Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Thinking Of Buying An Ls430 (year 2001+)

Hi.

I am looking into purchasing an LS430 (year 2000+). I am no mechanic and my knowledge of cars in limited.

I need some advice on what to look out for when i go to inspect the car.

Are there any common faults?

What else do you advise me to look out for (e.g. rust,electric problems etc)

Your help will be much appreciated

Thanks alot

Guest inicol63

Hello a welcome to LOC

These car are pretty bullet proof.

Other than checking service history and checking the car is accident free the only other thing to check is the state of the alloys.

You may want to see if it has the latest sat nav up dated disc.

There s a LS430 on here for sale i believe the owner has had LPG added as well.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=55627

Good luck and i have owned one a found it to be a lovely car.

Ian

Make sure electrics all work, push all the buttons and turn all the knobs, including the ones in the back.

Drivers window can be a bit slow, but can be lubricated.

Check auto wipers work.

My door mirrors stick sometimes, but nothing that a bit of lube wont sort out.

See if you get a wobble on braking, LS can be hard on discs.

Dont know if others find this, but if I rev the car to 3000 revs and press the snow button then the revs drop to around 2000, you will need the snow setting in the bad weather.

Do all the ususal checks, service history, HPI, keys, etc etc.

Hello a welcome to LOC

These car are pretty bullet proof.

Other than checking service history and checking the car is accident free the only other thing to check is the state of the alloys.

You may want to see if it has the latest sat nav up dated disc.

There s a LS430 on here for sale i believe the owner has had LPG added as well.

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/ind...showtopic=55627

Good luck and i have owned one a found it to be a lovely car.

Ian

Thanks for the link. That looks like a fine example. ill be looking into it definatley. Thanks

Make sure electrics all work, push all the buttons and turn all the knobs, including the ones in the back.

Drivers window can be a bit slow, but can be lubricated.

Check auto wipers work.

My door mirrors stick sometimes, but nothing that a bit of lube wont sort out.

See if you get a wobble on braking, LS can be hard on discs.

Dont know if others find this, but if I rev the car to 3000 revs and press the snow button then the revs drop to around 2000, you will need the snow setting in the bad weather.

Do all the ususal checks, service history, HPI, keys, etc etc.

Thanks alot for the info. ill keep it mind when I go to inspect.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

12 months MOT is also always a good start,mine had 12 months and 12 months tax !

Service records are easy to forge, but see if they have the invoices to back up the service record, again mine did.

This alongside old MOT certificates can also warrant the mileage.

If not a call to lexus will also confirm if the car has indeed been serviced by an authorised lexus dealer.

Check the tires especially on the inside edges, unscrew the transmission fluid cap and check the condition of it.

Run the car engine dont be afraid of giving it a good rev look for all the tell tale signs of anything untoward.

Take the car for a good road test check out the heating, even if its summer run the heaters on full blast,and the air con on cold even if its winter.

Ask the owner lots of questions and ask to look at servicing invoices and repair bills.

Also get the car checked out, mycarcheck, HPI etc

When buying my lexus I was told walk away if it doesn't have full service,and a large number of previous owners is also not good.

Hi

Companies like mycarcheck.com etc are a bit of a waste of time, all these cheap car check sites etc only search on the registration number, now as most posh cars i.e Lexus will have had a private plate for most of their lives a check on a number is little more than useless. You either get the result of the private plate history, or a number which has been on the car for a short length of time..... (my own personal plate shows it is on a written off Mitsubishi.... must be years ago because I've had it since 2001)

Ask the seller for the 17 digit VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) and get this checked, it will cost far more than the £3.95 these places ask but you will then find the history of the car and not the number.....

Then when you look at the car, ask to see the V5 (registration document) and check the number against the one supplied and against the car, all cars now have a visible VIN usually at the bottom of the windscreen on the passenger side (RHD) I would also check the stamped in number under the bonnet, it's usually on the bulkhead, up near where the wipers are or on the inner wings.

Any genuine owner will be more than happy to supply the numbers to you and let you check them, do not be embarrassed to ask.....

If you do buy a ringer you will lose your money...

Good Luck

Pete

It doesn't matter who you use they all use the same four data bases, DVLA, Insurance, Police, finance.

Now..You can spend at lot at AA,RAC, HPI etc or get it checked at mycarcheck for £3.95 with also may I add, a £5000 guarantee should any of the information be wrong.

Pete is completely wrong when he says they just check the reg.

Their Classic Check provides:

* Finance Protection1

* Stolen (Police and Insurers) Check

* Our unique Stolen & Recovered Check

* Total Insurance Loss (Write-off) Category

* VIN (Chassis Number) Check

* 14 fields of vehicle information from the DVLA

* Mileage Check (at additional cost)2

* £5,000 Guarantee

Basically all the info you need if buying a car.

