Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Replacing The Jbl Subwoofer Tomorrow!

Right then my job for tomorrow is replacing the subwoofer!

I've got the factory JBL system - think it's the same as the Mark Levinson & Harmon Kardon systems just rebranded depending on which part of the world you're in?

Anyway, new JBL sub arrived today from Toyota, I've already got the back seats out and this is what I'm looking at doing tomorrow:

http://bananags.grantham-international.com/GS_DIY/rear_deck/

I'm hoping this will remove the nasty farting type noise I get whenever the sub vibrates :D

Don't worry I'm the same :D

Looking forward to trying it though - ripped all the old TV aerials out as I think one vas vibrating slightly at certain frequency ranges against the roof trim!!

Can't wait to get some bass back in the car though, it's not worked right for a few months now and never had chance to sort it while I was busy at work so getting excited!

Note to self though - do not play Smack by Simon Patterson past 10pm on the dial when I've got it all back to normal :lol:

Some of the guys have gone aftermarket mate, to be honest I wouldn't have a clue what was needed or how to do the work to make it fit so I bought a replacement stock one - £146.20 + VAT :)

I didn't think was too bad to be honest?

..:: Edit ::..

Actually after seeing the Halfords site I see what you mean - they have similar looking ones for 50 quid.

I'm happy though as this is totally plug and pray :lol:

is it infinite baffle or sealed enclosure?

chances are its a specific model designed to work in that enclosure/system so it will be the best plug and play option.

you prob would get better results with a diff sub but would end up costing you more in time and cash!

hk, mark levinson and jbl are all same company but i would be surprised if its the same sub. all are very respectable companies though..

Mate whatever that first thing you said means I have no idea - straight over my head :lol:

It's the bottom left ones here:

diag_1CzIcB6.png

Actually they look different in the pics - I ordered the 070 which is the higher of the two but looks like it was replaced by the 071 which is the lower of the two with the bigger bracket.

Wonder if they reduced the size of the sub then - ah well there's one way to find out tomorrow :D

lol

sorry, IB or infinte baffle is, in some respect, just a fancy way of saying its not in a box!

does it just plat into the boot space or is it in a box sealed to the shelf?

a pic of the sub would be nice!!

Well it's definitely totally different to what I've got in there now - they must have revised the design as it's got a cover on the bottom now whereas you could hit the metal before on the old one!

Just uploading some pics now mate :)

Here we go dude:

img0038py4.jpg

img0039gz5.jpg

img0040vw5.jpg

I'll get a pic up of the original tomorrow but it didn't look like this one I'm sure of it!

As long as it plugs in and goes bang bang bang I'll be happy :D

it looks like they revised the design to add a rubber bottom and a top 'flange' so that the shelf doesnt drop onto the surround.

im not sure if the mounting points are in the same place looking at the two diagrams..

give me a shout tomorrow if it doesnt go to plan.. i dont think you too far away from me and ive got a few subs lying around!!

It does look different in the two pics doesn't it - ah bugger!

Saying that though the Toyota system does show the correct part number so fingers crossed they're interchangable :)

Thanks for the offer mate, will PM you my number :)

My hearing gets hammered enough in the clubs I go to :wacko:

Saying that the sound was louder at the K1 Cage Fighting I went to in Holland last year than at Armin Only :lol:

Just waiting for the ice to disappear before I venture outside but this stock system is more than enough for me thanks gents :D

Can I just say **** hell :lol:

This is a cow of a job - struggled to get the side panel off on one side and it's snapped - not a big issue as I'll just get new trim panels for both sides anyway :)

Right at the back of the noise stuff covering the boot which you have to lift up there are two trim things but there's not enough space to get them out without some sort of special tool I guess!

Anyway, got the old one out and they're the same size - will up some pics later and the old one has torn around the plastic which is what I guess was causing the fart noises!

Oh well off now to reverse what I've gone and done :lol:

I've done it :lol:

I should really never have attempted that - as I kept testing all my CD's to find all the bits that vibrate and I've ended up taking bits out the car that are redundant now, ie the old Toyota GPS transmitter and cabling. Daft as it sounds where the little cable runs under some others that was resonating at certain frequencies as well!

All that is left now is to pop to Lexus Monday to pick up some more trim pieces as I've got one rattle left in the boot which is caused by the trim hanging loose I guess - never noticed it as it's the bit actually on the roof of the boot - but when it was noisy I held that and the noise was gone :)

Got everything back together - and answered a question I've always wondered - would I fit in the boot - and the answer is yes :lol:

Had to get in the boot so I could get to some of the clips to push them out to kill rattles where they were redundant after removing various brackets and stuff - quite impressed now - much better bass response and the system sounds better than it actually ever has done while I've had the car so that's a right result!

When I picked the car up it had a rattling which I tracked down to the tv aerial cables in the roof tray - took those out but it was still never right.

All in all a winner :D

Just measured the old one mate and the cone is 23cm whereas including the plastic bit it's 25.5cm so I'm assuming that's the measurement they normally quote them by so yeah it's 10 inches - if that's not enough for any bird in my car then she's not the woman for me :lol:

I've done it :lol:

I should really never have attempted that - as I kept testing all my CD's to find all the bits that vibrate and I've ended up taking bits out the car that are redundant now, ie the old Toyota GPS transmitter and cabling. Daft as it sounds where the little cable runs under some others that was resonating at certain frequencies as well!

All that is left now is to pop to Lexus Monday to pick up some more trim pieces as I've got one rattle left in the boot which is caused by the trim hanging loose I guess - never noticed it as it's the bit actually on the roof of the boot - but when it was noisy I held that and the noise was gone :)

Got everything back together - and answered a question I've always wondered - would I fit in the boot - and the answer is yes :lol:

Had to get in the boot so I could get to some of the clips to push them out to kill rattles where they were redundant after removing various brackets and stuff - quite impressed now - much better bass response and the system sounds better than it actually ever has done while I've had the car so that's a right result!

When I picked the car up it had a rattling which I tracked down to the tv aerial cables in the roof tray - took those out but it was still never right.

All in all a winner :D

Just measured the old one mate and the cone is 23cm whereas including the plastic bit it's 25.5cm so I'm assuming that's the measurement they normally quote them by so yeah it's 10 inches - if that's not enough for any bird in my car then she's not the woman for me :lol:

lol

dont forget my secret for getting rid of rattles.. Blutac!!

always carry a piece with me as no matter how many i find another one appears!!

job well done so it seems!

Blooming heck that's a right good idea - I never thought of that!

The bits I couldn't get rid of I covered in vinyl tape to stop the knocking but blutack is genius :D

I might take it for a spin in a bit to see what it's like :)

Do subs have a wearing in period nowadays or can they just be used normally straight out of the box?

First time I've had a new speaker for ages and can remember years ago they needed something like 100 hours before they'd settle down fully and could be cranked up?

Nice one cheers fella :D

Sat in the car for about 30 mins with it going last night, had forgotten how much bass the sub adds as have gotten used to having the sound level pushed to the front of the car so the sub was never used!

It's much better!

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links