Do Not Sell My Personal Information Jump to content

The Redd Hid Load Test

aido

Just saw this over at another forum - a way of testing your aftermarket HIDs to make sure everything is working ok!

Redd HID Load Test

After the HIDs are installed, do the following test:

1. Turn on all electricals - turn on lights, front and rear fogs, hazards, a/c, blower on max, radio, rear demister, etc.

2. stand on the brakes (for the brake lights). you want to fully load the electrical system, especially the lighting system.

3. turn on the HIDs. if the lights come on with no problems, it's passed stage 1.

4. Stage 2 - flash your high beams. take note of any irregular behavior of the HIDs - ie cutting out when high beams on, etc. most failures happen at this stage.

5. if you've failed stage 2, wire ur HIDs direct to battery with relays and run the test again. if it fails again, change the HID kit.

http://www.italiaauto.net/viewtopic.php?t=...p;view=previous

My kit sometimes played up so wish I'd have thought about trying this back then!

If the ballasts do fail this due to being picky it may be a sign that they're on the way out?

I didnt realise they still did them like that, first set I ever had was like that in that you had to ground to the body and connect to the Battery but the other two sets I tried just worked straight off the connection from the lights - any that connect straight to the Battery will be fine :)

I didnt realise they still did them like that, first set I ever had was like that in that you had to ground to the body and connect to the battery but the other two sets I tried just worked straight off the connection from the lights - any that connect straight to the battery will be fine :)

A lot of the kits you buy now mate give you a couple of options for fitting, on the last couple of sets i've had you get a wiring harness that goes direct to the Battery with all the relays and fuses, or you can plug them straight into the headlamp wiring :)