It doesn't matter who you use they all use the same four data bases, DVLA, Insurance, Police, finance.

Now..You can spend at lot at AA,RAC, HPI etc or get it checked at mycarcheck for £3.95 with also may I add, a £5000 guarantee should any of the information be wrong.

Pete is completely wrong when he says they just check the reg.

Their Classic Check provides:

* Finance Protection1

* Stolen (Police and Insurers) Check

* Our unique Stolen & Recovered Check

* Total Insurance Loss (Write-off) Category

* VIN (Chassis Number) Check

* 14 fields of vehicle information from the DVLA

* Mileage Check (at additional cost)2

* £5,000 Guarantee

Basically all the info you need if buying a car.

Hi

I'm sorry to disagree but it does not say anywhere on the site that they check the VIN number, they are very careful with the wording, even the guarantee only states that you receive information about the VRM not the VIN or vehicle it is attached to.

They give you info about the current vehicle that is attached to the VRM. They will give you all of its details for as long as that VRM has been on the vehicle, if it was stolen/smashed/financed etc before the VRM you gave them was issued to that vehicle then you will not receive the information. You will however receive information about the VRM when it was attached to another car which is just confusing and no help at all....

Nowhere does it say they check the VIN it says they will give you the current VIN to check against the vehicle you are buying, that is not the same.

If they do a VIN check then why can't you advise them of a VIN number and have that checked?

I have no axe to grind I just thought I would let people know of the glaring deficiencies of using these cheap checks....

If you do want to try it then ask them the question.... Is this search on the vehicle or on the VRM? I promise they will try to avoid the question and say that they give a guarantee of £5000 if the information given is WRONG, well it won't be wrong it will just be about the VRM and not about the vehicle....

Buyer beware!!!

Pete

Pete,

They certainly do check the VIN number and you have up to 30 days to have it checked by them, if you don't have the VIN number.

I tell you how I know because I have used their services myself.

My son purchased a 2007 Seat Leon in November, he did a mycarcheck for £3.95.

On deciding to buy the car he also had it RAC inspected, this also included a data check...It was absolutely no different in any shape or form or contained any other information that the £3.95 mycarcheck didn't.

So not wanting to waste money I used it myself to buy my Lexus and yes I was able to input the VIN number,every thing came back instantly A OK, for an extra £5.99 I could have also had the mileage verified, but seeing my car had documented service history I didn't need to.

Can I ask you a question Pete ?

Did you buy your Lexus privately or from a Dealer ?

A lot of these companies invite you to input your reg. no and they then come up with the vehicle type etc. I put in my last car reg. which I had for 6 yrs and I knew history from new. Amazingly they state that further important info is held for the vehicle. Exactly the same with wife's car which I purchased new for her. A lot of these so-called free quick checks are just totally false to make you worry and get their full info. Companies which use deceptive methods to worry you can surely not be trusted. I would therefore suggest caution when deciding which checking service to use if using one.

Even the RAC one isn't perfect, Tom who bought my last IS ran it through and it showed milage discrepencies yet it had never been clocked or anything so must have been a typo in the system somewhere. Does make you wonder though how many people walk away from cars that are actually perfectly fine due to data error!

Pete,

They certainly do check the VIN number and you have up to 30 days to have it checked by them, if you don't have the VIN number.

I tell you how I know because I have used their services myself.

My son purchased a 2007 Seat Leon in November, he did a mycarcheck for £3.95.

On deciding to buy the car he also had it RAC inspected, this also included a data check...It was absolutely no different in any shape or form or contained any other information that the £3.95 mycarcheck didn't.

So not wanting to waste money I used it myself to buy my Lexus and yes I was able to input the VIN number,every thing came back instantly A OK, for an extra £5.99 I could have also had the mileage verified, but seeing my car had documented service history I didn't need to.

Can I ask you a question Pete ?

Did you buy your Lexus privately or from a Dealer ?

Hi

Well if that's the case I'm glad, I had occasion to use one of these low cost sites a few years ago when they first started and the information from them was pathetic, I have a mate who works for Equifax but he was away and I needed a check. When he came back he checked it and there was loads of stuff that never came up...

He looked into a few of these sites and found that they were buying information from companies like Equifax but only very basic details i.e. just info on the reg number...

I suppose as time has passed they have sorted their act out better and maybe we can rely a bit more on their info....

Just don't take it as gospel and ask for proof...

As you mentioned about the full service history.... if it looks dodgy walk away... and remember, if it looks too good to be true it probably is!!!!

Pete

Did you have your Lexus data checked ?

