Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

New Lexus Hybrid 250h

I'm surprised at this - the boot in the current IS is already tiny, I wonder where the batteries and motor will go...

Having said that, Tesla have managed to get 6400 laptop batteries and a motor in a small sports car the size of an Elise (admittedly without a combustion engine) so with Li-batteries anything is possible.

Also - why have they tweaked the best looking compact exec and made it look like something made from Plastic, over designed and almost Korean looking :question: In fact it looks almost like the Clarity from the front...

Also - why have they tweaked the best looking compact exec and made it look like something made from Plastic, over designed and almost Korean looking :question: In fact it looks almost like the Clarity from the front...

My thoughts too. Why oh why do manufacturers think that hybrids should look like novelty toy cars?

I'm surprised at this - the boot in the current IS is already tiny, I wonder where the batteries and motor will go...

Having said that, Tesla have managed to get 6400 laptop batteries and a motor in a small sports car the size of an Elise (admittedly without a combustion engine) so with Li-batteries anything is possible.

Don't be confused by the 250h badge. It's not based on an IS, doesn't use any IS chassis, bodywork or engines and sizewise is designed to fill the gap between the IS and the GS. It's pretty much the new Prius with a boot that's been Lexified.

I really don't like it either, and don't really get it. The fact that it's not coming to the UK makes it obvious it's not a real Lexus (even in their eyes, like the ES). But given the fact that Lexus are struggling to sell cars here, it might make sense to bring it here, I know there would be a lot of people who'd have one.

What was the point in making a camry hybrid in a Lexusified prius body? I think the reason why it fits is that as it's front wheel drive, there's now plenty of space for the batteries (as there's no transmission at the back) whereas the IS has a lot more going on at the back. I know this is a bad time to be spending a lot of money on development but it would have made a lot more sense to produce a real Lexus hybrid that could be marketed to the whole world and really boost the brand. These half hearted efforts at making the same car with different badges is what got GM in so much trouble, Toyota should really be more careful............

Don't be confused by the 250h badge. It's not based on an IS, doesn't use any IS chassis, bodywork or engines and sizewise is designed to fill the gap between the IS and the GS. It's pretty much the new Prius with a boot that's been Lexified.

completely different engine to the Prius but the wheelbase is the same so probably the same chassis.

Here is the press release for the HS 250:

http://www.lexus.com/fcv/HSHybrid/HSHybrid...ressReleasePage

completely different engine to the Prius but the wheelbase is the same so probably the same chassis.

Yep it's the next gen Prius underneath, but with the mechanicals of the Camry Hybrid.

that is the reason, why they won't sell it in europe.

people here are not crazy enough...

All this criticism is fine, but Lexus is running out of suitable models to sell in Europe. Cr@ppy diesel in the IS, uneconomical petrols in GS and LS, and very top-end only hybrids in GS, LS and RX (especially next year's). Where to go from here?

All this criticism is fine, but Lexus is running out of suitable models to sell in Europe. Cr@ppy diesel in the IS, uneconomical petrols in GS and LS, and very top-end only hybrids in GS, LS and RX (especially next year's). Where to go from here?

Honda Clarity - that is the future - and others are also developing Hydrogen fuel cell...

Toyota seem to be going headlong down one route - other manufacturers are going down multiple routes in parallel...meanwhile the Lexus petrol engines are standing still and becoming very un-attractive from an emissions and economy perspective.

I know on here we know how good the IS250 Auto is overall, but everyone else has overtaken it now with higher displacement, more power to the wheels and better economy...

Time to wakey wakey me thinks....

That just looks wrong for a Lexus. It is really ugly and I hope they don't bring it to the UK!

PS: WHATS with Lexus and the 70's style digital clock on every car's dashboard they make! GET RID OF IT!

I assume this is the HS, not the IS... thank goodness as that hybrid thing is astonishingly ugly.

Lexus do need to look at the engines IMO- BMW manage to produce engines that are charismatic, economical and powerful. I can't understand why they don't sell the IS350 in Europe.