Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Chassis Dynamics Query

aido

Now I've got the suspension I can play with just wondered what the optimal driving stance is for a car like the Aristo?

At the moment it's been lowered so that the front and back are roughly equal at two fingers gap between the top of the tyre and the wheelarch, with the drivers front slightly higher to take into account the driver.

My suspension had dropped at the back so couldn't get any reliable readings from the floor to the top of the wheelarch so not sure what the difference is as standard.

Is the back supposed to be slightly higher, lower, the same - or does it not make so much difference?

As it is I'm really happy with it but wondered if there's a more optimal setup?

Likewise damping adjustment. Stiffer at the back - the front - or same all around?

At the moment I've gone for the same all around.

I guess if it's stiffer at the rear it will cause the backend to snap out more freely?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm already thinking about going to see Tony to get the geo done - just not sure whether to do that Friday or in a few weeks once I've had some other work done! Thing is I've got a feeling I may be altering the setup slightly when I pop to see the guys at Charlesworth so may be better in a few weeks. Car feels superb though so I'm not slamming it!

Now I've got the suspension I can play with just wondered what the optimal driving stance is for a car like the Aristo?

At the moment it's been lowered so that the front and back are roughly equal at two fingers gap between the top of the tyre and the wheelarch, with the drivers front slightly higher to take into account the driver.

My suspension had dropped at the back so couldn't get any reliable readings from the floor to the top of the wheelarch so not sure what the difference is as standard.

Is the back supposed to be slightly higher, lower, the same - or does it not make so much difference?

Likewise damping adjustment. Stiffer at the back - the front - or same all around?

I guess if it's stiffer at the rear it will cause the backend to snap out more freely?

Thanks in advance!

PS - I'm already thinking about going to see Tony to get the geo done - just not sure whether to do that Friday or in a few weeks once I've had some other work done! Thing is I've got a feeling I may be altering the setup slightly when I pop to see the guys at Charlesworth so may be better in a few weeks. Car feels superb though so I'm not slamming it!

If you pop in to see Tony @ WIM on friday i could come down and see you im not far from WIM..or let me know when you go Aido

Thanks in advance!

I would leave it for few weeks, then take it to Tony mate :D i always think its better to have the back, just that bit higher than the front, as when i 1st went to the ring, my is200 was low at the rear, was not nice at all :duh: when i got back Steve put the back end up again, and was much better to drive.

Mega :)

My backend is a bit higher now I think mate, like you say will be best in a few weeks as it will settle - going to get some milage on it these next two days though - proper fun :D

Dunno Aido, but I would be interested to know if there's a reason because the American spec Eibachs I have on my 250 drop the front more than the rear, whereas the European/UK eibachs for the 250 have the same drop all round. There's also a difference in the stiffness between the American and UK springset (strangely the UK spec is softer), but I don't believe there's a difference in stiffness front to rear on either spec.

Maybe it's just cosmetic? Gives a different stance?

Mega :)

My backend is a bit higher now I think mate, like you say will be best in a few weeks as it will settle - going to get some milage on it these next two days though - proper fun :D

You wont come back Aido ....they will send out a missing persons poster....(.have you seen this man and his Aristo last seen grinning from ear to ear.... :P :lol: )

That is bizarre mate, you would think the American market would have had the softer springs!

Saying that though the HSD guys were saying it's not all about spring rates but also the valve damping rates - on paper I thought these were going to be rock hard at 14/10 but it's incredible on our roads - I definitely prefer the car now to how it was.

Will get some pics up tomorrow as it should settle a bit more overnight hopefully so I can see where it's settled and then take it from there.

This was it when I picked it up 2 years anyway - to be honest there's not a massive drop to how it's looking now:

sta60550yp1.jpg

Will be interesting to see the difference side by side!

