Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Motorway Driving Tips?

japthree

3 questions on motorway driving (ADIs / driving experts / anyone who can drive please reply if you can help!):

1.is it better to join the motorway in the right-hand lane of a slip road so you can see the cars on the motorway quicker and they can see you? You have a better "view" or "zone of vision"?

Any tips on safe joining btw? It's the thing I dislike the most about motorways!

2.Is it good practice that when you are in lane 1 (lane next to the hard shoulder) and passing or just before passing a motorway exit to change to lane 2 so that you won't have to change lanes if you were in lane 1 because a car might be / will be soon joining the motorway via a slip road?

3.When changing from lane 1 to lane 2 - is it important as well as checking for any cars in lane 2 (via your mirrors and blind spot) to check for any potential cars in lane 3 whom might be zooming from behind ready to change to lane 2 and CRASH!

Similarly if you are in lane 3 and changing to lane 2 then you should check in lane 1 as well as the obvious lane 2? I personally tend to forget to check the other lane when changing lanes :-(

I have DSA's Driving the Essential Skills and Roadcraft if you want to refer to particular pages / text. Quote me the page and I'll check it up. Cheers!

3 questions on motorway driving (ADIs / driving experts / anyone who can drive please reply if you can help!):

1.is it better to join the motorway in the right-hand lane of a slip road so you can see the cars on the motorway quicker and they can see you? You have a better "view" or "zone of vision"?

Any tips on safe joining btw? It's the thing I dislike the most about motorways!

2.Is it good practice that when you are in lane 1 (lane next to the hard shoulder) and passing or just before passing a motorway exit to change to lane 2 so that you won't have to change lanes if you were in lane 1 because a car might be / will be soon joining the motorway via a slip road?

3.When changing from lane 1 to lane 2 - is it important as well as checking for any cars in lane 2 (via your mirrors and blind spot) to check for any potential cars in lane 3 whom might be zooming from behind ready to change to lane 2 and CRASH!

Similarly if you are in lane 3 and changing to lane 2 then you should check in lane 1 as well as the obvious lane 2? I personally tend to forget to check the other lane when changing lanes :-(

I have DSA's Driving the Essential Skills and Roadcraft if you want to refer to particular pages / text. Quote me the page and I'll check it up. Cheers!

You should try joining the motorway from the left, yes from the left, fast lane, as you have to in Stockport :o

1. i am always in the second lane of a slip road, when entering a m-way

2.yes otherwise you may have to slow down, or the cars entering may need to adjust there speed quickly to avoid you, ive nearly had near crashes when not doing this.

3. yes always on the look out for cars which may move over, and i always indicate wait for a few seconds then make my move, i have moved over to the second and drivers moved from first and nearly collided

i travel 60 miles per day on the motorway, and the above seems to keep me safe, but not a prof driver or anything

My only tip on motorway driving

STAY OUT OF THE F**KING MIDDLE LANE! IF THE LEFT LANE IS EMPTY NEXT TO YOU MOVE INTO IT FFS!

Sorry it just really annoys me! esp when traffic doing 70/75 then has to move to the fast lane to overtake them causing everyone else to slow down. leading to tail backs.

1. yes but is dependant on other road users and their positioning & speed

2. yes but check to make sure lane 2 is clear first !

3. if possible, but by using your rear view mirror regularly will help to know wether lane 3 is busy.

Agree holeheartedly with Stav

(but Stav go take a chill pill mate, Wigan were the better side :lol:)

My only tip on motorway driving

STAY OUT OF THE F**KING MIDDLE LANE! IF THE LEFT LANE IS EMPTY NEXT TO YOU MOVE INTO IT FFS!

Sorry it just really annoys me! esp when traffic doing 70/75 then has to move to the fast lane to overtake them causing everyone else to slow down. leading to tail backs.

Driving in the middle lane when the inside lane is clear is nearly as bad as driving nose to tail at high speed and making it impossible for those courteous enough to move into the inside lane to get out again . . . :lol:

Lane one is your cruising lane. Lane's two and three are for overtaking only. Those who sit in lane two are causing an unecessasary hazzard as people will have to move from lane one to lane three to legally over take them.

