Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Choosing A New Head Unit

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Any thoughts on the Bluetooth bit ? ok, the head unit can talk to my phone, what would I need to make it fully legal to use while driving ?

Surely nothing mate, the phone stays in your pocket, all control of the phone is through the stereo so it will all be legal as soon as the headunit is in :)

Have you decided which one to go for?

That Pioneer one looks very nice though, nice work Johnboy :)

Any thoughts on the Bluetooth bit ? ok, the head unit can talk to my phone, what would I need to make it fully legal to use while driving ?

Surely nothing mate, the phone stays in your pocket, all control of the phone is through the stereo so it will all be legal as soon as the headunit is in :)

I've got the Pioneer double-DIN on order, same as Johnboy. Can't wait, *really* fed up with the lack of tunes in the car !

Yeah I've figured out a fair bit about the Bluetooth since originally posting. I thought I'd needed a cradle but I think I don't need one if I use the controls from the head unit, e.g. loading my phone book into the head unit and making calls from there without having to touch the phone. I also wasn't originally sure that the head unit came with a microphone but now I can see that it does.

Update - very frustrated ! Looks like these head units are hard to track down at the moment. Got one on order, waiting for stock. Fingers crossed they get one soon.

At this rate I might be buying an iPod just so I can listen to music in my car again !

EDIT - I take that back, a bit more phoning around and I think I've sound found some, woo-hoo ! :D

I've got the Pioneer double-DIN on order, same as Johnboy. Can't wait, *really* fed up with the lack of tunes in the car !

Yeah I've figured out a fair bit about the Bluetooth since originally posting. I thought I'd needed a cradle but I think I don't need one if I use the controls from the head unit, e.g. loading my phone book into the head unit and making calls from there without having to touch the phone. I also wasn't originally sure that the head unit came with a microphone but now I can see that it does.

The phone feature is very good, once you have loaded in your contacts, you can dial out from the head unit, also you can dial out a number thats not in the contact list too, just by entering the numbers, so your phone can stay in your pocket all the time. The supplied mic is very good too.

Sorry to hear your having trouble tracking down a unit Steve.

Did you find it mailorder Steve or is it somewhere you can get it today?

Both - somewhere I can mail order from and also somewhere I can visit. Will probably go there tomorrow. Am reluctant to say on here exactly where until I get one for myself ! But if anyone is desperate, then send me a PM.

Did you find it mailorder Steve or is it somewhere you can get it today?

Both - somewhere I can mail order from and also somewhere I can visit. Will probably go there tomorrow. Am reluctant to say on here exactly where until I get one for myself ! But if anyone is desperate, then send me a PM.

That's ace mate as hopefully if you get it tomorrow you can get it fitted - have you got that autoleads adaptor widget thingy already for it? Bet you can't wait :D

I hate being stuck in the car with no music, saying that though last time I did it was after having had the car 18 months I realised it had a band expander fitted and I could get radio 1!!

Yeah thanks Aido, the lack of music is really starting to spoil my driving experience ! Yep, I've got the lead and the fascia adaptor. Still part-way through sanding down the fascia and also in the middle of trying to pull out the old amp from the car. Now it looks like I'll be getting one tomorrow I'd better get my act together and finish off those items !

You're right, can't wait to get it installed ! :D

ok, I just picked it up. Woo-hoo ! :D

Got it from Car Audio Security. Paid slightly more for it (£230) but at least they had it in stock, and also they're not that far away from me (they're near Heathrow) should I need to take it back.

Of course I should really have had all the fascia finished by now, but I haven't. So now I can work on getting that sorted, so that I can get it installed before long.

Update - *finally* managed to get the OEM amp out of the car. That meant I could connect up the bypass cable, use some cable ties to tidy it away, and reassemble the removed panels on the passenger side of the car.

Still in the process of sanding down and painting the fascia, I keep ended up unhappy with the finish and starting again :lol:. Hopefully on the home stretch now.

Other things to do are to splice in the aerial amplifier cable and illumination/dimming cables, now that I've got the bypass cable in position.

Here's a pic of the head unit finally installed. Not the best picture in the world but it gives you an idea.

IMG_2473.jpg

Close-up of the new fascia after sanding/painting etc. I don't think I did too bad a job getting it closer to the look of the factory plastic. Is that a fingerprint I can see on it though ? :lol:

IMG_2475.jpg

Looking good mate, you've done a great job of the facia :)

So more importantly, how does it sound compared to your old one?

Thanks ! It sounds good, but I need to have a good read of the manual to figure out how it all works ! :lol:

Will be going out for a run later and will have a better chance to see how it all sounds.

Here's a pic of the head unit finally installed. Not the best picture in the world but it gives you an idea.

IMG_2473.jpg

Close-up of the new fascia after sanding/painting etc. I don't think I did too bad a job getting it closer to the look of the factory plastic. Is that a fingerprint I can see on it though ? :lol:

IMG_2475.jpg

I've changed my head unit too recently, but the bottom panel underneath the head unit with the heated seats button keeps coming loose on one side and popping out. Did you have this problem too?