Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

After Market Hid Lights

Hi Pete,

I have HID's fitted to my dipped beam, and loved them so much I got them for main beam too.

I would just get them for dipped beam for now then see how you go, unless your dipped and main beam

are on the same bulb ? (on the IS200/IS300 dipped and main beam are two seperate bulbs)

You can get HID's that fit cars with one bulb for main & dipped, Kenmac has then fitted on his LS400 Mk III.

Don't!!!!!!!!!! They do not work on the RX300 Mk1........well not on mine anyway....tried two different sets as well.....both claimed to work on all problem vehicles like BMW and Lexus which have complex wiring systems...

Niether set would work on my RX......be very careful.

A better and far easier solution is a set of HIR bulbs....these really do work and cannot be said to be an illegal fitment either if push comes to shove at MoT time....they give about 75% of the output of HID's.......

Did you change the polarity in the two prong connector going to the bulb?

You just use a sharp item to release the prongs and then reverse them - should get them working if you've still got them?

Did you change the polarity in the two prong connector going to the bulb?

You just use a sharp item to release the prongs and then reverse them - should get them working if you've still got them?

Neither supplier suggested that even after long and protracted debate!

Which connector are you specifically talking about......please?

Lexii....the HIR bulbs are a technology now exclusive to Toshiba originally licensed from GE......they are ONLY available in the 9006/5 format as the design of the bulb limits fitment.....they were originally designed for the Viper main beam to compliment the HiD dips.

Hope its OK to post the link...lots of information...mods please feel free to delete if inappropriate but surely of great interest to the Mk1 RX owners in particular without going the somewhat dodgy (legally) route of after market HiD's.

http://www.finemotoring.com/

Neither supplier suggested that even after long and protracted debate!

Which connector are you specifically talking about......please?

This is a pic of StevieWevie's I've nicked here:

IMG_2077.jpg

If you look at that closely you should see there is a tiny prong - think it's on the inside edge of each pin but can't remember.

Basically get a tiny jewellers screwdriver and if you catch it you should find the prongs can be removed from the plastic connector - literally just switch them around so left becomes right and vice versa and see if that makes any difference.

Had to do this with mine to get them working, think it was Chris Shipley who first did that trick to get them going, can't remember now.

Or you can often just force the connector in the "wrong" way round. It's worth a try and you can't damage things electrically if it's wrong, it just won't work one way round but should the other.

I tried the more elegant solution of moving the pins around as Aido suggested, but I'm a bit cack-handed so couldn't manage it ! :lol:

Have you got a connector like that pic I put up earlier on the bulbs or is it just the one like that coming from the car?

I'm a bit hazy on it now to be honest - I thought I'd done them in the house but looking at the pics on the net it looks like the only male connector like in that pic is coming from the car?

Actually scratch that - just looked at this thread:

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...mp;#entry572147

The pic earlier on I posted is coming from the bulb - it's that two pronged male connector that you want to flick the connections out of and reverse - make a good mental note as the first time I did it I took them both out the connector but had forgotten which way around they were to start off with :lol:

The old kits used to come with a little extension lead that would reverse the polarity - the were only about an inch long - struggling to find the thread on here though - I've got a feeling it was lost in the Prolex section when that was closed.

Woohoo.....would you Adam and Eve it......it works.....all the bloody time I spent ringing the suppliers for technical help....dopey ***** jockeys!

Yes the connector to the bulb on the Lexus loom just needs a little plastic tab cut off from inside the connector (very easy with a stanley knife) and it slips on in reverse....and bingo the HiD is now working......

Bit of a bugger though as now I hav a set of HIR bulbs surplus to requirements.....I wish you had read my original post a few months ago when I firsd got the HiD's :lol:

Much appreciate the tip.....now....who wants to buy some HIR bulbs? :lol:

Nice one mate :)

Have to admit I'd have left the plastic tab on there and just swapped the prongs over but at the end of the day it's the same result and they're working so it's a winner all round :)

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links