Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Any Recommendations For Removing Old Sticky Pads From The Car?

aido

Right then, I have a new number plate on the way from Ireland but before I rip the old one off I can see I've got a lot of prep work to do before I can put the new one on.

Basically it's a mess of those double sided sticky pads used to put number plates on.

When I cleaned up the IS plateholder I just popped it off the car and used one of those sponges with the green back on to get rid of it all, but obviously can't do that on the paintwork of the bonnet, so just wondered if there were any recommendations before I start trying things blindly that I find on Google?

I'm guessing the best last step will be to clay the area fully and I'll polish it as well I reckon just so the bit under the plate is all nice and tidy!

Thanks in advance :)

I would put the WD40 on, leave it for a couple of minutes to soak in and try scraping off the residue, and applying a bit more WD40 as you go. I haven't tried it with WD40 but I did pretty much the same thing on my sticky pads with the AG Tar Remover. I have successfully used WD40 to remove sticker residue from a car window before though, worked pretty well.

I think I'll start with the tar remover as there are a lot of these things to remove - bit worried as to what faces me underneath :lol:

I've still got the two little holes at the back of the bumper so will be interesting to see if I can use those for holding the new plate or whether I'll just stick it straight on top :D

My sis is a nurse and she gave me medical adhesive removal wipes. They will shift even the stickiest of stuff, brilliant. Might be available in a pharmacy??? I used them to take off the decals on the climair wind deflectors for a more oem look, worked a treat, and didn't stain or leave any marks afterwards.

I used them to take off the decals on the climair wind deflectors for a more oem look, worked a treat, and didn't stain or leave any marks afterwards.

You've just answered a question I was thinking of asking there :D

Fancy some wind deflectors and the ClimAir ones seem identical to the Toyota ones but are available much cheaper over here - didn't like the logo though but if it comes off then that's a winner!

Have you got any pics of them please?

@ Wozza - hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm drink!

Isoprop and tar remover take a long time and effort to get the required result and could stain the paintwork.

I suggest you either hire or purchase the item shown below for quick and effective removal.

post-12144-1231963932.jpg

only just seen this thread aido mate.

yep, as stated, don't waste ur money on auto glym stuff, its a rip off for what it is. If i were you i'd use some IPA (propan-2-ol, isopropyl alcohol, whatever u wanna call it) and work that in. It won't damage ur paint (but of course try it in an inconspicuous area first) and due to its high volatility, will be dry in seconds.

another option would be an oil based product, like WD-40 or mineral oil. In fact, you could even try bog standard veg oil. shouldn't need much soaking in time. just dab it on a sponge and work it in gently.

if you want mate, i can bring you a bottle of IPA to the midlands meet?? not as if we've got a short supply in the labs, lol!!!

IPA? Isn't that only 99p at Wetherspoons :lol:

Cheers for that fella - I'm not sure I'll be there though as my car may not be ready but also I may not be ready to drive - hospital told me might not be able to drive til the end of Feb which will kill me :o

If you could get some please though mate and give it to Gord or someone I'll pick it up from them as it's more than likely my car will be at Charlesworth when this meet happens!

IPA? Isn't that only 99p at Wetherspoons :lol:

Cheers for that fella - I'm not sure I'll be there though as my car may not be ready but also I may not be ready to drive - hospital told me might not be able to drive til the end of Feb which will kill me :o

If you could get some please though mate and give it to Gord or someone I'll pick it up from them as it's more than likely my car will be at Charlesworth when this meet happens!

will do mate.