Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

hello, Ok its been very cold lately and like most people have been using de-icer and scraping the sreen 1st thing in the day. And with no clues the driver side washer jet just stopped working, Ive topped up the tank and passenger side is fine.

Ive removed jet from car and water runs through pipe smoothly so its definatley the jet. Now thinking this would be a five minute job im now posting on here for help an hour later... I cant clear the jet... ive soaked in boiling water.... ran a hose pipe through it (best i could) ...wd40 ... and switch cleaner and no joy . If you blow through mouth u get a few bubbles but its a strain.

Any ideas or is a £42.50 trip to lexus for a new jet (price may well be accurate lol)

thanks steve.

Hi,

The only other thing I can suggest is to get a sewing pin ( not needle) and push it in and out of the jets a few times this will either sort it or completely finish it off.

Try not to apply any lateral movement when you do this or you will alter the jet direction as they are on "eyeball" sockets.

No, NO, NNNNNOOOOO

Do not use a pin you will damage the spray profile. The nozzle is probably chromed brass and the pin is steel.

Use a bristle off a tooth brush, the one you keep in the glove compartment for cleaning the sh*t out of the switches and buttons in the cabin.

No, NO, NNNNNOOOOO

Do not use a pin you will damage the spray profile. The nozzle is probably chromed brass and the pin is steel.

Use a bristle off a tooth brush, the one you keep in the glove compartment for cleaning the sh*t out of the switches and buttons in the cabin.

only if you are a complete ham fisted brain dead numpty and the only mechanical thing you are allowed to do is turning a key!!!! no one is suggesting to FORCE the pin/needle into the washer, if someone does then thats tough for them :lol:

No, NO, NNNNNOOOOO

only if you are a complete ham fisted brain dead numpty and the only mechanical thing you are allowed to do is turning a key!!!! no one is suggesting to FORCE the pin/needle into the washer.. Of course our suggestions assume that whoever is clearing the nozzle wont try to hammer the needle in. :tomato:

If you do happen to be a complete ham fisted numpty please remember to use a 14lb hammer and not the 'sledge'. Another good tip is to place a thick blanket on the bonnet so as any accidental force inflicted onto the bonnet will not result in any dent too unsightly.

When I got a load of rubbish in the bottom of my washer bottle I stripped the jets down to clean them out.

The water comes out of a ball shaped piece of metal with a hole in it, you move this about so that you can adjust where the spray hits the windscreen.

The ball pops out quite easy by holding the jet, push a needle in part of the way and just levering it out (carefully!).

Do it with the other one, then you can clean the jet out completely.

when you are done the ball just pops in with finger pressure.

Put the jet back on the car and adjust it so that the spray hits about 4 inches from the top of the screen.

Yes you can damage it, yes you can loose it, yes you have to be brave, yes you can make a dogs breakfast of the job, but if you are prepared to buy another one then it doesnt matter if you rolex the job (just dont scratch the bonnet).

Some quality posts guys thanks.

no the price was a guess lol

yes i had the day off work

Will strip jet down and remove ball over w/end, i didnt know it could b removed so will give it a try, and with an airline

if not ill bite the bullet and buy new. job done.

Never thought this would take more than an hour to fix !!!

steve.

:offtopic:

Will strip down and remove ball over w/end,

Be very careful when doing this, make sure the garage door is shut at the least...... :whistling:

Or perhaps you could give us your address and we can all come and watch..... could be a laugh.....

Pete

hello, Ok its been very cold lately and like most people have been using de-icer and scraping the sreen 1st thing in the day. And with no clues the driver side washer jet just stopped working, Ive topped up the tank and passenger side is fine.

Ive removed jet from car and water runs through pipe smoothly so its definatley the jet. Now thinking this would be a five minute job im now posting on here for help an hour later... I cant clear the jet... ive soaked in boiling water.... ran a hose pipe through it (best i could) ...wd40 ... and switch cleaner and no joy . If you blow through mouth u get a few bubbles but its a strain.

Any ideas or is a £42.50 trip to lexus for a new jet (price may well be accurate lol)

thanks steve.

Hi Steve, I have tried everthing to unblock the drivers side washer jet and have now resolved to removing both jets and giving then a good clean or buy new. Do you know how you remove the jets without cuasing any damage, It look a fiddly job.

thanks steve.

Hi Steve, I have tried everthing to unblock the drivers side washer jet and have now resolved to removing both jets and giving then a good clean or buy new. Do you know how you remove the jets without cuasing any damage, It look a fiddly job.

Hi , Yep its quite easy .

open bonnet and look for a black oval blanking trim- gently prise off with a flat blade s/driver (i did get mine off with a finger nail) being careful not to drop it into the e/bay.

Its difficult to see into the hole due to location but the jet is held in place by a upper and lower spring clip which is part of the jet assy. again using a stubby flat s/driver its a case of pushing this into the main body of the jet when you get it right it should lift a little on the bonnet, then its just a case of wiggling it out so to speak. Best to do this when you have the new jets to go straight in else you will have to clamp the hose to stop it falling back into the hole.

am takiing mine into work ttommorow to airline it out.

steve.

thanks steve.

Hi , Yep its quite easy .

open bonnet and look for a black oval blanking trim- gently prise off with a flat blade s/driver (i did get mine off with a finger nail) being careful not to drop it into the e/bay.

Its difficult to see into the hole due to location but the jet is held in place by a upper and lower spring clip which is part of the jet assy. again using a stubby flat s/driver its a case of pushing this into the main body of the jet when you get it right it should lift a little on the bonnet, then its just a case of wiggling it out so to speak. Best to do this when you have the new jets to go straight in else you will have to clamp the hose to stop it falling back into the hole.

am takiing mine into work ttommorow to airline it out.

steve.

Cheers Steve I will give it a try tommorrow.

It is so much easier to just push a brush bristle down it. Take a stiff one out of the dust pan brush. It takes seconds can be used to re direct the nozzle and does no damage.

Hey its not very macho though! :lol:

If you prefer to go to all those lengths then you are welcome to all the trouble.

I like an easy life and to drive the car in working order for the least expense.

used an airline with jet attachment on washer jet today in work and the little bugger took it for abbout 5 seconds then blew out a black messy goo. job done now works fine. also blew ou the pollen filter at the same time , job done,

steve

Another tip is to use de-ionised or distilled water if mixing up screen wash.

Most of Britain has hard water and it will clog up those jets in no time at all if added out of the tap to a screen wash mix.

Living in South Devon I am lucky that we are one of only a few areas in the UK that has naturally occurring soft water.

• 2 weeks later...

Just some feedback on how I got the problem sorted. Removed screenwasher jet as advised and the tried every method known to man and beast to get it unblocked. You name it tried it.

Eventually I noticed that the jet was manufactured in two components and with surgical precision using a stanley knife I managed to separate the two piecess.

Inside I found a spring loaded check valve assembly,the check valve was clogged up with a thick blackish green slime.

I carefully cleaned this up and cleaned out the jets again , the assembly was then stuck back together with superglue. Care taken not to glue up the check valves.

I let the glue cure for a couple of hours and then refitted to my LS400 and it works fine. This perhaps goes someway to explaining one they are so expensive to buy from Lexus (circa £50). They are not just a sreen jet as fitted to other marques.