Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Timing Belt

Hi Guys just a quick one.

I have a 04/04 IS200 Done 46k it has just turned 5yr old I know the the timing belt limits are 6 yr or 60k, im thinking of having it done in the near future just to be on the safe side. I Was going to do the water pump at the same time does any one think that this is a bit to soon or would you think it i sbest to be on safe side.

Cheers Guys

It's always better to be safe than sorry with something like this - and you might as well do the water pump at the same time as it will save you labour charges when it does need doing as the timing belt will have to come off for that anyway I think?

Agree with all the above, I did mine at just over 50k, although my car was nearly 9 years old at the time. As Wozza says, it's worth getting the bypass seal/o-rings changed on the water pump changed as well, since they can leak.

My water pump looked fine visually, but when it was changed I could see that underneath (hidden from view previously) it was actually leaking.

...the bypass seal/o-rings changed on the water pump ...

Do they come as part of the entire replacement water pump assembly or are they something else that is needed on top of that mate?

...the bypass seal/o-rings changed on the water pump ...

Do they come as part of the entire replacement water pump assembly or are they something else that is needed on top of that mate?

The pump comes with a new gasket, but the seals/o-rings are a separate part. I'll try and find the thread with the part numbers in.

The thread with part numbers (and diagrams) for the bypass seals (o-rings) is here.

The thread where I was debating exactly the same issue is here, along with a pic of my old water pump (leaking underneath).

Cheers fella, looks like that bits easy to change it if it ever goes - nice to know Toyota seem to stick to 16268F as the common identifier for those seals though - listed as the same on mine :)

Luckily that bit isn't leaking on mine yet :D Saying that neither is the water pump but I'm playing it safe :D

Does anyone know if a seized water pump would shred the timing belt thereby wrecking half the engine. If so, shouldn't the water pump be replaced with the timing belt at 60K or 6 years.

Does anyone know if a seized water pump would shred the timing belt thereby wrecking half the engine. If so, shouldn't the water pump be replaced with the timing belt at 60K or 6 years.

I would have thought that a seized water pump would just shred an ancilliary drive belt, there are separate belts that drive the power steering, alternator and a/c compressor, with the timing belt separate. I *think*, but am not sure, that the water pump is behind the drive for the power steering so that they operate off the same belt. So perhaps the water pump and power steering would fail together in that instance ?

I don't know though, I'm only guessing from diagrams such as this one