I got it from an established dealer who had internet access to check vehicles, he checked it via the VIN number as I watched......

I just sold it today, the new owner didn't bother, I gave him the vin over the phone and told him to check it but I must have a trusting face because he was happy not to....

Pete

I wonder just how many people on here have bought from a dealer, been shown "their" HPI check and gone ahead ?

Did you know that around 70% of all cars in/on dealer showrooms /forecourts are on stocking finance.

Before they buy a car they have it data checked so it shows clear, but in turn they then buy the car themselves on finance.

But ! And its a big but.. If the dealership was to go under and they didn't clear the stocking finance on your car the car could be repossessed.

Even if you buy from a dealer should should get it data checked, and yes if its on stocking finance this will show up.

Before parting with hard cash make sure the dealer removes the car from any stocking finance or other legal incumbency

I wonder just how many people on here have bought from a dealer, been shown "their" HPI check and gone ahead ?

Did you know that around 70% of all cars in/on dealer showrooms /forecourts are on stocking finance.

Before they buy a car they have it data checked so it shows clear, but in turn they then buy the car themselves on finance.

But ! And its a big but.. If the dealership was to go under and they didn't clear the stocking finance on your car the car could be repossessed.

Even if you buy from a dealer should should get it data checked, and yes if its on stocking finance this will show up.

Before parting with hard cash make sure the dealer removes the car from any stocking finance or other legal incumbency

Mine was from a Lexus dealer. He had taken it in p/x on a GS450h. It was HPI checked after I agreed to consider purchasing the car. I also spoke to the previous owner after obtaining his details from the V5. I then paid a deposit via my credit card and paid the balance in cash when the sale was finalised and I collected the car. As far as I am aware the credit card company would have been equally liable with the dealer in the event of any untoward events transpiring.

Hi.

I am looking into purchasing an LS430 (year 2000+). I am no mechanic and my knowledge of cars in limited.

Thanks alot

I wouldn't rule out a very late LS400 if I was you I will list my reasoning below.

1) You can pick up a well looked after example for arond the £3000 mark these days. A 100% mint low mileage one for less than £4000

2) When I was looking for one I met 2 owners who had replaced their 400s with a 430 & said the found the 400 to be a more refined car. ( there are also reports that claim that the last generation 98 to 2000 Ls 400 was the pinnacle of the Ls range)

3) The road tax is a lot cheaper

4) You dont get that many more gismos in the 430.

5) You will not suffer as much depreciation in value.

If I was you I would drive both & see if you think the 430 is worth the extra money.

I may be biased as I have a Mk 4 but saying that I used to be in the trade & can honestly say that The MK 4 is a fantastic car & unbeliverble value for money, you could also put a bit of the money you saved aside & get it gas converted, be as cheap to run as a corolla then ( and do your bit for the enviroment)

remember its a buyers market, test drive loads so you get a good feel for the car. check all the electrics. listen for any clunks or creaks. A full main dealer history is best. check that the cam belt has been done. If this is all in order get a mate who is a mechanic to check it over. if you havent got one. see if you can take it to a lexus dealer for a pre MOT check ( some of them do it for free or for a small fee)

I bought mine in November a 98 full main dealer history cambelt,water pump,discs & pads just chaged. just fully serviced 2 owners with 132,000 miles for £2350 inc 6 months tax the original price was £4000. dont be afraid to make a silly offer as long as you do it in a friendly manner.

If you are patient and dont get youself over excited You will get a top car for a good price, & the golden rule is if you are not sure WALK AWAY

I hope this advice is of help, Good luck I am sure you will love your new car be it a 400 or a 430

Ta Mark

12 months MOT is also always a good start,mine had 12 months and 12 months tax !

Service records are easy to forge, but see if they have the invoices to back up the service record, again mine did.

This alongside old MOT certificates can also warrant the mileage.

If not a call to lexus will also confirm if the car has indeed been serviced by an authorised lexus dealer.

Check the tires especially on the inside edges, unscrew the transmission fluid cap and check the condition of it.

Run the car engine dont be afraid of giving it a good rev look for all the tell tale signs of anything untoward.

Take the car for a good road test check out the heating, even if its summer run the heaters on full blast,and the air con on cold even if its winter.

Ask the owner lots of questions and ask to look at servicing invoices and repair bills.

Also get the car checked out, mycarcheck, HPI etc

When buying my lexus I was told walk away if it doesn't have full service,and a large number of previous owners is also not good.

Great info. Thanks alot. I am noting all of this down and making a check list.

Thanks

Hi.

Thanks alot

I wouldn't rule out a very late LS400 if I was you I will list my reasoning below.