Hello matey,

Bet it drives pretty good now it sitting level and the springs are in the right place on the shocks? :) On my IS it sits the same front and rear (measured from the wheel centre to the arch) :) you'll have to take me for a spin the next time i see you mate, it sounds a right animal :D

When i got back home last night my other half said i should of stayed up there for the night, (now she tells me.) could of gone out for a few stella's ;)

Tony is the man to help with this Aido. Do you have any idea as to corner weighting on the Aristo ?

That would help figure the weight bias front-rear and which may then need adjustment to suit....

Once that ride height is sorted, then set the chassis on the Geo.

But if you are going for ARB's I'd get them on first, run it for another 3-4 weeks till settled then go see Tony.

No idea on corner weighting to be honest mate?

As for the ARBs - I know this is probably controversial but I don't think they'll make a big difference.

Last time I did the car I did the ARBs first and then coilovers much later and noticed an improvement in both.

This time I've done it backwards - and not sure how much difference it's going to make as this think really is pretty flat already now!

Like I say a trip to Tony is definitely on the agenda, Gord has said the best thing I'm best leaving it a few weeks and then I'll have a drive down in a few weeks or so when I can drive again (only got two days left in it :crying:)

The optimum would be to keep the wishbones and steering arms horizontal, this will maintain the roll centres and the roll couple.

As for the dampening, there isn't any settings?.... Initially be guided by the manufacturer then adjust incrementally front or rear (not together) to find the ride that suits you.

Cheers dude, done a few hundred miles with them on now so will be popping down to see you in a few weeks when I can drive it :D

Done some right milage today and really happy. At full soft it's like stock ride - the damping on these things is awesome!! Harsher when you hit a pothole but on normal road surfaces it's amazing!

I did cockup though and at one point set three of the damping settings to 5 and had left one at 1 - you could tell though as the car felt weird!

It's nice having it stiffened up at the back as it accellerates quicker or at least it seems to - the backend used to dig in before it would take off whereas now it just goes - but also have noticed it's much easier to light the tyres up now!

Didn't get any pics but the car ride height is similar to that previous pic - the back is about the same and the front has come down just a bit!

I'll have a play mate before coming to see you - are there any no-nos you'd say with the damper settings - ie I'm guessing having the back totally soft and the front mega hard is silly and that they should always be within a certain percentage of each other?

I'll have a play mate before coming to see you - are there any no-nos you'd say with the damper settings - ie I'm guessing having the back totally soft and the front mega hard is silly and that they should always be within a certain percentage of each other?

As for "no, no's" not really.... just be wise..... Thing is with the dampers you can really play with transition limits as well as ride comfort.

Transition limits changes the way the chassis articulates, submarines and squats. Most times owners want a steady state condition which is perfectly understandable but i feel this misses the real point of adjustable bump/ rebound.

Play with it.... back them right off, then turn them full on.... feel the difference and decide what works for you...... As a heads up the actual positions make no difference to me during a chassis calibration since the car is static on the rig.

Nice one thank-you Tony :D

That corner weighting stuff that Wozza mentioned, is that all stuff that you do at WIM mate or is there some homework I need to do first?

Looking forward to coming and seeing you at work finally mate - just don't go disappearing into the night looking for a kebab shop this time :P

Nice one thank-you Tony :D

That corner weighting stuff that Wozza mentioned, is that all stuff that you do at WIM mate or is there some homework I need to do first?

Looking forward to coming and seeing you at work finally mate - just don't go disappearing into the night looking for a kebab shop this time :P

Corner weighting should mean moving components like fuel cell or Battery or even adding weight to obtain the correct balance. Some people think you just adjust the coil perches to move the weight.... that is not the correct way to do it.

I feel only the serious track car would benefit from corner weighting.

Corner weighting should mean moving components like fuel cell or battery or even adding weight to obtain the correct balance. Some people think you just adjust the coil perches to move the weight.... that is not the correct way to do it.

I feel only the serious track car would benefit from corner weighting.

If the engine is up front then does that mean I need to sit in the back to balance it out :lol:

Sounds good thanks mate, I doubt this is going to be seeing a track so no need to worry there then I guess :)