Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Fiesta Problem

Steviewevie

A friend of mine is having a problem with her Fiesta, wonder if anyone out there in LOC-land might have any ideas. This isn't the same friend whose "clutch" problem turned out to be a mat stuck under the accelerator pedal lol.

This is what she said :

05/06 Fiesta... It's an intermittent problem, so the diagnostics can't always detect something's wrong. My car is over/under-revving atm, and almost stalled on me today whilst driving round a roundabout during rush hour... I swear this car is going to get me killed :o

I was just wondering if anyone knew if both things were related?

I called the AA out when I was on M11 a couple of months ago, and they said it was the Throttle Position Sensor, but the Ford Garage I took it to said it was a problem with the computer. I just need to get my car fixed!!!! Any ideas what's wrong with this damn automobile?

Could be almost anything - TPS sounds plausible but if the dealer checked it and said it was OK then it probably is. I wonder why there aren't any diagnostic codes stored in the ECU? Intermittent or not, they should be logged by the ECU anyway and stored for retrieval later.

One other option could be dirty fuel causing occasional blocks in the supply?

Is it the old shape fiesta? the curvy one?

Check the ICV (idle control valve). It was the same on my old Ka. they get blocked up and dont work properly, eventually it'll become so worn the car will just over rev all the time.

Should be something like this:

ad81_35.JPG

That picture was nicked off eBay.

What engine is the car?

ok, here's the latest she's given me on the problem :

My car had the transmission warning light come on (yellow, not red) and the engine fault said it's my Throttle Position Sensor, according to the AA patrol man. But because it only comes on after I've been driving for about an hour (its happened twice now, both on journey's to Norfolk!) it resets itself when I turn the car off overnight, so the Ford Garage couldn't find anything wrong with it on their diagnostics check, they said it was a problem with the computer, not the TPS. (I got it checked the first time, Inchcape Ford said nothing was wrong, next time I drove to KL it came on when I hit the M11 and I had 75miles to go with no power!! I can drive the car, but apparently it's a safety feature and lowers emissions.

I don't feel safe in it at all, especially now it's over-revving when I start it up, then dropping way down to nearly stalling when I stop at roundabouts!!! I've asked [ an AA bloke I know ] to plug his computer into again tomorrow. I'm thinking I may have a crazy computer and it's just going to keep going wrong!

Does that still sound like the same problem ? Presumably some sort of code came up pointing towards the TPS but that might of course be a red herring.

possibly, mine was on the 1.3 engine. cant see it being a whole lot different.

I think the 1.25 is a completely different engine to the 1.3. The 1.3 is the older CVH unit, the 1.25 was a brand new Zetec-SE engine developed from scratch.

Whether that makes a difference to your suggestion I don't know!

Just had a poke about on some Ford forums, seems a few people have much the same issue, and most of them have been related to the idle control valve.

Looks like a good place to start, anyway! Incidentally people are coming up with problems both stalling AND over-revving, both related to that part.

2 mates of mine had the same problems mate. was idle control valve. soak it in carb cleaner for a few hours, or overnight and that should sort it out. if not, would have thought you could pick one up for 30/40ish quid??