Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Importing An Aristo

japanese lowrider

After looking at an Aristo for sale yesterday and finding scratches round the vin plate and an interior that had done more miles than the clock said i left feeling that all is true about peoples view on imports! Has anyone imported their own or know of anybody that has done this what are the risks apart from not being able to test drive it before hand. There are alot of websites that will bring the car to your door but are they any good there will of course be some run by crooks but not all surly?

I think that the major influx of imports over the last few years must have been good news for car clockers and crash damage repairs. as for british cars you have hpi ,AA,amongst other used car checks .you can also phone previous owners, look at service history ,phone dealers for info if they have had the car to do work on ,check previous mots, etc.as for the import you have nowt every thing is on trust or paper work from japan .Even the dealers get stung i heard of one the other day who imported three cars only to find out they were stolen in japan ,He had to pay the insurance company in japan a premium just so he could keep them .Also it is never a good idea to let someone bring a car to you always buy at their place it is much easier if you need to contact them in the future

Good advice.

However, if you submit the VIN number to www.usaveauto.co.uk, they will tell you year and colour.

If the car has had it's VIN altered, it probably won't match the data back from usaveauto. This is in conjunction with an Interpol check on the vehicle when being imported.

Low security on Jap cars made them an easy target - there are only 3 chassis numbers stamped on an Aristo and the keys typically come without microchip. They also come without locking wheel nuts which just shows you the low crime rate of Japan.

Most of the theft is through Hong Kong/Chinese/Jap gangs (yakuza anyone?), a small minority who use 'agencies' to front their stolen Jap cars.

So how do they get away with it? Simple, they change the VIN typically to a future number, therefore Interpol check the car and it comes clean. Why? Because technically the VIN number hasn't been assigned to any car as yet.

Example - if the VIN is JZS-161-19123, the '1' can be easily modified to a '4'. New VIN is JZS-161-49123.

This new VIN '49123' will enevitably pass through Interpol, AA etc. checks. Meanwhile the Jap police/Interpol are looking for car number '19123'

Other method is to alter the VIN to a current car on the road in Japan, a 'cloned VIN', again, fairly undetectable but much less common method.

By checking the VIN with www.usaveauto.co.uk you can locate the date of manufacture, if it doesn't match the your car's supposed date of manufacture then it's a stoler.

Final and sure method is the chemical test on the bulkhead VIN, which can be carried out by police stolen car squad. This is sure fire and will tell you straight away if there is any filler or alteration.

I also forgot to mention that a VIN can be calculated mathematically, however, I could never interpret the Jap VIN into the formula correctly.

VINs should check out mathematically in theory, this is the whole idea of the 'VIN number'.

• 5 years later...
Good advice.

However, if you submit the VIN number to www.usaveauto.co.uk, they will tell you year and colour.

If the car has had it's VIN altered, it probably won't match the data back from usaveauto. This is in conjunction with an Interpol check on the vehicle when being imported.

Low security on Jap cars made them an easy target - there are only 3 chassis numbers stamped on an Aristo and the keys typically come without microchip. They also come without locking wheel nuts which just shows you the low crime rate of Japan.

Most of the theft is through Hong Kong/Chinese/Jap gangs (yakuza anyone?), a small minority who use 'agencies' to front their stolen Jap cars.

So how do they get away with it? Simple, they change the VIN typically to a future number, therefore Interpol check the car and it comes clean. Why? Because technically the VIN number hasn't been assigned to any car as yet.

Example - if the VIN is JZS-161-19123, the '1' can be easily modified to a '4'. New VIN is JZS-161-49123.

This new VIN '49123' will enevitably pass through Interpol, AA etc. checks. Meanwhile the Jap police/Interpol are looking for car number '19123'

Other method is to alter the VIN to a current car on the road in Japan, a 'cloned VIN', again, fairly undetectable but much less common method.

By checking the VIN with www.usaveauto.co.uk you can locate the date of manufacture, if it doesn't match the your car's supposed date of manufacture then it's a stoler.

Final and sure method is the chemical test on the bulkhead VIN, which can be carried out by police stolen car squad. This is sure fire and will tell you straight away if there is any filler or alteration.

