Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

Front Tyre Stepping Is250

Hi.

I wonder if anybody else has experienced the same problems I have been having with my IS250. I had a new set of tyres put on the car front and back in September 2008. They had done from new 35k miles, so I was happy with replacing them with the same as were fitted when new. After about 4k miles I developed a droning noise from the front of the car. Took it to my Lexus dealer in Chester and the advised that the front wheel bearings would require changing as they identified this as the problem. When I went to collect the car they had changed the front wheel bearings and discs all under warranty. Great I thought! After say 20 metres from the garage I realised the noise was still apparent. After speaking to the garage I was told that the pads had not been changed as they looked fine. I then paid for the pads to be changed, but yet again this did not fix the problem. After another few visits we found that the noise seemed to disappear when the front wheels were changed. I was then told that the tyres were the problem. I took the car back to the garage where the tyres were fitted and they instantly identified the problem that the 2 front tyres were "stepping". When you ran your hand around the tyre against the direction of rotation you could clearly feel that the tread sections had raised at the front end and were lower at the rear of each single tread. The garage kindly replaced both front tyres with the same again, I have filled out a form and awaiting the reply from Bridgestone. The tyre supplier have footed the bill thus far as I have used them for a number of years, but I will need to pay him once he gets the report for the tyre wear to date (approx 4K miles), if they agree it is a tyre defect. The tyre people informed me this was usually due to front shock absorber problems. The car has been regularly serviced by Lexus, and I have advised them of this comment. They seem adamant that the problem lies solely with the tyres.

Before I receive the report, has anybody else experienced problems with the front tyres wearing, noise other than the usually slightly higher than expected road noise or problems with front shocks. I would appreciate any help.

Thanks.

The same thing happened to mine with a set of Dunlop SP Sport.

I described the sound to the tyre guy (from etyres.co.uk) and he said it was as you described- tread slap I think he called it. He said it was usually poor tyre design rather than car set-up that caused it. Directional tyres, e.g Pirelli Pzero, Goodyear GSD etc are also noisier he said.

When he fitted a set of Sportmaxx all round the "rurrurrurrur" noise disappeared.

Cheers.

Wrr Wrr Wrr is exactly the sound!

I am still waiting for the report from the tyre manufacturer. I hope they acknowledge the same. If not my Lexus dealer in Chester has offered to get involved as they have checked the car over thoroughly and say the car set up is fine. I suspect they do not want problems like this with tyres that are fitted as standard when new being associated with the car.

• 3 months later...

My dunlops are stepping on the inner and outer edges, no luck from dealer (started making the noise at 22K, from new). Is it a tyre problem or lexus problem.

I had the same on my is300 always after 25k miles. Mostly motorway driving. this was with bridgestones and goodyears.

toyota have this problem with the rear tyres on the corolla, avensis and corolla verso!some tyres cure the problem some make it worse.

• 3 weeks later...

My original Bridgestones were always tram-lining and the car pulled to the left on breaking sometimes. Both fronts had bad inner wear after only 12K. So I replaced them with Toyos and the car is totally different. Smooth light steering, no tram-lining and a lot quieter.

When I went to collect the car they had changed the front wheel bearings and discs all under warranty....After speaking to the garage I was told that the pads had not been changed as they looked fine. I then paid for the pads to be changed...

WTF? How can they justify changing the discs only? New discs = new pads, doesn't matter if they 'look' fine as pads bed in according to the disc; so when you get new discs, you get new pads. I can't believe a Lexus Dealer would behave in this way...then again I've recently heard of a BMW Main Dealer telling a customer that its 'OK to have non-RFTs on the front and RFTs on the rear' - I mean WTF? These Dealers are taking the **** ***** with our safety and they should be brought to book.

I wouldn't have paid for the pads to be changed as they made the decision to change out the discs (presumably under warranty) so I would expect the same of the pads.

As for the tyre quality issues, Crapstones have to be the WORST tyre I have ever come across. They are truly AWFUL and the first chance people get to dump them, they should take it. I couldn't wait to dump the Crapstones fitted to our RX [went with Contis] and they totally transformed the driveability of the car. Get a proper tyre fitted and then see if the issues exist...most times the fault will go away and your car will handle and perform as it should. Crapstones cause more problems than they are worth.

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the information.

The saga still continues.

The Lexus Dealer (whom is trying to sell me another new car) has undertaken a 4 wheel laser alignment for me. They took the old tyres back and had them sent away for an independant inspection. The 4 wheel alignment which they undertook showed a toe on the front wheels of 13' on the lft and 11' on the right.

They informed me this is "out of the standard settings".

They then adjusted the settings to give me 1' both sides. I queried with them if 11' and 13' would cause this tyre wear, and they say yes (of course). The tyres are not covered under warranty and I have to whistle for my money :whistling: .

Can anybody tell me what the correct settings should be for the IS250 with standard 17" wheels and suspension?

I have asked why on earth they changed the wheel bearings and discs and am waiting for their response. I also asked if they needed cahnging, why? and could this of caused the tyre wear.

After another few visits we found that the noise seemed to disappear when the front wheels were changed.

If you simply swap front wheels the tyre rotation will be reversed with directional tyres. I know this mistake can be made because my dealer marks the rotation arrows with a highlighter so the fitter can't get it wrong.

You really need to talk to Tony Bones @ WIM.( WHEELS-INMOTION.co.uk )...Inner tyre wear is a common problem not only on the IS200/300 but also on the IS250/220d (but not as bad ) the lexus positions make the inner tyre wear worse and will wear your tyres out quicker......

Do a search there has been plenty of topics on the problem...

As for the tyre noise...it will always become worse when the tyre are running very low on tread depth and near the end of there life. so to speak...