Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Cigarette Lighter Wires

• 13 years later...

Hi, I understand this is an old thread. But I can’t find any info. The cig lighter in my is200 didn’t work so I bought a replacement, when I fitted it the wires to the new lighter got really hot an produced smoke. I switched the car off an disconnected it. Switched the car back on an got more smoke from lighter wires and towards fuse box under the driver side. We managed to separate the wires an wrap in insolation tape until we can rewire it properly. All was ok. I had went of a drive for a hr and parked up for 45mins then back home. On my way home (20mins journey) a few miles away I notice smoke from the rear seat/boot area. Smelt like electric smoke again. My questions are, what is the cig light tied into, clearly other electrics for the car run threw that same circuit, I’ve also lost my dashboard light, my speedo and rev working work but not the backlights. I’m not car savvy. So can anyone help break it down for me? Thanks in advance 

Honestly and seriously?

Take it straight to an auto electrician and let them sort it. Unless you have the test gear, wiring diagrams and the knowledge (and if you had, you wouldn't have asked for help in here) you stand a very good chance of making things worse rather than better.

• Like 1