Had a look at an aristo last week, someone told me about this post, and the vin plate had been messed with, and log book was saying GS300,didn't buy in the end, but wished i had seen this post before as i could of checked the vin plate :D

Had a look at an aristo last week, someone told me about this post, and the vin plate had been messed with, and log book was saying GS300,didn't buy in the end, but wished i had seen this post before as i could of checked the vin plate :D

This thread nearly went 6 years without a post :lol:

You looking for a V300 then dude?

I know that Aristo's like mine start with the chasis code JZS161 and the UK GS300 cars are JZS160.

Would it be possible to have a Twin Turbo Aristo registered as a GS300? A work friend is looking for a GS300 (I should be on comission! :lol:) He says he has seen a car he thought was a GS300 which the seller has described as an Aristo Twin Turbo and it has a Toyota badge on the steering wheel. He has checked the logbook and it says its a GS300?? Just makes me think something is dodgy or is it possible to import a non-turbo?

I am going to get him to check the VIN plate when he goes to view it again; if the car has a JZS160 (UK GS300) VIN yet has the 2JZ-GTE Twin Turbo engine then does that mean something is a miss? :o

I know with imports the log books are not always accurate. I have been looking at the Mitsubishi forums and know that the logbook info can be pretty innacurate with most FQ cars being registered as an FQ-300 regardless of the actual model (FQ-300, FQ-320, 340, 360, 400 etc) Is it a similar situation with the Aristo?

Thanks,

Anees :)

I think so mate, Mr Ellen mentioned this to me when I got mine!

I think some did get put on the logbook as a Lexus GS300 and it also means cheaper car insurance!

Mine literally just says Toyota Saloon - was quality when I tried to get it MOT'd once near me - they couldn't do it as they didn't know how to input it!

There is the S300 in Japan which is the NA version same as the GS300 over here :)

If it's a 160 then that's a GS300 / S300 I believe as they carry the same model numbers I think. The 161 is just the GTE version.

The 430 is another code again!

Thing is though mate, I thought that a VIN number identified what the car was (make and model)? So IF in this case the car my mate has seen DOES have the JZS160 (UK car or S300 VIN number) yet has the Twin Turbo engine then that can't be right can it?

I don't see how a car with the JZS161 chasis number can be down as an Aristo Twin Turbo for some people and a GS300 for others unless something dodgy is going or or maybe something to do with then they came over? Mine came over in July 1999.

PS Just checked my logbook and its the same as yours Aido - just says Toyota Saloon :)

Thing is though mate, I thought that a VIN number identified what the car was (make and model)? So IF in this case the car my mate has seen DOES have the JZS160 (UK car or S300 VIN number) yet has the Twin Turbo engine then that can't be right can it?

I don't see how a car with the JZS161 chasis number can be down as an Aristo Twin Turbo for some people and a GS300 for others unless something dodgy is going or or maybe something to do with then they came over? Mine came over in July 1999.

PS Just checked my logbook and its the same as yours Aido - just says Toyota Saloon :)

I'm with you mate - if it's JZS160 and a twin turbo then it's either an engine transplant or a VIN plate transplant :lol:

I think a lot of it is just down to whatever the person filling the paperwork in filled in - does seem open to misinterpretation though with a lot of side effects later on - ie insurance etc!

I've already been stopped by the police once as the logbook said Toyota but the car had a Lexus badge! He was happy when he saw the steering wheel and was more interested in what was under the hood then :lol:

I'm with you mate - if it's JZS160 and a twin turbo then it's either an engine transplant or a VIN plate transplant :lol:

I think the engine transplate is probably unlikely; much more likely to be the VIN plate transplant which is my worry, especially with Yoshi's post above about organised crime and stolen cars from Japan. Maybe some crime syndicate or whatever would change the VIN numbers over. :question:

Im just a grave digger mate :P After seeing Anees the other week, sort of wanting one, Anees has said i can have drive to sort of make up my mind :duh:

Im just a grave digger mate :P After seeing Anees the other week, sort of wanting one, Anees has said i can have drive to sort of make up my mind :duh:

You are welcome anytime mate. This week I have used it all week to go to work and I must say the cup holders are great! LOL

Hey Anees - I had the front ones missing on mine and found out that 55618‑30021 is the little widget that fits in the front tray if you're missing that so I'll have 4 when I fit my back seats back in!

I'm popping up to Steve's on Monday so may see you guys around :D

Hey Anees - I had the front ones missing on mine and found out that 55618‑30021 is the little widget that fits in the front tray if you're missing that so I'll have 4 when I fit my back seats back in!

I'm popping up to Steve's on Monday so may see you guys around :D

Thanks mate but I got one from a GS300 ;) :) The great thing about them is that I can have my morning pot of yogurt while stopped at lights, holds its really well etc - really nifty for me coming from a car (BMW) with NO cup holders. :lol:

Anyway.......... so what are the obvious signs that a cars VIN have been tamped with? I know on the Aristo it has the big VIN plate, but is the number stamped anywhere else too like on the bulkhead etc?

The great thing about them is that I can have my morning pot of yogurt....

Anyway.......... so what are the obvious signs that a cars VIN have been tamped with? I know on the Aristo it has the big VIN plate, but is the number stamped anywhere else too like on the bulkhead etc?

Yoghurt :o

You've just lost man points there :lol:

No idea on the number mate, one for Yoshi maybe?

yes the number is on the bulkhead. Also my v5 says gs300 s auto but it definately is an aristo v300,i did a poll on clubaristo a while back and it turns quite a few aristo's out there are registered as gs's and all sorts ...........dvla dont know jack! or whoever fills them forms out lol,its alright for me though cheaper to get insured

The great thing about them is that I can have my morning pot of yogurt....

Yoghurt :o

You've just lost man points there :lol:

No idea on the number mate, one for Yoshi maybe?

Yer but if Anees gets a bit of fluff in the car, the yoghurt could come in handy :winky:

Importers used to register Soarers and Aristos as Lexus rather than Toyota so that they could charge more.

At least they did until one was prosecuted after someone bought a "Lexus" Soarer then found out that there was no such thing :)

They also used to write the date the car was imported in the date first registered box "by mistake"......

That's certainly interesting - I wonder if it just had the engine conversion done at some point then?

I'm trying to think what would give away it's a TT engine transplant.

Does it have the screen in the satnav as when you turn the car on that says Aristo if it's a real one, plus there will be the kickplates all around the car that say it too mate

That's certainly interesting - I wonder if it just had the engine conversion done at some point then?

I'm trying to think what would give away it's a TT engine transplant.

Does it have the screen in the satnav as when you turn the car on that says Aristo if it's a real one, plus there will be the kickplates all around the car that say it too mate

Yes Aido, all jap writing everything to say it an Aristo, im 100% sure its Aristo, but its the vin plate that has been changed, why i dont know, might be to make it look like GS300 for insurance :question: it saying GS300 on log book to, the post above have said that some importer put this and that on the paperwork, i can understand that, but why change the vin plate to :question: i know why uk cars have vin plate changed :o

yes the number is on the bulkhead. Also my v5 says gs300 s auto but it definately is an aristo v300,i did a poll on clubaristo a while back and it turns quite a few aristo's out there are registered as gs's and all sorts ...........dvla dont know jack! or whoever fills them forms out lol,its alright for me though cheaper to get insured

If you don't mind me asking, does your VIN start JZS161 then?????

@Gord - the insurance is an interesting consideration. Hmmm...

If you don't mind me asking, does your VIN start JZS161 then?????

@Gord - the insurance is an interesting consideration. Hmmm...

To true, if you insure it as lexus GS300 just coz it saying so on your log book, but you are going to know its not, so i dont think you are going to be insured if you have an accident, as we know the insurance will look at everthing to get out of paying :D

yes its an aristo so it does start with jzs161 , and i insure it as gs300 import and mention it everytime when renewing policies that its a japanese import. my car has lexus badges and gs300 on the boot many people in japan have changed it to lexus badges which is why i think my car has them altough i would prefer toyota on the car . anyway with regards to insurance in my case THEY are insuring a gs300 IMPORT so should any claim arise surely they would know that it will be different to uk spec ?