Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Driving License

morgz

Not sure if anyone has seen this

WORTH CHECKING YOUR LICENSE ASAP!

Unwitting motorists face £1,000 fines as thousands of photocard driving licences expire

Thousands of motorists are at risk of being fined up to £1,000 because they are unwittingly driving without a valid licence.

They risk prosecution after failing to spot the extremely small print on their photocard licence which says it automatically expires after 10 years and has to be renewed - even though drivers are licensed to drive until the age of 70.

The fiasco has come to light a decade after the first batch of photo licences was issued in July 1998, just as they start to expire.

Motoring organisations blamed the Government for the fiasco and said 'most' drivers believed their licences were for life.

This is a clip of an email a friend sent me.It does go into more detail but I cut it short & sweet!

Yeah, it was mentioned fairly recently but it's a good idea to remind people.

Also, when you get your new licence through, you need to check the category codes which show what you are allowed to drive - there was a spate of licences sent out a while ago which missed off the category A (full motorcycle) code even for people who had passed their tests years ago. DVLA, ever-helpful, refused to admit their mistake and made people take their tests again. Bike magazine reported that this had even happened to a serving bike copper - who then took his test on a full-livery police bike. :)

i have to admit tho i dont think its a way of ripping us off, each photo card is valid for 10 years, people ca change a lot in 10 years and i agree they should update there photo, same as passports. its only there for saftey and security

Yeah, it was mentioned fairly recently but it's a good idea to remind people.

Also, when you get your new licence through, you need to check the category codes which show what you are allowed to drive - there was a spate of licences sent out a while ago which missed off the category A (full motorcycle) code even for people who had passed their tests years ago. DVLA, ever-helpful, refused to admit their mistake and made people take their tests again. Bike magazine reported that this had even happened to a serving bike copper - who then took his test on a full-livery police bike. :)

thats why i always keep copies of everything before i send it away