Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

A Real Jerk When Driving!

GWilso

Hi guys I need your help and knowledge

MY newish (to me) 05 IS200SE is starting to worry me a bit,

When the engine is cold and I'm in 1st 2nd 3rd gear if I take my foot of the accelerator I get a real jerk as the car starts to slow I know 1st gear has always been a problem I'm used to that.....but 2nd 3rd is especially bad also

I remember from my last IS a couple of years ago there was a slight jerking when depressing acc but not like this,

Is this a common fault? it seems to get a lot better as the engine heats up is there an easy resolve for this? And is there anything Lexus can do (that actually works) whilst its still under warranty?

And finally will this have something to do with the faint knocking noise I can hear from the offside of the car quite difficult to pinpoint exactly. But also seems to go away when the engine has warmed up.

Any Ideas or Solutions greatly appreciated

GWilso

Where does it feel like it's coming from ? Does it seem like a "driveline shunt" sort of thing where the engine is moving on its mountings ? Does it happen if you gradually take your foot off the accelerator or only if you take it off suddenly after revving it ?

I guess if it's still under warranty you can take to to the dealer and see what they think.

It happens on both occasions all I need to do is take my foot completley of accelarator and the rev's to drop very quickly causing the car to jerk I thought it was a common problem on the IS, its mostly noticable when the engine is cold?????

My 05 plate IS does it also...as did my brand new IS a few years ago.......i think its just because of the cold start up the ecu does as in regards to the fly-by wire throttle cos there is a slight delay between you depressing the accelerater and the ecu responding.....so you get the jerk...

Just what I wanted to hear,

Thanks Daz do you have any of the prob's with the knocking noise I mentioned?

My 05 plate IS does it also...as did my brand new IS a few years ago.......i think its just because of the cold start up the ecu does as in regards to the fly-by wire throttle cos there is a slight delay between you depressing the accelerater and the ecu responding.....so you get the jerk...

Just what I wanted to hear,

Thanks Daz do you have any of the prob's with the knocking noise I mentioned?

Yes mate still get the knocking noise now and again same side drivers side.....traced it down to the inner oil valve of the damper must be to do with the valve itself and the viscosity of the oil inside.knocking .then travels up inside the damper body and into the cabin.( ive spoken to Tony Bones @ WIM and also another person who has been in the trade for a long time and both come to the same conclusion )......i will know for certain mate when i get some new dampers/springs or coilovers..... :winky: i doesnt affect nothing its just a pain in the bum...shame though. :yawn: .....but gives me an excuse to get a bit lower and treat my car to new suspension... :hehe::lol: :D

My IS also does that jerk. Not when cold, but few seconds after start. Once the engine i properly warmed it disappears.

When SNOW mode is engaged, this jerkiness is much smoother.

So, good to know it's normal.