Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Extend Warranty Or Not?

My RX400h this year is coming to the end of its 3 year warranty.

I am going to hang on to the car for another few years, do you think it is worth spending over £1600 on extending my warranty?

Also, it says it does not cover bulbs or headlight adjustment. So does that mean my steering lights and zenons will not be covered?

Generally, Xenon bulbs are not covered (consumables) however if they do fail, it is usually the light control module (LCM) which is covered. The £1600 cost is for two years I am guessing? For me the Lexus Warranty is the best. I see it as a necessary part not because the RX is likely to suffer from poor workmanship - but rather even simple things can be expensive to fix.

I have posted, on this forum, my experiences in claiming on the warranty and feel it has been well worth it for not only the peace of mind but also painless way in the work getting done.

Generally, xenon bulbs are not covered (consumables) however if they do fail, it is usually the light control module (LCM) which is covered. The £1600 cost is for two years I am guessing? For me the Lexus Warranty is the best. I see it as a necessary part not because the RX is likely to suffer from poor workmanship - but rather even simple things can be expensive to fix.

I have posted, on this forum, my experiences in claiming on the warranty and feel it has been well worth it for not only the peace of mind but also painless way in the work getting done.

Agree wiht ihpj...

The Lexus option is certainly not the cheapest option but i've falled foul of non-manufacturer warranty stuff before - you end up being the middle man with the garage saying one thing and the warranty company saying another. Not good. SO...for my RX I negotiated an extra 2 years when I bought it.

You could alternatively put aside the same amount as the warranty each year in a bank account - essentially a "rainy day fund". Then when you come to change your car and (if) nothing has gone wrong use it towards the new motor.

I wouldn't go down the two years together route - you just never know how long you will definitely keep the car. Renew on a year on year basis I say and keep your options open. The cost of doing two years together saves you around £50? So no real saving.

Just do a forum search for my claiming experience - but to summarise: no issues at all. Paperless, excess-less and very straightforward. One thing to remember is that when I had an issue with the wing mirror glass not tinting - it was replaced under warranty without quibble - all other Third Party Warranty Companies I know of specifically exclude ALL glass claims - something to bear in mind!

Thanks for that, really useful ideas....

I only recently descovered that my wing mirrors tint!

I also notice on the lexus extended that the levelling of headlights is not covered, my dealer said they think that means the steering lights are not covered also, do you know if this is true?