Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hid Kits?

lex28

hi..!

as most of you will agree, is200 bulbs arnt the brightest...

i want to upgrade the bulbs but im confused what is best and legal...

i want pure ice white, 4300k..and i want to know if they would be legal or not?? and also where to get the kit from for a 4300k brighness..

Also, how much would i be looking to pay? for main, side and fogs??

any pictures would be welcome..

cheers

Hi mate, welcome to LOC, i have THESE and they are a great mod, have a look in my gallery and see what they are like on.

Alot of people on here go for the 6000k, they look great, but for legality, im not sure, i know alot of peeps on here have passed an MOT with the 6000k ones,

Good luck, Tommy

you can get hid main and fogs off eBay, not sure if you can get hid side?

as for the legality there not technically legal as you car wasnt made with them fitted but as discussed on here many times the law is that iffy and mixed up on the subject you'll be ok. The only problem is some MOT testers will fail you for them, best thing is to swap them over the night before.

Here's an old pic showing the diff between normal and HID

DSC00036.jpg

Hi mate, welcome to LOC, i have THESE and they are a great mod, have a look in my gallery and see what they are like on.

Alot of people on here go for the 6000k, they look great, but for legality, im not sure, i know alot of peeps on here have passed an MOT with the 6000k ones,

Good luck, Tommy

lol, i was actually just on that website before i posted this thread! i do fancy the 4300k...is fitting the fog bulb straight forward and also main??

HID's are normally only fitted in the Dipped beams mate, would get expensive fitting them in the fogs and main as well.

Would just suggest some better bulbs for the other two and 4500 or 6000 HID's in the dipped beams.

Stav

yeh really really easy mate, the main is just a straight swap and you need to fix the ballasts some where. the fogs can be a little more tricky as they tend to seize up. You have to turn the wheel full lock so you can gain access to the bumber, peel back the grey bit and you can change it from there.

Here's an old pic showing the diff between normal and HID

DSC00036.jpg

WOOOOOOH what temp is the bulb on the left ? Waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay too blue !!

I'm running 6000k in my Dipped Beam which is where they are needed most (HB4/9006 also same for foglights).

Dipped is your best bet, but I am also running 6000k in my Main Beam (HB3/9005) but they rarely get used TBH.

I'd suggest either 4,300k to 6000k for best light on the road, the 6000k giving the ICE White with a tiniest hint of blue.

4300k is what most manufactuers fit to there cars. It gives a crisp white light much whiter than any incandesant bulb. MOT places should not fail you for having thoose if they are properley aligned. I would go for puting HID in dipped and main beams but i really wouldnt bother with fogs. I mean when is it even foggy enough to benifit from them. 6000k however give the brightest light arround 3200 lumin. However this light is a touch bluer than 4300 but the light they give is amazing.

Here is a pic

hid001.jpg

hid002.jpg

4300k bulbs have a slightly higher lumen output than 6000k though? The 6000ks aren't far behind but they're not quite as effective? You lose about 10-15% of efficiency with the 6000k over the 4300k?

There's a table on this link:

http://www.taillightwarehouse.com/mobile-9...0k-p-20780.html

Sorry to steel the the thread Lex 28 but have also got some questions regarding HIDs.

I am also using the standard lights and want to upgrade to HIDs.

1. Will this have any effect on the auto lights functionality (i.e will the lights still come on automatically)

2. You have side lights and the main headllights will you need a kit for both sets. (if so is not just worth to take the side lights outs, what the opnion on this as I hardly use them)

3. Will I still be able to control the beam level?

4. I want to get the colour closest to the factory xenos, (dont want them bright Blue and blind my fellow drivers) there is 4300k or 6000k which is better suited?

Thanks

Jay

Sorry to steel the the thread Lex 28 but have also got some questions regarding HIDs.

I am also using the standard lights and want to upgrade to HIDs.

1. Will this have any effect on the auto lights functionality (i.e will the lights still come on automatically)

2. You have side lights and the main headllights will you need a kit for both sets. (if so is not just worth to take the side lights outs, what the opnion on this as I hardly use them)

3. Will I still be able to control the beam level?

4. I want to get the colour closest to the factory xenos, (dont want them bright Blue and blind my fellow drivers) there is 4300k or 6000k which is better suited?

Thanks

Jay

lol dont worry my friend...

i have made up my mind to go for 4300k but i will get the fogs done, just merely for looks purposes than actual performance..

1. No effect, yes they will still come on automatically if you use that setting.

2. You have side lights, dipped beams and main beam. HIDs are for dipped or main beam, or both, not for side lights. Most people put HIDs in their dipped beams. A few have them in main beam too, and if you do that you'll need an additional HID kit.

3. Yes, you can still adjust beam level in the same way.

4. 4300K will be closest to OEM xenons and brightest. 6000K will be slightly less bright and have a very sight hint of blue (but not enough to cause problems with the police). At 8000K you start becoming more obviously blue.

Good topic this as I was thinking about HIDs for dipped beam as my first mod, I was going to get 6000k but will now go fo 4300k.

A bit wary of the possible MOT failure mention but I would have thought if your alignment was OK then it should pass?.

Can anyone confirm the bulb size for dipped on a 02 IS200 Sport?

Is the eBay kit in the link above easy to fit or will I need an auto electrician?

[

i have made up my mind to go for 4300k but i will get the fogs done, just merely for looks purposes than actual performance..

HID headlamps are in another class. But fogs could be a bit of a waste since it is against UK law to use them except when it is foggy or with just sidelights at any time. On average we don't get much fog, but when we do, the fogs are designed to be fairly dim and yellowish to make driving easier :tomato:

Good luck, Tommy

Hey Guys I just checked out these bulbs and I quite like the look of them. Can Anyone tell me if there are any threads on here which give a real idiots guide to fitting them, I know they are supposed to be dead easy to fit but I would really like to see the link.

:offtopic:

Also are there any video based fitting guides on here? I mean for anything at all I just wondered because as great as the forum is vids of people doing these things would be massively helpful. Even if it was just the simple things like fitting discs and pads or filter and plug changes. I just think it would make this forum even more invaluable if there were actual video based tutorials. Even if the videos are hosted on youtube and just linked here it would be great. Whaddya think?