Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Folding Mirror Fault

aspire

Hi and Happy New Year

My 2002 SC430 door mirrors are no longer reliable. Sometimes they fail to fully retract, sometimes don't fully extend back out. If one sticks, the other seems to be affected, too.

A few months ago I tried a squirt of WD40 between the mirror housing and the arm it is mounted on. That seemed to make them work, but only for a few weeks. So then I took the opposite approach, and used some fine string to "floss" out any dirt (and WD40) from the same place. That seemed to work for a few weeks, then less reliable again.

I run this car on a bit of a tight budget, and can't afford hours of labour charges stripping/investigating such a fault. Has anyone any similar experience that was successfully fixed, or any suggestions?

Thanks

Derek

Hi and Happy New Year

My 2002 SC430 door mirrors are no longer reliable. Sometimes they fail to fully retract, sometimes don't fully extend back out. If one sticks, the other seems to be affected, too.

A few months ago I tried a squirt of WD40 between the mirror housing and the arm it is mounted on. That seemed to make them work, but only for a few weeks. So then I took the opposite approach, and used some fine string to "floss" out any dirt (and WD40) from the same place. That seemed to work for a few weeks, then less reliable again.

I run this car on a bit of a tight budget, and can't afford hours of labour charges stripping/investigating such a fault. Has anyone any similar experience that was successfully fixed, or any suggestions?

Thanks

Derek

It's probably just a build up of dirt in there.

I had the same issue with the wifes SC driver side. Just take them off, strip them down and give them a good service/clean.

Only other solution is to replace them really.

I hate to say this but last year I had the same problem with the mirrors on my 2003 SC and in the end the dealer offered to replace them (the car was under a years warranty). Funnily enough one went and then about a month later the other went.

Replacement is expensive but if you are on a budget then I suggest strip down and clean first.

Thanks for your advice. I'll try cleaning them out, but might just have to lose this useful feature and leave them folded out!

Derek

It's really not a big deal to clean them. I'm a big advocate of diy :whistling: (lol) That aside, if you understand how something works, you can fix it. I've practised this theory for many years with great success and only have 1 bucket of bits left over :lol:

Enjoyed your post v much! Only one bucket?

I would count myself as sympathetically minded in engineering matters, but not used to tackling car problems - happy to build furniture, or a new pc, for example. Can you give me a link to a site that might help me with the DIY approach to the mirrors?

Thanks

Derek

sorry to say that the only way to cure this is to replace the mirrors that are failing to retract/open. the mechanism inside the mirror becomes ingressed with dirt and water and cannot be rectified. the wd40 helps but as u have found out, does not last. common fault im afraid.