When joining a motorway from a slip road, if all is safe, then approach on the far right of the slip road. This will open your view of the motorway earlier than if you were to approach on the left of the slip road, giving you more of an oppertunity to match your speed to that of the traffic in lane one.

When in lane one and you know you are coming up to an entry slip road to the motorway, have a good look at the slip road because you might not have to move to lane two if no one os coming along.

Mirror checking and blind spot checking are essential before any lane change. Traffic should be moniterd in all lanes to look out for the ones traveling in lane three who want to change to lane two at the same time as you want to move out to lane two.

Anticipation is the key to motorway driving. Remember most people don't know you are there so a quick flash of headlights can be an advantage before overtaking. Also, when overtaking foreign lorries, it may be worth moving out to lane three if it is safe to do so as they sometimes have a problem seeing who is on their right hand side. If this is not possible, then pass as quickly and as safely as possible.

Here's a question, it is illegal to "undertake" but if you are on a multi lane carriageway and the traffic in the offside lane(s) is moving more slowly than you in the nearside lane you can "undertake" Is this correct or not?

stay in your lane if traffic is moving slowly in queues. If the queue on your right is moving more slowly than you are, you may pass on the left.

Essentially then:

1. If the vehicle in front is waiting to turn right, and

there is room to do so.

2. If in slow moving multi lane traffic, and the queue

to your right is moving more slowly than you.

Other than these exceptions "undertaking" would be evidence of driving without reasonable care & consideration for other road users, there is no specific offence of undertaking.

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

Does that mean that undertaking while pipping the horn and putting your index finger and thumb together to form a circle and waving your hand at them is illegal then?

Even when they're going slower than the road speed limit and there's nothing in the left hand lane?

Oh my :shutit:

Better not do that again :lol:

Here's a question, it is illegal to "undertake" but if you are on a multi lane carriageway and the traffic in the offside lane(s) is moving more slowly than you in the nearside lane you can "undertake" Is this correct or not?

i dont think its classed as undertaking if for example your in the left lane in a dual carriage way and the right lane becomes slower as you are supposed to use the road in front if it is clear so as not to cause both lanes to come to a near complete stop, do it with caution keep your eyes open and just be careful of motors coming from the right lane. and i think it should only be classed as undertaking if you were to be doing it at stupid speeds for the traffic conditions by weaving in and out of traffic in all 3 lanes.

Other than these exceptions "undertaking" would be evidence of driving without reasonable care & consideration for other road users, there is no specific offence of undertaking.

It's legit to overtake on both sides in Texas and possibly the rest of the States. Makes you more aware of what's happening all around you, so what's the problem? Anyway, in the UK it appears you're not allowed in the right hand lane unless you drive a BMW :whistling:

It's legit to overtake on both sides in Texas and possibly the rest of the States. Makes you more aware of what's happening all around you, so what's the problem? Anyway, in the UK it appears you're not allowed in the right hand lane unless you drive a BMW :whistling:

But then you get people doing all sorts of speeds in every lane, and then people weaving in and out to get through. causing more danger.

But then you get people doing all sorts of speeds in every lane, and then people weaving in and out to get through. causing more danger.

Yes, just like the Dodgems at the fairground, only you don't tend to bounce off of Mack trucks or heavy duty Dodge Rams...hmmm, anyone know where they got that name :lol:

• 2 weeks later...

Yep it's all over the US, our system is better, but because normal people are such idiots I prefer their system.

I spent two weeks there over xmas, and driving was just so much easier can overtake in any lane I like so no need to sit behind people willing them to move over, no speed cameras, no speed humps.........

Also despite the pretty low crime rate over there and police officers not having as much to do (in Florida) there weren't any of them on the streets waiting for you with a speed gun............on my way back from the airport over here I passed three policecars waiting for speeding motorists :lol:

• 4 months later...

Can someone explain this to me : if I'm doing the official 70 mph on the motorway and am in lane 2 or lane 3 why should that be a problem? Because why would anyone want to overtake me (as you are supposed to be doing 70 max also?) And overtaking me would mean you are doing more than 70?

Also the other day there was a goods vehicle in lane 1 and another in lane 2 side by side. According to the Highway Code goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes (and cars towing trailers and caravans) are supposed to do 60 max. I overtook both of them by going into lane 3 and stuck at just over 70, maybe 72. Some one comes up behind me right on my tail and starts to flash to ask me to out of his way. I couldn't do this immediately as my left hand side was blocked. Soon though I moved into lane 2 and he zoomed off at around 85... into the distance...in lane 3 (exceeding the limit...).

