Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Heater Issue On Start Up

I've had an issue recently when I start the car, the heater does not retain its previous settings.

It flashes orange for a about 30 seconds on windscreen/front button, then stops with no heating settings and a default temp of 22 degrees. I then have to reset back to auto with 21 degrees. When I start then engine next time same again? All my other stereo etc settings are retained.

Not spoken to lexus yet, not sure if its a fault?

PS I don't have multimedia unit.

Any ideas?

I've had an issue recently when I start the car, the heater does not retain its previous settings.

It flashes orange for a about 30 seconds on windscreen/front button, then stops with no heating settings and a default temp of 22 degrees. I then have to reset back to auto with 21 degrees. When I start then engine next time same again? All my other stereo etc settings are retained.

Not spoken to lexus yet, not sure if its a fault?

PS I don't have multimedia unit.

Any ideas?

Sounds like a fault. I've never seen the windscreen button flash and the previous temperature is maintained every time. I have the MM unit so it's possible there might be a slight difference.

Will speak to Lexus tomorrow. Its never done it before and I've had the car nearly 3 years. Only started when the weather got really cold. Maybe there is a Battery backup or something for heater settings? Anyway, I'm still under warranty, so I'll get onto lexus.

• 3 weeks later...

Had this issue last week, the main reason I noticed was the lack of air through the foot or air vents it was as if the selection had jammed on the windscreen setting. Also when you switched off you can hear the motors/servos driving/hunting trying to return to a position but not achieving it.

Not being able to take to the dealers and scared that a my satnav overide box had jammed in the mechanism I carefully removed the glove box etc to access the left side of the heater/aircon unit (which was the side the sound was comming from). After putting the unit into diagnostic mode.

Diagnostic mode.

Hode down the auto and r/f (recircirc/fresh) buttons together while putting the car in ignitio mode, all the lights on this panel should flash together 4 times. After the 4 times press the r/f switch and the unit should cycle through it modes. if you detect no change, mine was stuck on the screen defoggers then its a problem with the upper servo. Press the aircon off switch to get out of this mode.

Being of the adventurous disposition I removed the servo and checked its operation. I did take loads of photo's and marked the various gears and lever positions then jammed loads of bluetac in to keep this in position while I removed the plate holding the two servos.

What I found was the air selection servo main drive gear had was a few teeth out of sync and the levers driven off the second gear had jammed/jumped

Some 5 hours of head scratching and looking on the online workshop manual( which was no help) I worked out which position the levers had to be in and refitted the holding plate, without the servo so I could manually turn the gears to check the operation order. Once happy all was well I refitted the servos, reconnected the wiring and plugged in the AC controller. After removing the bluetac I did the above test and it worked also the flashing orange front screen light stopped and went into its normal green selection.

1 week later its still good. Do not try this at home, but could help point the dealers in the right direction when you take the car in.

• 2 years later...

Will speak to Lexus tomorrow. Its never done it before and I've had the car nearly 3 years. Only started when the weather got really cold. Maybe there is a battery backup or something for heater settings? Anyway, I'm still under warranty, so I'll get onto lexus.

Did you resolve the problem? My IS220 is now doing exactly the same!

Any advice would be hugely appreciated

Many thanks

• 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 7 years later...

My gs460 has the same orange flashing front windshield light issue And it turned out to be because my cabin filter retainer that sits behind the glovebox wasn’t clipped in properly. Checked, pushed it in so the two front clips clicked in and problem gone. 

I had this effect with the lights flashing / fading and seemingly having a mind of its own.

I was also suffering with lazy central locking.....again randomly deciding when to operate correctly.

I had my Battery checked including charging voltage and everything was ok..... but as it was the original Battery (10 years plus ) I had it changed and everything returned to normal.