Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is This Slicking Sliding Pins Or....?

kev dood

I know there have been a few similar topics but I am not sure which one might best cover my situation.

Last year ABM kindly told me that 3 of my 4 caliper slide pins were seized and therefore only one pad was really making contact. They freed them all up and I have never had better brakes.

But, probably due to my little use of the brakes on my short run to work, I think they my have seized again.

I notice when braking that the car pulls a bit to the right. And when doing around 10mph and braking hard, the front right wheel will lock easily.

Now, my question is, is this due to it being the only one really working and the other 3 having seized pins again (therefore a lot of braking force is being put on that wheel), or could it be something else, such as stickign caliper etc?

I have felt wheel after driving (and disc) and neither seem hot, indicating that the caliper is not seized I think so I am thinking it could be sliding pins again.

I am hoping to replace them all instead of just freeing them and cleaning them.

Could someone advise of the full list of part numbers for the pins, rubber seals etc etc needed for a 2001 (X) IS200? Maybe Chris if you see this, could you let me know prices?

Also can I get these from Toyota as Lexus are not so near to me!

My concern is that I have an MOT due very soon and if it fails I will either be gettng very cold or paying money to ABM to do it (I would rather not have to as I am capable of doing it myself - just wrong time of year). It is due a service too, so maybe its easier to just get them to do it all??

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

I know there have been a few similar topics but I am not sure which one might best cover my situation.

Last year ABM kindly told me that 3 of my 4 caliper slide pins were seized and therefore only one pad was really making contact. They freed them all up and I have never had better brakes.

But, probably due to my little use of the brakes on my short run to work, I think they my have seized again.

I notice when braking that the car pulls a bit to the right. And when doing around 10mph and braking hard, the front right wheel will lock easily.

Now, my question is, is this due to it being the only one really working and the other 3 having seized pins again (therefore a lot of braking force is being put on that wheel), or could it be something else, such as stickign caliper etc?

I have felt wheel after driving (and disc) and neither seem hot, indicating that the caliper is not seized I think so I am thinking it could be sliding pins again.

I am hoping to replace them all instead of just freeing them and cleaning them.

Could someone advise of the full list of part numbers for the pins, rubber seals etc etc needed for a 2001 (X) IS200? Maybe Chris if you see this, could you let me know prices?

Also can I get these from Toyota as Lexus are not so near to me!

My concern is that I have an MOT due very soon and if it fails I will either be gettng very cold or paying money to ABM to do it (I would rather not have to as I am capable of doing it myself - just wrong time of year). It is due a service too, so maybe its easier to just get them to do it all??

Anyway, any help would be appreciated.

toyota and lexus are the same thing matey so if you go in and order the pins they will be able to get you those and most of the time its next day.

if your car is due a serivce at the same time as the mot get the brakes done at the same time, as your ment too strip clean and grease all the brakes(its part of the service)so i cant see them taking much money if any to replace your seals and pins.

ummm, what they are meant to do and what they do are usually 2 widely different things though!

Also, Lexus are not servicing it so dunno what ABM usually do as part of service!

Doesn't pull much to the right so hopefully will pass an MOT ok.

Just want to try to keep the costs down really and thought would do them myself. But not in this weather!

ummm, what they are meant to do and what they do are usually 2 widely different things though!

Also, Lexus are not servicing it so dunno what ABM usually do as part of service!

Doesn't pull much to the right so hopefully will pass an MOT ok.

Just want to try to keep the costs down really and thought would do them myself. But not in this weather!

I did the slide pin overhaul topic you found earlier. I have now moved to Basingstoke so if you need a hand just give me a shout and you could pop round.

Ah, thats handy.

How long do you think it will take - dunno if I can do more than a couple of hours in this weather!!

I thought those part nos were for the GS300, which although should have the same pins as I think the calipers are the same, I would want to double check.

Maybe its worth me checking first to see if one is stick before doing all this work!! Guess you just pull the pads out and see if carrier moves!!?

One other point, the IS200 doesn't have slide pins on the rear, just a pin to secure the pads.

Shame the front is not the same.

i do wonder if my rears are a little seized then really!!

One other point, the IS200 doesn't have slide pins on the rear, just a pin to secure the pads.

Shame the front is not the same.

i do wonder if my rears are a little seized then really!!

Yup, you would have to check the rears for seized pistons instead. The fronts can sieze too, so you can check those whilst it is apart. As far as time goes, to overhaul the pins on the fronts shouldn't take anymore than an hour. I could do the fronts on mine in less than half that but of course if they are seized up, there is no telling how much effort it will take to get them out. Even if the caliper carriers have to come off, that is only a couple of minutes extra work. It only took me about half an hour I think to change Trudys IS200 front discs at a meet need Derby.

if the weather stays like today (i.e. around 2deg) then I might try it - just need to order the parts. Lexus are around £25 for the front pins and boots! Then need the grease too.

Where abouts in Basingstoke are you then? I am Hatch Warren. Maybe you could PM me your tel. no. or something incase I come a cropper??

Seized pistons are not good as might then need to get the refurb kit which is around £70 for rears and £90 for fronts from Lexus!! Gulp!

Don't buy the grease from Lexus or Toyota, get it from Halfords or Camberly Auto Factors, it will be about half the price.

If you do need to go the new caliper route on the back, might be worth checking out these places for prices (they may do seal kits too)

Brake Parts

or

Brake Parts Superstore

I'm in Cranbourne, so just round the corner. I'll PM you my number just in case.

cheers. Won't be this weekend as busy.

Think will MOT it and see what happens (Basingstoke Tyre and MOT Centre is £30). Have jury service coming up so gets in the way a bit!! Have to delay service til Feb I guess.