Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Tyre Pressures.

dave1

Just wondered how many LOC members adjust their tyre pressure to allow for the colder weather? I have for many years added around 2 to 3 psi in low temperatures to compensate for the variation caused by the weather. Chatting with friends and most don't and are unaware of why it is recommended.

I dont does it help ?

As I have done this for years I don't know. It will certainly be better for tyre wear.

Tyre manufacturers recommend it. Something to do with ambient temperature affecting actual pressure.

I dont does it help ?

OK, Michelin link

www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_cons_http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/inflating-tyres-winter/20070319171414.htmlbib_gof_pne_hvr.jsp

I dont does it help ?

OK, Michelin link

www.michelin.co.uk/uk/auto/auto_cons_http://www.michelin.co.uk/michelinuk/en/car-van-4x4/inflating-tyres-winter/20070319171414.htmlbib_gof_pne_hvr.jsp

They are not saying "run your tyres at a higher pressure in the winter".

They are saying - Be aware that tyres inflated at summer temperatures, will appear to lose pressure as the ambient temperature gets lower and will need to be re-inflated to account for this.

For normal road use, if you check your tyre pressures weekly - as you should - with the tyres cold - i.e. at the current ambient temperature, you should use exactly the same gauge pressure as you always do.

I dont does it help ?

OK, Michelin link

They are not saying "run your tyres at a higher pressure in the winter".

They are saying - Be aware that tyres inflated at summer temperatures, will appear to lose pressure as the ambient temperature gets lower and will need to be re-inflated to account for this.

For normal road use, if you check your tyre pressures weekly - as you should - with the tyres cold - i.e. at the current ambient temperature, you should use exactly the same gauge pressure as you always do.

My cars always used to be garaged in a fairly warm garage. I use my own inflator so I always allowed for the variation in ambient temperature between my garage and the outside, so always added 3 psi to take that into account. As my current journeys tend to be very short so the tyres dont warm up and put pressure to normal operating pressure I allow for this too.