Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid's On Main Beam...anyone Done It?

04r1

I've got HID's on dipped beam and they are excellent, but it's always a let down when you put on main beam and the difference in lighting is minimal and YELLOW!!! :crying:

My question is, can HID's be fitted on main beam, and how do they work when you flash headlights...I know my dipped beam takes a few secs to actually light up, would it damage the HID's if they were flashed on main....

It can be done as Wozza has done it but like you say for just flashing someone they're not as good as normal bulbs as they don't get chance to complete the startup process - alsp HIDs see most of their wear in the initial warmup I believe and so if you're just driving around flashing the lights all the time they won't last anywhere near as long as the ones you have inthe dipped beam.

Saying that at the price they are now maybe that's not as much as an issue

It would be great for using in the countryside though!

Yes mate you can fit them to your main beam (HB3 9005 KIT) Think Wozza and Stav have them fitted at the moment :D

Thanks, I'll give 'em a go, got some 9005's from China for 60 quid for my old car and thought I may as well light up the street on main!!

Yes mate you can fit them to your main beam (HB3 9005 KIT) Think Wozza and Stav have them fitted at the moment :D

Thanks, I'll give 'em a go, got some 9005's from China for 60 quid for my old car and thought I may as well light up the street on main!!

Yeh worth trying them if you have them mate, and if your not happy with them you can always take them off again :D

Just one thing. HID's don't like being flashed due to their start up cycle etc. It is however just the same amount

of wear really wether they are fitted to Dipped or Main Beam, the reasoning behind it isthis...

The IS200 flicks on Dipped as well as Main Beam when you flash your headlights !! There will be very slightly

more wear to the Main Beam when you flash at night, but I can't see it makes that much difference as the

dipped get flashed as well as the main beam during daylight hours. I suppose it really depends how much of a

flasher you are :lol:

Like has been mentioned, you can easliy put the Halogens back in :D

It must be like Close Encounters of the Third Kind when you lot flash your headlights - especially if Wozza follows through after letting someone out at a junction :lol:

I'm actually starting to find that with having HIDs on dipped beam and halogens on main beam, if you flash someone at night then it's not very noticeable, presumably because the main beam flash is feeble compared to the dipped HID. I used to think that main beam HIDs would be a bit of a waste of time and also not a good idea due to the "wear" issue, but then I learned about the fact that your dipped beams flash anyway with the main beams, and I now quite fancy some main beam HIDs.

I'm actually starting to find that with having HIDs on dipped beam and halogens on main beam, if you flash someone at night then it's not very noticeable, presumably because the main beam flash is feeble compared to the dipped HID. I used to think that main beam HIDs would be a bit of a waste of time and also not a good idea due to the "wear" issue, but then I learned about the fact that your dipped beams flash anyway with the main beams, and I now quite fancy some main beam HIDs.

...well bunged 'em in and....wow...lighthouse bright :shifty: they actually flash quite well as both my HIDs main and dipped have a little surge (oohhh missus) :lol: before coming on steady. So flash is like super bright B) As the bulbs actually don't have elements, I think they will last longer than a normal bulb, time will tell.

Now just the damn fog lights....I'm joking, that's enough HID for the front

• 2 weeks later...
well what have you's got for the hid's 8000k or what

I've got a set of 6000k fitted at the moment but do have a spare set of 8000k bulbs if i fancy a change :D The 6000k set does give out a better light than the 8000k set and mines passed the MOT with both the 8k set and the 6k set fitted :)

so which one have you got for the dip lights

thanks

well what have you's got for the hid's 8000k or what

I've got a set of 6000k fitted at the moment but do have a spare set of 8000k bulbs if i fancy a change :D The 6000k set does give out a better light than the 8000k set and mines passed the MOT with both the 8k set and the 6k set fitted :)

so which one have you got for the dip lights

thanks

Got the 6000k ones in the dipped at the moment, These are the ones i brought put he's put his price up now eBay 190276780625 i only paid £59 for then 3 weeks ago and there very good, the ones i got from them were made by Philips so a named brand too :whistling: