Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Third Runway

Parthiban

I'm sure I'm being really dumb, but I can't figure out what all the fuss is about regarding the third runway at Heathrow - when I flew in last week we were left circling for about 20mins until we could land, surely that's worse for the environment than having a third runway meaning planes can land as soon as they arrive?

Can anyone explain as it's got me really confused :duh:

P.S. I thought T5 was awesome! Most painless airport experience I've ever had, both going out and when coming back in again :D

Must agree about T5, was a painless experience though I travelled after the first stumblings with the baggage erors.

I can see the issues about noise etc, but how many of the local businesses depend on the airport ? So much of the

local economy is dependant, or situated there as a consequence of the airport.

Another runway can only be a good thing in my book.

Yet I have never understood people who are either near Heathrow or under the flight path, but go and buy a

house there.....and are then suprised the aircraft make any noise :tsktsk: or suprised they want to expand ?

I think its cause they're literally demolishing one and a half villages to build it.

700 homes, and shops, businesses and a school have to be bulldozed. The real problem with Heathrow is getting there, OK if you happen to live in and around London but for anywhere else it's a complete nightmare. I took an early Monday morning flight to Hanover just before Christmas, but had to travel up the night before and stay in the Heathrow Hilton as from previous experience you cannot predict the journey time for travelling the 80 miles or so on the M4.

Why not expand another regional airport, or better still build a new one at Milton Keynes. :whistling:

regardless of the queue, they will only make more planes land and build another queue.

more money for the government in green taxes and loads of handouts.

Wonder what the government will say when bio diesel engines are introduced on aircraft.. will we get cheaper taxes? of course not

More on the bio diesel stuff here: http://news.cnet.com/8301-11128_3-9877583-54.html

Cheers, that's helped explain it, but Heathrow really does need another runway - whether they add more flights or not is a separate issue, but we need an extra runway just to cope with the traffic at the moment. I'm not entirely bothered about environmental causes but I can't imagine how much fuel is wasted by the thousands of flights that circle before they're able to land...........(anyone know what mpg a plane does :P )

Yet I have never understood people who are either near Heathrow or under the flight path, but go and buy a

house there.....and are then suprised the aircraft make any noise :tsktsk: or suprised they want to expand ?

Yep I don't get that either, they move there because the houses are so cheap, and then expect it to be just as good as if they'd paid a "normal" price for them..........

Expand Stansted.

They have more space and better infastructure. Heathrow is always way down my list of airports to use coz it's such a 'mare to get in and out of.

This I do actually agree with, Stansted is always so quiet and would make far more sense to expand (plus it's even closer to me so would make it easier for me too :) )

my 2p worth as to why the fuss??

1) extra noise - I live near Heathrow so am used to it but believe me some people who have never experienced planes landing and taking off are going to get a BIG shock

2) HT is a pain in the arse to get to - M25 is bad enough but it's only going to get worse

3) it's another example of this Governments do as we say not as we do routine - they all kick us to death with "green" taxes then build an extra runway at Heathrow

4) The consultation was a typical new Labour fudge.

5) yet another bit our our countryside / communities bulldozed

6) there was no free vote on this in Parliment

7) another example of the "pull of London" - your average MP gets teh jitters outside M25 so that put teh kaibosh on any expansion to regional airports.

It'll never happen....

A conservation group have bought some land about the size of a football field which BAA forgot to purchase (doh) and it runs right on the proposed runway and they have sold pieces of this land to 220,000 people so far.....imagine the admin costs, Labour will lose the next election and the Conservatives have already said they will not support this plan.

Ita all about the £ as they reckon on average £26 is spent in the shops in the airport by every passenger that goes through the gate.

Cant understand the fuss :megaangry: ....whaaaat,.....As tango said, 700 homes, shops, school, cemetery gone.. tell me how you wold be fealing if your family home,or the cemetery were at least 5 generations are buired, or indeed your business is at, is all to be flatened.

Heathrow doesnt need an third runway, expand the others (if viable of course)

i wasnt bothered one way or the other about it but can understand FULLY what the fuss is about to the people it IS affecting.. i live approx 5 miles from the airport, also to say that people are stupid to buy a house near the airport is simple ignorant, people have to live somewhere and there are houses top be lived in, dont forget that heathrow was nowhere near as busy as it is today when most people bought there house.

@ scorps, ever heard of goverment envoking compulsary buy rights.

Yeah my bad Fargo, had been out of the country and not picked up the full story.........I do think Heathrow needs a third runway (or Stansted should be expanded instead) but it does seem they picked a bizarre way to go about it.

Plus they're planning 10 years to completion, which probably means it'll be more like 15, really does sound like quite a farce.

Paul.....the 2" pieces if turf (land) was sold to people around the globe, not just in England.

Trust me it will never happen.Some areas around Heathrow are wetlands for wildlife(a stop over) and have been coming to the area for years how are they going to evict them? look what happened in the Hudson recently.

This government are not serious about reducing the affects of climate change and never have been its all about the money......show me the money!!

For anyone intrested: http://www.notrag.org/

Celebrities buy up land needed for runway: http://www.notrag.org/old-index.php

Sign the petition to stop the go-ahead for the new runway here, it costs nothing: http://www.greenpeace.org.uk/

I have used Gatwick, Manchester & Birmingham airports on a regular basis. Never really needed to use Heathrow for my normal destinations. Similar uproar regarding Birmingham airport expansion, Coventry expansion/new terminal building.

What really interests me regarding these projects is how many of the various people who object to these projects are continuing to use the facilities as they get ever busier, hence making the expansions even more viable.

the current Mayor has backed the ban for the 3rd runway for Heathrow.

I don't believe the tories for one second, I'm pretty sure they would want this to go ahead as we really need another runway somewhere but this is all an election ploy :whistling:

Good point Dave, maybe they should ban all those opposed from using air travel - may ease the load :P