1) You can pick up a well looked after example for arond the £3000 mark these days. A 100% mint low mileage one for less than £4000

2) When I was looking for one I met 2 owners who had replaced their 400s with a 430 & said the found the 400 to be a more refined car. ( there are also reports that claim that the last generation 98 to 2000 Ls 400 was the pinnacle of the Ls range)

3) The road tax is a lot cheaper

4) You dont get that many more gismos in the 430.

5) You will not suffer as much depreciation in value.

If I was you I would drive both & see if you think the 430 is worth the extra money.

I may be biased as I have a Mk 4 but saying that I used to be in the trade & can honestly say that The MK 4 is a fantastic car & unbeliverble value for money, you could also put a bit of the money you saved aside & get it gas converted, be as cheap to run as a corolla then ( and do your bit for the enviroment)

remember its a buyers market, test drive loads so you get a good feel for the car. check all the electrics. listen for any clunks or creaks. A full main dealer history is best. check that the cam belt has been done. If this is all in order get a mate who is a mechanic to check it over. if you havent got one. see if you can take it to a lexus dealer for a pre MOT check ( some of them do it for free or for a small fee)

I bought mine in November a 98 full main dealer history cambelt,water pump,discs & pads just chaged. just fully serviced 2 owners with 132,000 miles for £2350 inc 6 months tax the original price was £4000. dont be afraid to make a silly offer as long as you do it in a friendly manner.

If you are patient and dont get youself over excited You will get a top car for a good price, & the golden rule is if you are not sure WALK AWAY

I hope this advice is of help, Good luck I am sure you will love your new car be it a 400 or a 430

Ta Mark

Hmm. I never really have done alot of homework on the LS400. its just been the 430. ill have a little read around the 400 soon. However, i'm really eyeing the 430 (54 plate). the post April 2004 model has all the gadgets that ill ever need ever!

Thanks for the info

Hi ubaid221,

I thought from your first post you were looking for an early 430, if you are looking at 54 plate models you are obviously looking at spending a lot more money, In this case I would be tempted to look at the auctions for a lexus, with some warranty remaining on it. The auctions are dead at the moment as the dealers cant shift what they have on their forecourts. so late motors are going for peanuts at the auctions, try looking on the BCA website, it gives you lists of upcoming auctions, All you need to do then is check the physical condition of the car & if theres any mechanical faults they can be done under warranty. DONT buy anything with no remaining warranty. You could end up with a 56 plate for less money than a 54 from a dealer or private.

ta Mark

Hi ubaid221,

I thought from your first post you were looking for an early 430, if you are looking at 54 plate models you are obviously looking at spending a lot more money, In this case I would be tempted to look at the auctions for a lexus, with some warranty remaining on it. The auctions are dead at the moment as the dealers cant shift what they have on their forecourts. so late motors are going for peanuts at the auctions, try looking on the BCA website, it gives you lists of upcoming auctions, All you need to do then is check the physical condition of the car & if theres any mechanical faults they can be done under warranty. DONT buy anything with no remaining warranty. You could end up with a 56 plate for less money than a 54 from a dealer or private.

ta Mark

Thanks Mark for the info. I am really looking for a post 54 plate models. Ill have a look around the internet to see if i can pick up a bargain. to be honest my budget is about £12000. I am still looking for a good example. ill try the website to see whats available.

Thanks

Hi a £12K budget at auction should get you a top one, as its not the sort of car the trade is intrested in buying now. They do come up at aution but you may have to travel, I recon you could make a £5K saving on a dealers front price.

• 3 weeks later...

From GS to LS :winky:

I've been more than happy with my GS so far.. its just.. i wanna know just excactly WHAT do You guy's mean when You say LS is more.. .. ..

Also-

Doing "homework" here i've noticed there's some improvements to LS430 from 2003?? :unsure:

Hi

At current prices a GS costs £25,000 less than an LS, the LS is just so much more... you have to sit in and drive the two to see the difference, the GS is a great car but the LS takes it a stage further, go and test drive one.....

In 2003 they face lifted the LS, it got different front and rear lights and wheels, the Premium pack (air suspension, rear air con, cooled seats etc) became standard, the sat nav was updated and it has Bluetooth and voice activation, it got a 6 speed gearbox instead of 5, and a few other things....

If you can afford it get the later one as it has more bits, get one with full Lexus history and check this with Lexus, take the car to them and get them to check it, it's not much and they will tell you it's history. Cam belts are changed at 100,000 miles or 10 years. It has a major service every 20,000 miles i.e. 20, 40, 60 etc, and a small service every 10,000 miles i.e. 10, 30, 50 etc. A full set of tyres can cost a lot so check them as well,

Good Luck

Pete