Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Ok, this is my very first posting so Hi to all!! I've just bought myself a GS300 Sport MK1 and I absolutely love it!! It's near perfect but the rims have suffered like they usually do. Hear comes the silly question: I've got the hand book but it only mentions the rim sizes for GS not the 300 Sport. I've got

245 x 40 tyres on the front and 275 x 35s on the rear. I'm therefore assuming that I've got 8.5 rims on the front and 10s on the back? Are these the standard rim sizes for the GS Sport??

I've now got two options: get them refurbished or go for an aftermarket set. I think I prefer the latter option as I always like to put my own little bit of personalisation on my cars. Looking at the wheels available on the various websites, it doesn't look as though I'm going to have trouble finding something, BUT, finding a 10 x 18 aftermarket alloy is proving pretty difficult which leads me to suggest that there aren't many options open to me.

I'd be really grateful if you guys could suggest some brands that can supply a 10 x 15 that you think looks cool on the GS300 sport. One last question: I have found a rim that I really like that can be supplied 8 x 18 and 9.5 x 18. Could I use these with spacers or is that a no no?

Thanks and appreciated for any help!

Welcome to the club, You will find a lot of info about Lexus that you will find no where else.

For your wheel, this picture

http://www.lexusownersclub.co.uk/forum/upl...-1118434599.jpg

is of lexus most popular MK1 wheels, if you manage to get one of these that will fit perfectly well.

If you have already got such wheels, then a refub will do the job.

Please make sure that you install YR type or ZR type tyres, on your wheels, because guys who buy MK1 as their 1st Lexus will drive them hard, so these tyres are bit sustainable for a high speed driving, just a bit of safety advise.

I hope you will enjoy your drive on MK1

Kind regards

-shuja

Ok, this is my very first posting so Hi to all!! I've just bought myself a GS300 Sport MK1 and I absolutely love it!! It's near perfect but the rims have suffered like they usually do. Hear comes the silly question: I've got the hand book but it only mentions the rim sizes for GS not the 300 Sport. I've got

245 x 40 tyres on the front and 275 x 35s on the rear. I'm therefore assuming that I've got 8.5 rims on the front and 10s on the back? Are these the standard rim sizes for the GS Sport??

I've now got two options: get them refurbished or go for an aftermarket set. I think I prefer the latter option as I always like to put my own little bit of personalisation on my cars. Looking at the wheels available on the various websites, it doesn't look as though I'm going to have trouble finding something, BUT, finding a 10 x 18 aftermarket alloy is proving pretty difficult which leads me to suggest that there aren't many options open to me.

I'd be really grateful if you guys could suggest some brands that can supply a 10 x 15 that you think looks cool on the GS300 sport. One last question: I have found a rim that I really like that can be supplied 8 x 18 and 9.5 x 18. Could I use these with spacers or is that a no no?

Thanks and appreciated for any help!

Hi Mate,

Don't know if this helps or not, but I have a 1996 GS Sport (UK model) and my tyre sizes are the same 245 40 18 Y (97 load). Therefore I have the same sized wheels on both front and back!

I'm not sure, but I think imports have the wider rear wheel! So, I would guess that you could get a matched set of 4 alloys and tyres (as above).

Cheers,

Phil

Wasn't it a dealer option to have the rear 10 inch TTE alloy?

You'd probably find the narrower alloy will fit fine and you probably won't need spacers as it would clear the brakes as they're not the biggest on these cars?

At the minute on mine I've only got 7.5 or 8 inch front and back (not actually sure which these are!!) and the main problem is that the rear wheels sit inside the arches.

Something for me to sort out closer to summer!

Thanks for the feedback chaps.

As far as measuring my rims are concerened, is it just a case of sticking a tape measure through the spokes and and then measuring as best I can accross the width? Or, I've been told that you don't measure the outside of the rim for the correct size but you measure the INSIDE of the rim where it meets the hub. I'm lost, although I know the tyre width when you look from behind looks huge. Surely I have the 10s

It does sound like it mate - I think with those wheels you have there there's an easy way to tell.

The fronts which are the narrow ones, are straight faced - whereas the same design in the 10 inch rear is curved in from the outside of the wheel to the hub - if it's flat faced it's the narrower version, if it's the curved face it's the big fat 10 incher :)

Plus the size of the rubber should give it away too :)

It does sound like it mate - I think with those wheels you have there there's an easy way to tell.

The fronts which are the narrow ones, are straight faced - whereas the same design in the 10 inch rear is curved in from the outside of the wheel to the hub - if it's flat faced it's the narrower version, if it's the curved face it's the big fat 10 incher :)

Plus the size of the rubber should give it away too :)

Cheers fella! Well mine definitely have the curved rear spokes. But, I've now been told by a couple of wheel companies that they're actually 9.5 inches

• 2 weeks later...

Jemster - keep your original wheels as they are now as rare as rocking horse sh@t.

You definitely have the more desireable set up with the 10" rears and 8.5" standard fronts.

The 10" wide rears was an option on the sport model over the standard 8.5" wide wheel side

Incidently a pair of 10" wide rear wheels sold on eBay recently for £300 (with tyres).

The correct tyre sizes are 245 40 18 on the front and 275 35 18 on the rear (the rears for some reason have a slightly lower profile tyre).

Cost of refurbing the standard sport wheels used to be around £65 + VAT, so far cheaper than buying new.

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Keith. As you've suggested I'm going to keep the alloys and get them refurbished at a later date - didn't realise they were THAT desirable. Anyway, I've now ordered a set of 19" Mania Vortex R's. www.wheelmania.co.uk. 8.5 front and 9.5 rear with Falkens. Should look the dogs dangly bits!

The correct tyre sizes are 245 40 18 on the front and 275 35 18 on the rear (the rears for some reason have a slightly lower profile tyre).

This is because the rear tyres are wider and the 40 or 35 part of the tyre size is taken as a percentage of the tyre width.