Now... who is driving correctly me or him? Or neither?

IF everyone is driving at 70 in lane 1 (the "slow" lane) should anyone be in lanes 2 or 3 if you are all supposed to be doing 70? Unless of course you have to be in a particular lane as an exit or motorway is coming up.

The reason you move into the middle lane (lane 2) is to overtake a "slow" vehicle in lane 1 (i.e. not doing 70?) Right?

IF everyone is driving at 70 in lane 1 (the "slow" lane) should anyone be in lanes 2 or 3 if you are all supposed to be doing 70? Unless of course you have to be in a particular lane as an exit or motorway is coming up.

The reason you move into the middle lane (lane 2) is to overtake a "slow" vehicle in lane 1 (i.e. not doing 70?) Right?

In theory your right.

In practice you know it doesnt work.

I would expect if your overtaking two lorrys in lane 1 and 2 for people to accelerate a bit as its a bottle neck and just causes jams otherwise.

Can someone explain this to me : if I'm doing the official 70 mph on the motorway and am in lane 2 or lane 3 why should that be a problem? Because why would anyone want to overtake me (as you are supposed to be doing 70 max also?) And overtaking me would mean you are doing more than 70?

Also the other day there was a goods vehicle in lane 1 and another in lane 2 side by side. According to the Highway Code goods vehicles over 7.5 tonnes (and cars towing trailers and caravans) are supposed to do 60 max. I overtook both of them by going into lane 3 and stuck at just over 70, maybe 72. Some one comes up behind me right on my tail and starts to flash to ask me to out of his way. I couldn't do this immediately as my left hand side was blocked. Soon though I moved into lane 2 and he zoomed off at around 85... into the distance...in lane 3 (exceeding the limit...).

1. Lane 1 is not the slow lane.....it is in fact the lane which you should be driving in unless you are overtaking.

2. You say you are doing 70mph but how do you know that.......how often do you have you speedometer calibrated?

3. It is not your place to police the speed at which others drive on the motorway. What reason is there to sit in lane 2 or 3 if lane 1 is clear.

4. By driving in lanes 2 or 3 when you are not overtaking and are unlikely to need to overtake in the near distance.....10 seconds is/was the recommended figure......you are technically driving without reasonable consideration for other road users.

You quote the Highway Code regarding speed limits for goods vehicles so maybe you should read the Highway Code in more detail and then you will come to the following which relates to your point...

[Laws MT(E&W)R regs 6, 8 & 10 & MT(S)R regs 4, 5, 7 & 9]

Lane discipline

You should always drive in the left-hand lane when the road ahead is clear. If you are overtaking a number of slower-moving vehicles, you should return to the left-hand lane as soon as you are safely past. Slow-moving or speed-restricted vehicles should always remain in the left-hand lane of the carriageway unless overtaking. You MUST NOT drive on the hard shoulder except in an emergency or if directed to do so by the police, HA traffic officers in uniform or by signs.

Regards Dave

I always keep left when not overtaking,

when entering the motorway/carriageway don't the seperating lines for lanes stop before the end of the slp road anyway? (i'll check google earth shortly) and by this point you should be able to see adequately if theres room to enter the motorway/carriageway?

if i'm in lane 1 and theres a slip road joining, I pull into lane 2 if I can see theres traffic about to enter the motorway/carriageway and I have room to do so

I always try to leave space between me and the vehicle i'm following

DON'T start me on lane dicipline.... No...No... just don't !!!

We can't drive over here. I have no idea why but the majority of the population find it:

1) impossible to stay between two painted lines on the road (be that on a roundabout or a curve on a multi lane road)

2) find it impossible to move over from the middle lane (on a three lane motorway) once they have overtaken a vehicle in the either the 2nd or 3rd lane.

Compare this with say The Netherlands where (most of the time) drivers overtake and then move back into the nearside lane.

I so wish that they would introduce the US sytem of legal undertaking and also make it legal to turn (in this country it would have to be left) on a red light.

No....no.... don't start me off... please don't !!!! :tsktsk:

The Ed