Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Hello - I am new to the forum so please be gentle, cheer!

I have a question re lexus smart entry? What is the min & max distance before the car locks and unlocks? And how do you know the car is locked without checking the door handles? ( I know , but the key fob will be in your pocket) :winky:

Why I ask is - My friend had his boot opened and things stolen from his car with no signs of damage to the vehicle! He said he parks his car on the driveway too close to the house with the keys in the house.

Next question is....how can he prevent this from happening again (serious replies only pls!) Surely people at lexus would have thought of this!

Thanks All :)

The fob should only have a range of a few feet. I can be standing behind my wife who is trying to open the boot and the fob is out of range.

To check if its locked, try the back doors.

With the doors it's about 2.5ft & probably a similar distance with the boot.

When you press the door handle button to lock the car you should hear the locks activate and will also see the buttons inside the doors snap shut. The indicators will also flash as the locks come on.

If the car's locked the red light on the dash panel will flash on & off to indicate to all of the miscreants and :shifty: hobbledehoys who frequent the darker corners of society that the car is secured and the alarms are active.

If the car's locked the red light on the dash panel will flash on & off to indicate to all of the miscreants and :shifty: hobbledehoys who frequent the darker corners of society that the car is secured and the alarms are active.

You definitely deserve an award for using the word "hobbledehoys" on a Lexus forum for what must be the first time ever.

Well done that man! :)

"Lexus - The Pursuit of Perfection - and a greater vocabulary"

I always thought the distance was quite small, but after seeing that Top Gear with the Dodge Challenger I'm a little more sceptical about the technology. Think if I had one I'd check it with different distances and make sure the key is always well out of the range within which it works.

Are there any devices criminals could use to boost the signal to find the key at a greater distance?

You definitely deserve an award for using the word "hobbledehoys" on a Lexus forum for what must be the first time ever.

Well done that man! :)

"Lexus - The Pursuit of Perfection - and a greater vocabulary"

Thank you for that. Is my award a straight exchange of my '06 220d for an '08 250 SE Auto? :lol::yahoo: at no cost?

If you lock/unlock from the fob, the lights flash. Keyless entry only unlocks the doors when you grab the handle, but the door mirror lights come on as you approach.

If you unlock the car, but don't open the door, it locks itself after a about a minute.

So methinks your mate must have left the car unlocked after parking up...

And how do you know the car is locked without checking the door handles? ( I know , but the key fob will be in your pocket) :winky:

You can try one of the rear doors to see if the car has locked. Touching a rear door handle doesn't unlock the car. This is obviously only true if you have it setup to unlock all doors when you switch off.....

Has anyone tried this out with their cars? If you park on your drive in front of your house, could you potentially keep the key anywhere inside where it would still be possible to open the car?

Has anyone tried this out with their cars? If you park on your drive in front of your house, could you potentially keep the key anywhere inside where it would still be possible to open the car?

Yes, and No!!

Basically, if I recall, as you walk up to the car the puddle lights come on, but you can't open the door unless you're within 3 feet or so of the front door. My kids used to run up to the car (faster than me, obviously) and yank at the handle whilst I walked up to it, and nothing would happen until I was "almost there", but the puddle lights would have lit from approx 6-10 feet.

I have a feeling that the boot hadn't been closed. There is a button inside the glove box to stop you opening the boot from the outside, key or no key.

I would still love to be able to set the car to emit an audible beep when locking.

It's certainly possible, and the car even beeps when you leave it with the engine on and the key in your pocket.

Anyone know how, or even if a dealership will do it?

I would still love to be able to set the car to emit an audible beep when locking.

It's certainly possible, and the car even beeps when you leave it with the engine on and the key in your pocket.

Anyone know how, or even if a dealership will do it?

i asked about this function when i took delivery,the dealer said it was possible to do but,was against uk law and therefore they could not.

yeah, I know.

It's also against UK law to drive with your fog lights on in non foggy conditions, or to beep your horn for anything other than as a warning ;)

I bet it's as simple as a few correct button pushes - you'd think SOMEONE knows - or even that they'd do it and leave it up to the owner to take the consequences...

Why is it illegal anyway?

.... And how do you know the car is locked without checking the door handles? ( I know , but the key fob will be in your pocket) :winky:

If you press the lock button on the handle, keep hold. This won't unlock it immediately - just pull it to test. Or, try a rear handle.

Why I ask is - My friend had his boot opened and things stolen from his car with no signs of damage to the vehicle! He said he parks his car on the driveway too close to the house with the keys in the house.

Next question is....how can he prevent this from happening again (serious replies only pls!) Surely people at lexus would have thought of this!

Thanks All :)

It would have to be VERY close for the system to allow opening. I would go more for a key being stuck or something. Is he absolutely sure the boot open key couldn't be being pressed? I've done this myself by mistake, depending where I've placed my keys.

Maybe something has spilt on the keyfob and the button is faulty? Maybe the keyfob itself is faulty? How about taking the Battery out of that one and using the other keyfob?

Is there any way he could be knocking the boot open switch just below the dash when they get out or something? I'm sure the alarm doesn't warn you if the boot is open - it still activates as normal in the cab area.

Also, to open the boot with the external button, the key has to be at that end of the car. If you leave it inside the car, engine on or off and go to the boot, it won't open. There are sensors in several places to determine the key's location, so the likelyhood of the hobbledehoys (fantastic word btw!) getting stuff *if* he had locked it and the key was in the house is a remote (pardon the pun) one.

Looks like he's left the doors open and they have simply pressed the boot release button in the car. Like others say, even if you leave the keys in the armrest it wont open by pressing the external boot button, your out of range........ Maybe he had locked the car but did push the boot down and the little Skanks just spotted it slightly open when passing by??????

Tell him not to hold the lock button in on the keyfob for too long either. It opens all the windows!!!!!!!!!! I found out when i went to get in my old SE one morning after a night of rain :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: Not good for Beige leather. Another reason for changing it!!!!!!!!!

• 2 months later...
Looks like he's left the doors open and they have simply pressed the boot release button in the car. Like others say, even if you leave the keys in the armrest it wont open by pressing the external boot button, your out of range........ Maybe he had locked the car but did push the boot down and the little Skanks just spotted it slightly open when passing by??????

Tell him not to hold the lock button in on the keyfob for too long either. It opens all the windows!!!!!!!!!! I found out when i went to get in my old SE one morning after a night of rain :crybaby: :crybaby: :crybaby: Not good for Beige leather. Another reason for changing it!!!!!!!!!

Mine did a similar thing. Opened the boot and the windows on its own. I was several hundred feet away. Eventually it stopped un-locking properly. Lexus have just changed the fobs, decoder and ECU. Apparently the older models can be affected by Sky+!!!. They are susceptible to radio frequencies near their band. Take it back to the dealer and have all the elctronics changed. I did and it is now fine plus my mpg is much better.