Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hi

I am very interested in purchasing an IS250 SE-L AUTO with the MM package and thought that id scan through the forums to make sure I know what to look out for.

The one thing that worries me is all the complaints about the rattles found in this car as its one thing I hate and certainly wouldn't expect from a Lexus.

Is this something that Lexus has dealt with in the newer models i.e cars after say 2007 or is this more of a hit and miss thing?

Thanks for your time

Francis

Hi

I am very interested in purchasing an IS250 SE-L AUTO with the MM package and thought that id scan through the forums to make sure I know what to look out for.

The one thing that worries me is all the complaints about the rattles found in this car as its one thing I hate and certainly wouldn't expect from a Lexus.

Is this something that Lexus has dealt with in the newer models i.e cars after say 2007 or is this more of a hit and miss thing?

Thanks for your time

Francis

I had some rattles in my 2006 220d which were completely sorted by Lexus with a special rattle kit. Since then I've been rattle free, so I would imagine that either the car you ate interested in has been de-rattled or you can ask the dealer to fit the kit. The areas of rattle that I had fixed were lower dash driver/passenger side and the top of the dash where the center speaker is. HTH

I purchased a new 250 SE-L MM in 2005 and it's never rattled. Anyone with similar experience rarely mentions it on the forum, but those that have suffered from rattles will post. Lexus have a fix for the known issues, and these should have been addressed at the factory on the later models. The vibration on the 220D appears to make these more susceptible.

Be warned though, the 250 is so quiet you'll hear the slightest noise. Get a seat belt that hasn't recoiled completely, or having anything loose in any of the storage compartments will be a source of annoyance that you have to fix immediately.

Mine (an 05) has developed the dreaded top of the dash rattle over the last few months. Being sorted under warranty as I write.

The rear view mirror also feels a bit creaky, and sometimes buzzes as a result. Again, I've asked them to look at that today.

Tis true though, the car is a victim of its own success in as much as its so quiet you notice the other noises. I even found my watch strap rattling the other day was getting on my nerves.

Sep07 and mine had the dash top rattle after a couple of months - fixed with rattle kit from dealer and no problem since.

I would suggest you think about the dealer experience as part of buying the car - I have had brilliant dealer experience with Teesside on this car and yet have had complete nightmare with other 'prestige' marks - this is a big issue for me.

Had my IS250 SEL for over 18 months now and been in 3 times for dashboard rattles on passenger side. Each time my fingers crossed but each time not resolved. The cold snap of late has made the rattles particularly bad recently. I will book in tomorrow for number 4 attempt.

Such a shame but the rattle is so annoying.....

My 55 plate 250-SE MM rattled from new (centre dash) was fixed under warranty, but they damaged the dash in process. So rattles and fixes to them make me sweat. Was worried if rattle came back that I'd have to entrust the car to the dealership again, but it never returned thankfully.

My 58 plate 250 Sport has had no rattles to date.

Mine was one of the first where the dealership tried to put in HD Foam in, re-positioned the dash etc. Nothing really worked, and in the end the centre console was getting creakier and creakier.

Some of you may recall - I even took a video of the creaks and gave them to the dealership. Made no difference. The bottom line is that some of the cars (especially the earlier ones) do have a problem with creaks and rattles that are difficult to totally eliminate. Some dealers are more competent than others at removing them too...

Mine had 3 or 4 including the buzzing from the B post which was literally driving me up the wall in the end (and it had been in several times)...and a Passenger seat which rattled when no one was sitting on it at between 65-70 MPH (6th was completely out of the question). Long journeys became tedious and I actually stopped using it for business, which is why it had lowish miles in the end...that coupled with poor consumption meant it had to go...

For anyone buying one - drive it carefully, in the cold weather with no heaters on from cold and the stereo off, listen out - and then when the engine is fully warmed, put the temp up to 23degs and drive around listening for creaks and groans from all parts of the cabin. As the plastics expand and contract with the temperature, you'll hear it if it's there, and loudly, and some may not go away once they start. Also, look out for the "high water mark" on the cover of the A post inside the cabin, where the dash meets the A post cover. A line on the felt type cover shadowing the dash could be a bad sign. That high watermark on mine was the amount the dash would expand and contract and when it was hot you couldn't see the line at all. It was approx 5mm...

Many cars do creak and rattle when cold, but a Lexus that rattles will be loud and you really will notice it as being odd...

My current car from the devil is 99.9% rattle free - the only slight noise being one minor "crack" from the windscreen vents when it warms up, but it's like 10% of the loudness of the Lexus one (which sounded like a big stone hitting the screen), and only happens when it's minus degrees and occasionally...

Seems like these issues are a bit hit and miss to me :angry: Has anyone had any experience with the Bristol dealer with regards to them being able to stop these rattles?

It has to be said, mine is pretty rattle-free. Yes, a slight creak from the dash which is due to be sorted, a drivers seat creak round corners which was easily sorted last service, and a creaky mirror- again due to be sorted and just me being ultra fussy before the wty expires. But the important thing is that is all sorted without question or grumble by an ever affable team at Lexus Reading. This is a far cry from the deeply indifferent experiences I've had at the hands of BMW/Audi.

A friends new shape 5 series seems worse rattle-wise, and worse wind noise, and an E46 3 series I had was diabolical. I guess you get unlucky with any marque.

the cracking noise (like a stone hitting the window)is infact the radio unit ,removal and refitting will sort it.

Only seemed to happen when the heater came on, and the dealership told me it was the plastic demist vents creaking

it is due to heat expansion,and the dealer said that it was an official lexus fix,i will know for sure soon because they aredoing it to mine.

MY latest Lexus has the odd occasional big crack sound near the windscreen.

Does sound like a boulder hitting the screen !!

My past experience of having dash noises fixed by Lexus dealer will probably mean I won't bother with this random one off noise, that only occurs on average once per long journey when heating up.

Hi there,

I've just had some severe rattles and creaks fixed in my car. See the following threads.

Dismayed...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=55222

Overjoyed...

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=56796

Lexus Stockport have fixed them - I'm overjoyed as I never thought they'd be able to fix them.

If I'm being honest I left it too long before taking in to see if they could be fixed.

They lined the centre console, gear area panels with felt lining and so far no problems.

They've done a great job.

Looking back now at the way the car was it just didn't feel right.

It was more that just a rattle it was the sound the car made when going over bumps.

The car felt loose. Now it's just the distant muted thud which is music to my ears.

Ok now and then I may hear the slightest creak every so often (usually if hit heavy pothole) which is expected. No car can be completely rattle free.

However the car sounds and feels right now that they have put the felt in to eliminate the creaks.