hrs there and back! i've got a local place that will do the alignment and they've done a full alignment laser/computer on my previous car perfectly fine :)

A full laser tracker/alignment isn't the same as a full Geometry set up

(although your local garage will probably tell you otherwise).

WIM use a machine that costs somewhere in the region of £35,000.

Ask anyone, including someone who drove over 500 miles each way (Mole) as to the difference a trip

to Wheels-InMotion makes to the IS200 chassis.

The IS200 chassis is very adjustable, and is easier to get it wrong than right. The settings for the IS200

as supplied by Lexus are well documented to cause chronic inner front tyre wear.

WIM has the correct settings.....

I dont have inner tyre wear I have outer tyre wear on the passenger side front are WIM likely to disclose the correct settings?

when I had my last car done everything was adjusted when I had coilovers fitted. they adjusted the front and rear, toe, camber and castor was all checked and adjusted where possible. I watched them do it and it took about an hour. Whilst i've looked on the virtual tour at their equipment its much newer but i still see the same sort of stuff :)

I'm not saying the guys i've used are better but what i'm saying is I dont want to drive 3hrs there and 3hrs back when there is a local company that is 15mins away from me perfectly capable of doing the job :)

I know you have outer tyre wear, (saw that above) my point is the book settings the car will be set to by any

garage will be incorrect & cause inner tyre wear. The book settings are wrong, period.

Also the machine in use at WIM can also detect if any suspension components are out of line or bent. It can

even illustrate it on the screen with a photo of the part or parts affected. If your local garage has such

equipment that will do similar, then by all means go there. I mention this as you say the front coner of the

car was damaged. An alignment check will quite possibly miss critical issues and won't detect bent components.

They only need to be slightly affected (yet remain invisible to the naked eye) and will cause wear issues like

you are experiencing.

Regarding the settings, I'd suggest you contact WIM.

I dont have inner tyre wear I have outer tyre wear on the passenger side front are WIM likely to disclose the correct settings?

when I had my last car done everything was adjusted when I had coilovers fitted. they adjusted the front and rear, toe, camber and castor was all checked and adjusted where possible. I watched them do it and it took about an hour. Whilst i've looked on the virtual tour at their equipment its much newer but i still see the same sort of stuff :)

I'm not saying the guys i've used are better but what i'm saying is I dont want to drive 3hrs there and 3hrs back when there is a local company that is 15mins away from me perfectly capable of doing the job :)

May actually be worth asking them if they can handle caster, toe and so on, the place I used once said they were doing a full geometry but certain values they couldn't measure and so couldn't adjust!

The main advantage of Tony's machine is that it will also measure the chassis and highlight any incidents that have occurred inthe past and any failed components.

I know it's a long way though - in the past Tony has given the figures to other centres he was happy with like Drury Lane in Oldham, may be worth having a word with him on PM?

Tony Bones @ WIM created the sttings after much work on chassis research cars, these included Altezza & IS200.

Just remember the book values are wrong, and bearing in mind the chassis are the same, you need the revised

Geometry set-up. He has Geo'd well over 300 IS200's, so believe me he is the man in the know.

ok thanks for all your input guys! i'll double check the place i've used in the past can handle that stuff! it's been a couple of years since i've been so things might have changed!

I had a quick look on WIM's forum and saw some how some Lexus Main dealers had managed to get hold of the settings!

ok thanks for all your input guys! i'll double check the place i've used in the past can handle that stuff! it's been a couple of years since i've been so things might have changed!

Something else to bear in mind is that one of the items that needs adjusting (can't remember which) actually isn't directly adjustable on the IS200/Altezza. So the garage might say that it's not possible. However it is indirectly adjustable by tweaking someone else, which is what WIM do.