Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Is200 Speakers

Im guessing you connect the existing cables to the new stuff. I don't wanna do anything I can't undo should I sell the car in the near future. I could be wrong though. Sure Dj Wozza will be able to answer all soon...

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why do you actually need crossovers?

Couldn't they just make the speakers so they could just take a full signal and the speaker would just play whichever bits it could out of the frequency range?

Always wondered ever since I had a sub connection on my old Yamaha amp - don't get me wrong it sounded bloody brilliant (still does 10 years on) but I don't get why they haven't just moved that functionality into the speaker itself?

Or is it so that you can get a precise cutoff to control how it sounds?

Why do you actually need crossovers?

Couldn't they just make the speakers so they could just take a full signal and the speaker would just play whichever bits it could out of the frequency range?

Always wondered ever since I had a sub connection on my old Yamaha amp - don't get me wrong it sounded bloody brilliant (still does 10 years on) but I don't get why they haven't just moved that functionality into the speaker itself?

Or is it so that you can get a precise cutoff to control how it sounds?

on the mb quart's i have i can adjust the db level of the tweeter also :winky:

Just bought a pair of them Alpine SPS-171As! £53.99 Delivered on eBay. Brand new and never fitted to his car. He had good feedback so will see what they are like when they arrive!

Next question, who would like to help me install them at the meet? And don't be shy people! :winky:

all depends on how good you want the crossover to be.. the good ones will have coils and slow 'glow' fuses to dissipate heat, and ensure a clean signal goes to each speaker.. a cheap one will just be a capacitor (i think) on the back of the tweeter

A good one..

MB-Quart-QSD-213.jpg

a cheapo one..

g5402.jpg

Just bought a pair of them Alpine SPS-171As! £53.99 Delivered on ebay. Brand new and never fitted to his car. He had good feedback so will see what they are like when they arrive!

Next question, who would like to help me install them at the meet? And don't be shy people! :winky:

you bring the cordless drill mate and we can do it...

Just bought a pair of them Alpine SPS-171As! £53.99 Delivered on ebay. Brand new and never fitted to his car. He had good feedback so will see what they are like when they arrive!

and a dremmel :winky:

(cos those tweeters are a little larger than oem)

Cheers dude, much appreciated, as is everyones suggestions and input on this thread. Will the speakers come with self tappers or fixing screws etc? What size drill bit you think I need?

Talking of Dremels was in Aldi the other day at Derby and they were doing something that looked very similar at a decent price - have no idea how much Dremels are though so maybe it wasn't that good :lol:

Wounded, don't have a cordless Dremmel...

Is changing these speakers going to mean I can't stick the OEMs back in if I sell the car?

Cheers dude, much appreciated, as is everyones suggestions and input on this thread. Will the speakers come with self tappers or fixing screws etc? What size drill bit you think I need?

they should come with the screws if they've never been fitted,should only need a smal ish bit its only to drill out the self tappers (6-8mm i think)

Wounded, don't have a cordless Dremmel...

Is changing these speakers going to mean I can't stick the OEMs back in if I sell the car?

not unless you have a rivit gun!

I have a Dremmel with a selection of adaptors for it, would bringing in the different ends in and using the cordless drill be easy enough?

Maybe DJ Wozza can shed some light on this...., although the back of yours look dead neat and tidy.

i have a cordless dremmel type device but i just used a stanley knife!!

then stick it to the bracket that the oem one came on..

you will also need a speaker adaptor or an mdf baffle

will bring a bag of tricks.. it may be a long day!

In all honesty, for the money you have paid for them, surely easier to leave them in ?

I wouldn't have gone down the secondhand route unless the guy specified on the auction they hadn't been

out of the box and had a reciept. Aaron bought some from E-Bay and they erm didn't perform well. I do

really hope these are ok mate.

As for the wiring, from memory the OE wiring splits once it reaches the door, with the tweeters having a

capacitor as the crossover to prevent the bass reaching the tweeter.

FrontSpeakerWiring.jpg

This diagram should help, it shows the wire colour and the fact the speakers are wired in parallel.

The feed wires for the Passenger Door (purple+ & blue-) then go into the input + & - on the crossover, then the

wires on the crossovers are clearly marked for woofer & tweeter. Check the polarity carefully on both input & output

on the crossover, or the speaker will be pushing instead of pulling and will lose bass.

The Drivers Door should be Lime Green+ Turquoise- and then you should be done.

Don't forget you can cut the existing speakers to use as mounts/spacers, buy Vectra ones from Hellfrauds,

of if you handy with some MDF, make your own.

Also I would suggest soldering wiring connections & use heatshrink, never use scotchlocks !!

Cheers Redz_uk and DJ Wozza, I owe you one! Nobody mentioned I need an adaptor though :tomato: is this the adaptor? Click Me

As for the speakers dude, they are new. He specifically stated that they were boxed and unused....

The reason you need a speaker adaptor/spacer is the OE Lexus speaker has the spacer ring bonded to it,

(which you can cut & re-use but means the OE speaker is fit for the bin).

The reason there is a ring in the first place is that the speaker needs to be away from the door panel to allow

the window to rise/fall correctly without hitting the magnet. Also that wiring diagram colours should be correct

but just incase follow the wiring back from the tweeter & woofer when you remove them.

Cheers Redz_uk and DJ Wozza, I owe you one! Nobody mentioned I need an adaptor though :tomato: is this the adaptor? Click Me

As for the speakers dude, they are new. He specifically stated that they were boxed and unused....

i have no idea which is the correct one mate as i made my own!!

ive got these here

but ill be making mdf ones in the summer

ive got these here

u sure there 5 1/4"??

ive got these here

u sure there 5 1/4"??

yeah,still got the box :winky:

Sorry Aaron, I'm sure they should be 6 1/2" ones ie like those from the Vauxhall Vectra

@Kazi I am pretty sure they are the ones mate, check the woofer size against the Alpine before you try to fit.

I think those you have linked to are adjustable to take the smaller speakers as well.

EDIT****

These are what you need LINKY :D

Sorry Aaron, I'm sure they should be 6 1/2" ones ie like those from the Vauxhall Vectra

@Kazi I am pretty sure they are the ones mate, check the woofer size against the Alpine before you try to fit.

I think those you have linked to are adjustable to take the smaller speakers as well.

yeah,sorry my mistake i had the wrong box out it was for my gf's old corsa,kazi has the right ones just checked the code :blush:

I'll nip into Halfords tomorrow and check stock of those ones in my link, I'll buy them a bit nearer the time and bring them along, if they are no good and the box is unopened im sure Halfords will take them back. Think the ones you've just found Dj Wozza are the same ones as Halfords ones. Even has the same part number on the box, just Halfords have listed it wrong on their page.

Just to let you know mate there are 2 virtually identical ones that should be absolutely fine.

Autoleads: SAK-2902 Astra/Vectra 1995+

or

Autoleads SAK-2802 Suzuki Balerno May 1995+

The Vauxhall ones can be used to mount 16.5cm (6 1/2" or 13cm speakers (5 1/4")

Whilst we are on the subject, Redz how thick are your MDF spacers ? Any pics ?

Latest Deals

Lexus Official Store for genuine Lexus parts & accessories

Disclaimer: As the club is an eBay Partner, The club may be compensated if you make a purchase via eBay links