Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Coilover Damper Adjustment

aido

I'm just looking at various coilovers on the net and can't quite figure something out.

The front set mostly seem adjustable from the top so you could do this from the engine bay - whereas some of the rear ones I'm looking at look as though they're actually adjusted from the bottom - is this right?

If I'm understanding that right you don't make the changes in the vehicle from the boot - but you've got to lift the car and then get at the adjuster from underneath?

Or are the rear ones adjustable at both ends normally - top and bottom?

It's the HSD ones I've noticed this on but not sure if other ones are like this or not?

The TTE ones I had on the IS were not adjustable. Also do any of you know what the spring rates of the TTE coilovers were please for the IS?

Thanks in advance :)

When i had coilovers on one of my RS Turbos they had top adjustable at the front and bottom at the rear? Not sure why though mate? Think the top adjustable all round would be better though due to corrosion on the rear adjusters (mine were like a thumb wheel on the rear) and a pain to adjust after a bit of time :unsure:

Oh actually Anees, how do you find the ride quality of the Flex on bumpy roads?

I've just been looking up spring rates for the GS and see that the Flex are 16/12 whereas the Comfort Spec are 9/8

The roads around here are a bit crap so I'm a bit split between the HSD RA which I think are 14/12 and the Smoothies which I guess are 12/10 - just waiting for confirmation from HSD / Driftworks now :)

I did ask the same question when I was looking at coilvers and if you read the US forums they all rate the Tein Flex and CS (comfort spec). I was considering the comfort spec too, but after talking to Dave and also Gaz Walker (from Envy) they both said the CS was too soft for it to really make that much of a difference to handling.

The concensious was:

Comfort Spec if you want to keep optimum "Lexus" ride quality and not really get significantly better handling then stock. Its a way of lowering ride height, without loosing much quality.

Flex - If you actually want to feel the difference; it is much much better then standard. I also have the EDFC controller but have not really had much time to play with it yet, but trust me, you can really feel the difference between the stiff settings and the soft settings. Gaz Walker told me that he had the Tein CS on his and regretted getting them because they were too soft and he always had his Tein EDFC on stiffest.

When I was deciding between them, Gord said to me "the Americans don't really have many corners" so I went for the Flex. On the motorway they are great and around town. On bad surfaces they are harder then stock, but not that much worse - its more that they are slighter noisier (get a bit more wheel noise).

Hope that helps.

Anees :)

That's bang on cheers fella :D

I'm a bit split as from what I can read the HSD ride a bit smoother than most Jap coilovers of the same spring rate anyway - I'm just waiting to hear back from Driftworks to clarify spring rates and then it's up to Steve tomorrow :lol:

What I don't get is that my car is still ok on the motorways and stuff which surprises me looking at that back shock - I think deep down though I'm just looking for and excuse to get coilovers :D

I can see I'll be ringing DW tomorrow to ask some questions if Steve says they need swapping and I'll get a set sent straight to Charlesworth to put on my car next week!

What is pretty cool is that no matter which ones I order the HR spec or the Smoothie spec - as long as you order from them you can get the springs for the other set for about 80 quid - that way you've got the best of both worlds I guess!

I think I'm going to end up with the HR which is the Flex equivalent like you say - the Yanks do like their very smooth rides and it wouldn't be as much fun! And also you nailed it when you said about them not having corners - it's all blocks over there isn't it - and I've not taken that into consideration with all the threads I've read on ClubLExus!

What are you up to tomorrow fella as a few of us at Steve's if you're about at all!

Just thought as well the reason the guys in the US are getting such premature balljoint failure is because they love slamming their cars on their arses as they don't have speedbumps in that many places over there!

Just thought as well the reason the guys in the US are getting such premature balljoint failure is because they love slamming their cars on their arses as they don't have speedbumps in that many places over there!

Yep, Mr Singh eat your heart out! :lol: Mega low rides over in the US mate; the main reason some of the US guys seem to go for the Flex over the CS is because you can go much lower with the Flex but that didn't really bother me at all; the rest prefer the super smooth ride of the CS. My threads over at Aristo Club forums also give some info.

Talking about slamming cars to the floor, your IS200 was not exactly on stilts was it? :P

Wish I could see you guys tomorrow mate, would have been fun; but working unfortunetly. :crybaby: :crybaby:

Anees

Will see you soon mate anyway :)

Yeah my IS was a bit low, to be honest it was a blooming ballache as quite a few times I'd see speedhumps I didn't think I'd make it over and would have to turnaround!

Saying that this thing catches the arse end already and it's on pogo sticks - think the way they made the exhaust wasn't as high as it could have been, guess it's been down for flow - although admittedly daft as it sounds I guess coilovers will resolve the issues I have now as the car won't be as bouncy over speedhumps and therefore won't catch as easily!

The funniest I ever saw the IS was one day when there was me, Rob I think, Andy Hart, Sara and Andy's dad all in there. I've never to this day seen an IS as low as that was - but you couldn't drive it down the middle of backroads as it was dragging it's entire arse along the floor :lol:

Got some admiring looks from the local chavs though :o